One-step DVD-A Burning Software

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One-step DVD-A Burning Software

I know someone's going to flame me for this, but I've honestly searched, scoured and re-read as many messages as I POSSIBLY can and can't find the answer.

Sometime last year an AZ member posted about a one-step DVD-a burning software he got that does EVERYTHING all in one program. Converts MP3s, organizes into groups, creates the ISO and burns the DVD. The post was inside some threat about Adobeman's burning techniques which work great, but take a LOT of time. So when I saw mention of this for-pay software, I (of course) immediately downloaded the trail versioin then bought the full version since it worked FLAWLESSLY.

Since then, I've gotten a new laptop and I can't find the title of this amazing software anywhere. And I can't find a receipt for what I bought anywhere in my email. (Blame it on being dumb, blame it on being lazy... whatever. I can't find it.)

Anyway, if anyone remembers the name of it or knows of one to try, I'd be greatly appreciative of the info!

I've found a few by Google-ing different search strings, but still can't come upon this one I got last year.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burn Now 1.5 ?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Study

Disk welder chrome?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
http://tloftulsa.com/dvda/download.php?download=9

I use Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo. Works perfect.

http://www.cirlinca.com/
The following users liked this post:
hannamand (07-01-2016)
Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 AM
My TL can do this, too!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jnc2000
I use Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo. Works perfect.

http://www.cirlinca.com/
Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PO
Originally Posted by jnc2000
PHEW! EUREKA!

Now... if only I can find my old license code! :P

Thanks so much!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Ok I have a question on this topic. I found the software a user on here wrote for DVDA stuff. But I have been less then pleased with it. Although it was free, so I have to thank him for the effort.

But that software converts mp3s to wav then creates an iso file to burn. I burn the iso with Nero.

Does this software do the mp3 conversion as well? Or is this only for burning the proper format for dvd-a?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Let me get this straight. You want to convert MP3's to DVD-A ?
If so why on gods green earth would you do that ? You will not get any better sound than a piece of crap MP3 so it is NOT worth the effort.
The only time its worth the hassle of making a DVD-A is if you have 5.1 in it's raw form from a Video CD, or what ever and want to persevere that awesome sound so you can play it in your car.
Playing MP'3 in a TL although convenient is a total waste!!
Ever hear of the term "sound fidelity" a DVD-A or 5.1 has it, an MP3 does not.

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Ok I have a question on this topic. I found the software a user on here wrote for DVDA stuff. But I have been less then pleased with it. Although it was free, so I have to thank him for the effort.

But that software converts mp3s to wav then creates an iso file to burn. I burn the iso with Nero.

Does this software do the mp3 conversion as well? Or is this only for burning the proper format for dvd-a?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmark
If so why on gods green earth would you do that ? You will not get any better sound than a piece of crap MP3 so it is NOT worth the effort.
The only time its worth the hassle of making a DVD-A is if you have 5.1 in it's raw form from a Video CD, or what ever and want to persevere that awesome sound so you can play it in your car.
well maybe theres programs that convert mp3s to raw 5.1 quality. remember, its not like the original DVD-A's with 5.1 were that way from the beginning. they were initially converted.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Nope not a chance! Let's say a singer or instrument hits a 16khz note at at 15.0003234023420343240 seconds into the song. How is something going to replace that? You can't make something out of nothing!
Once an song is taken to MP3 status it is junk for high fidelity, PERIOD!
Having said that, there are a lot of excellent video DVD's that contain a 5.1 track and are well worth the work of converting to DVD-A or 5.1 to play them to play on Acura's player.

Originally Posted by paliknight
well maybe theres programs that convert mp3s to raw 5.1 quality. remember, its not like the original DVD-A's with 5.1 were that way from the beginning. they were initially converted.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Jmark-well said!! Spoken like a true audiofile. In this day and age, we are such a convenience oriented society....thus MP3's. Most iPOD lovers don't realize that those MP3 files "squish" music down about 7-1/2 times their original size-FOR CONVENIENCE'S SAKE. That way, they're portable.

