paired phone "auto connects" when in range

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 04:04 PM
10th Gear

paired phone "auto connects" when in range

I'm new here so go easy... I have 07 TL and 'paired' two phones to the HFL. When my phone is in close proximity to the car it 'connects' to the HFL. The first phone I 'paired', I have to manually 'search' for the device. Anyone have any ideas as to why my one phone 'connects' automatically? I tried the search function to no avail. By the way, we are now a two TL family. Love them both.

2000 TL
2007 TL
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:34 PM
now with four rings

this is just off the top of my head, but i think it either depends on the driver (1 or 2) that enters the car that will determine which phone connects to the HFL OR if both phones are connected to one driver, then i think it depends on the phone in the first paired slot...or it could be the last phone that was connected to the HFL that will connect first...

and welcome to AZ...
Old 01-10-2007 | 05:08 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by wizard1
The first phone I 'paired', I have to manually 'search' for the device. Anyone have any ideas as to why my one phone 'connects' automatically?
My understanding was that the phone is supposed to automatically pair up with the car once the ignition is turned on UNLESS you manually shut off Bluetooth on the phone (which I do when at home or in the office to conserve phone's battery power). It sounds like the first phone you paired needs a software update if it does not automatically pair up to the TL's HFL.
The prior post is also correct- the car will connect to the nearest paired phone automatically, and you must manually select another phone to use (i.e. if you want to use your phone, but your spouse/SO has a phone that connected first).
By the way, your phone should only pair up when the TL's ignition is on; otherwise the HFL is drawing power and defective if you are pairing up before the ignition is turned.
Old 01-10-2007 | 05:56 PM
10th Gear

Let me clarify to rimz and Will Y. My wife is driver 1 and I'm 2. When she pulls in the driveway and I'm in the house my phone connects. This is even when she enters the car as driver one with here phone on. It does not auto connect; She has to 'locate device.' Both phones are Razr V3 GSM by Cingular. Let me add that my phone was the second one paired. Does it recognize the last paired phone first? Maybe?
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:09 PM
now with four rings

let me ask you something: in your bluetooth settings on your phone, is the acura HandsFreeLink set up to automatically connect to your car...? if so and your wife's isn't, then that is why she is having to 'locate device' everytime and yours is automatically connecting...i have mine set up to automatically connect (it's known as an 'authorized' device when it connects automatically) to my TL, but my phone is the only one that connects to the car between my wife and i...

so check your bluetooth settings and report back...
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by wizard1
Both phones are Razr V3 GSM by Cingular. Let me add that my phone was the second one paired. Does it recognize the last paired phone first? Maybe?
The TL recognizes the nearest paired phone on auto-connect. If both you and your wife have paired phones on, the first one in range of the HFL will connect; the order of pairing doesn't matter.
Rimz probably has the right answer- check the Bluetooth setting on your wife's phone.
Otherwise, visit a nearby Acura dealer and have it set up wife's phone for you.