I'm interested in buying the cirlinca.com program. I know it's $45. Does anyone know how well this program works? How does the program separate the music and divide it up into a surround sound mix? Can you manually separate the music with this program? As you can see, I have alot of quesitons about cirlinca.com before I buy. Can anyone shed some light?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Yes I'm an old Audiophile guy, and my wife and pretty much taken care of that. So no it's the best 5.1 I and Stereo I can get with a mainly video setup.
It's a funny thing because I had all this Audiophile equipment sitting in a bedroom for years and when I finally went to get rid of 20-30 year equipment I could not believe the high price people where willing to pay for it!
Anyway I've used the long time consuming method of converting 5.1 sound using Disk welder chrome and all its steps. It's been so long since I'm made a disk I don't recall the steps.
The program you mention sounds like it might do the trick. I'll check with a few friends to see if I can come up with a copy to try. If I do I'll let you know.

John
Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Jmark-well said!! Spoken like a true audiofile. In this day and age, we are such a convenience oriented society....thus MP3's. Most iPOD lovers don't realize that those MP3 files "squish" music down about 7-1/2 times their original size-FOR CONVENIENCE'S SAKE. That way, they're portable.

I'm interested in buying the cirlinca.com program. I know it's $45. Does anyone know how well this program works? How does the program separate the music and divide it up into a surround sound mix? Can you manually separate the music with this program? As you can see, I have alot of quesitons about cirlinca.com before I buy. Can anyone shed some light?

Steven, instead of responding to your PM I'll reply here.

Yes the program does burn DVD-Audio discs. But - the source files must be encoded correctly first to enable a true surround sound feel. Most FLAC to WAV - OGG to WAV encoders only leave the file in 2 channel stereo sound. This is fine - and IMO still sounds good, however if you start with 2 channel, manipulating 6 separate channels is tedious, sometimes hard process.

There are two ways this can be done. On the 07-08' TLs Acura has a Dolby DTS encoder. This is a physical DOLBY chipset located on the main processing board of the audio unit. Acura knows that there are not many DVD-A based discs out there, thus many of its buyers will be listening to your traditional CD. By turning on this feature you allow the DTS to simulate the surround sound. Make no mistake the source is still 2 channel audio - however output is via all 6 channels. If you use this feature on the TL you can burn your DVD-A discs with the cirlinca software in 2 channel and have the Dolby Chipset simulate the surround.

The other option is to start with a 6 channel file/song. This is done on re-mastered DVD-A discs or master recordings, and your traditional DVD-Video discs that have concerts on them. If you strip the audio off the Video DVD you will have a 6 channel file to start with (Dolby Digital - Also known as AC3 format).

The problem you run into in the 04-06 Acura's (or any other year if you don't use Dolby DTS) is Audio CDs are only made for 2 channel audio sound. Certain stamped CDs may contain a matrix surround sound like Dobly Pro Logic, however these are few and far between. Furthermore, the music most of us download is almost always in stereo format. Therefore, one can infer you must use a software program to manipulate the 2 channel stereo file and create 6 separate channels.

One thing to remember; CD's in no way cary discrete 5.1 channels of sound. They are stereo sound unless the CD contains a Dolby matrix and even then the Dolby Chip does the proccessing. Therefore getting DVD-A from a CD will be much more difficult then getting DVD-A from video DVD which has its audio files stored in AC3 format. You must covert the 2 channel audio file to a 6 channel file in order to have the true feel of the "Acura ELS system"

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/BeSure.html

^^ a very good read if you have some time.

Moving on, in order to take those stereo files and minipulate them into 5.1 you must use a program like Besure. However, I want to note that Adobeman has previously created a 2.0 to 5.1 encoder. That can be found here.
While Adobemans program works, I personally do not like the sound outputted once re-encoded. Some feel may differently.

The cirlinca program IMO works very well. I have not had a single issue with any of the disks I have burned with it. I feel it was worth my $45. Most all of my DVD-A's I burn stay in 2 channel. I don't personally care for "simulated surround". I have my center speaker always turned "off" and my rear fill faded. - Rear fill dirtys/ discolors the sound and I always prefer my soundstage in front - and up high. The Acura TL has a very good setup from stock and the positioning of the tweeters are such that imaging is high and center. These tweeters seem to deliver decent off-axis response for a factory system. But our car can tweaked for a fantastic SQ soundstage.

Back to the question on hand though... Should you buy the program? Thats up to you. You are given a free trial license - so give it a test drive. Report back with your thoughts and reviews if you'd like....

I think thats enough for now.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Race Director

Whoa buddy settle down. Not everyone is an audio freak. I completely understand loss-less audio, and I completely understand how mp3s compare. That was in no way my question, so your long response was in no way an answer, just a pointless rant.

But why on gods green earth you say? For quantity. I would MUCH rather have 90 songs per dvd (x6 = 540 songs give or take?) then 90 "high quality" tracks. Sure it's nice to have a few surround sounds discs in there, but for everyday stuff, I'd rather have a broader range of music then a broader range of sound...

I'm sure I could start spitting some extreme audio slang here, and you would understand me. But I won't. Just next time don't talk down to people, k?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Nope not a chance! Let's say a singer or instrument hits a 16khz note at at 15.0003234023420343240 seconds into the song.
16 kHz sound will take 0.0000625 seconds for a single cycle, which no human can hear, so that long number makes no sense. Furthermore, most people over 30 y.o. are unable to hear 16 kHz at all.
It is impossible to hear compression in high bitrate mp3, especially when not doing a direct comparasing with the original wav.
Of course, XM or Sirius with their 40k bitrate is a whole different story.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

jnc2000,

Thanks for the terrrific overview. I really appreciate it. I'll give the free trial a "ride around the block" and see what happens. I have an '07 Type S, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again...
Steven
Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

jnc2000,

I have one more question. My main purpose for buying Cirlinca was to take existing CD's and convert them to a 5.1 mix, so they sound better in my Type S. I never download MP3 files. I've been a disc jockey in Kansas City for 32 years, so I get my music the old fashioned way...I buy CD's !! Hey, call me old school, but I'm trying to remain true to my industry. Besides, I hate the quished down sounds of an .MP3 file.

Anyway, my real BIG question is this-will Cirlinca do a better job of converting a 2 channel CD into 5.1 surround sound mix? Or am I better off just letting the ELS System in the TL do the job for me?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Well for one thing 99% of music is not available in DVD-A form, because the DVD-A format never really took off, so most music is in CD format which is pretty much the same quality as a good mp3. There are maybe a few thousand DVD-A albums in existance, while there are millions and millions of CD's, so I found only a handful of DVD-A discs on the planet that are actually the music that I listen to. The other 2-3 thousand mp3's in my collection which are the music I like the most came from a CD and have no possibility of being found in DVD-A format.

And also, if you own an '04-'06 TL like me and want to have a lot of files on one CD (not just a burned music CD with usually a max of 20 songs) you have to convert mp3's to a DVD-A disc so that you can listen to the disc in your TL, because there was no mp3 disc reader until the '07 models.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Race Director

^ He knows. He was just trying to be smart. I totally agree with you, rather have more songs then higher quality...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
jnc2000,

I have one more question. My main purpose for buying Cirlinca was to take existing CD's and convert them to a 5.1 mix, so they sound better in my Type S. I never download MP3 files. I've been a disc jockey in Kansas City for 32 years, so I get my music the old fashioned way...I buy CD's !! Hey, call me old school, but I'm trying to remain true to my industry. Besides, I hate the quished down sounds of an .MP3 file.

Anyway, my real BIG question is this-will Cirlinca do a better job of converting a 2 channel CD into 5.1 surround sound mix? Or am I better off just letting the ELS System in the TL do the job for me?

What I do will apply differently to you but this is how I'd approach the situation if I were you.

Sample CD's with Dolby DTS on. You will need to re-adjust your listening parameters. (center, bass, treble, sub, etc.) - One side note here our amp eq's alot of midbass in in the 100-250hz region. I have found turning the bass slightly down (-1, -2 will provide a better, flatter response.)

Next, compile that Audio CD into a DVD audio disc. Pull all the tracks of the CD and store them as .wav files. Burn this DVD-A disc without any enhancements (bit rate improvements, upsampling).

Listen.

Third, burn that same CD - use your same settings (DTS on, sub, bass etc...) and burn it, except this time re-encode it the tracks at 24/48 bits - and up the sampling rate.

Listen.

The point key is everybody has different listening preferences, and everyone perceives SQ as something different. To some burning 100 MP3's on a DVD-A may sound great - while others may question their effort because they prefer 24 bit 96/k sound. To each his own.

The bottom line is take advantage of the trial period and burn some really good DVD-A disks. If you you like what you hear - you'll most likely buy it. My ears can distinguish the faintest sounds. That may be in part because I am still young, or that I have always been a bit of an audiophile; but I can tell the difference between a song being played with a 1bit DAC, and a song with a 24bit DAC. Additionally, i can tell the difference between encoding bit rates just by sitting with and listening with my eyes closed. Most mainstream society can not - and most likely doesn't care to, thus the reason why everywhere you turn you seeing MP3 products. MP3's are all fine and good, they just aren't for me.

If you don't want to use the Dolby DTS - feel free to try an upsamping software program. - Something that will convert 2 channel to 6 separate channels - and play around with that. The bottom line here - I have yet to find a program I really like that does this really well. If it wasn't sourced from 6 channels - using software to pick it apart is going to perform so-so. This is why I recommend the DTS. Dolby has been doing this for years and with great success I might add.

Chillout: No offense here, but music off a stamped CD will NEVER be the same quality of even the highest bit rate encoded MP3. While that is your perception, and you are entitled to it please understand that once you stripped that data off that original track, it can never be restored. Once compressed - that data is lost. It may sound good to you - but I venture to say if you would to put that DVD-A disc made up of MP3's in any audiophiles car they could pick it apart.

In regards to having more songs then higher quality - again to each his own. But I'd much rather carry around a CD case of DVD-A, then have a CD case of MP3 discs and burned CDs. If you've ever listened to a CD for a period of time and you've gotten a headache - or listened to song after song and you're ears start ringing... its either due to your speakers, your eq-ing, or your listening material.

I have done enough experiments to know that from a zero-ed out location with the stock speakers in the TL listening to a DVD-A created from .flac/.wav files did not produce any noticeable fatigue. However, after about 30 minutes of listening to an MP3s converted to DVD-A my ears were starting to tire (fatigue).

You may be asking - what is listening fatigue?

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/5/3318

Above is a very in depth read of what is listening fatigue and how it is perceived to the human body. The bottom line is this and I will quote someone else because he said it best:

The masking within the human ear is related to the width of the auditory filters. Wider filter=more masking. It seems that the inner ear may be more selective (i.e. the auditory filters are narrower) than currently thought. The wider masking curves which have been measured in the past may be, in part, a function of higher neural processing. In other words, not all the "masking" occurs in the ear; some occurs in higher processing.
(The brain)
This may be relevant to audio coding: it has been generally assumed that masked audio components are lost in the inner ear - i.e. they are not available to the brain AT ALL. If, however, it turns out that some of them are sent to the brain, but that, in a masking experiment, the neural processing removes these components, then this raises the possibility that, in other scenarios (i.e. listening to more complex sounds - like real music), some of this information may be processed in a slightly different way. In short: it is wrong to assume that it is all redundant, because the brain might be making some use of it.
This is why you will find coded audio more fatiguing. While your ears are not physically hearing the sounds being reproduced by the speakers, your brain is anticipating a certain level of sound in that frequency range, based on the baseline established by the sound already being processed by your brain. So when that information is no longer present your brain is working harder - hence headache.

I'll end with that. If you can't tell by now I'm a bit of an audio guru
Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Race Director

^ Just a little. Thanks for all the info though.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
^ I totally agree with you, rather have more songs then higher quality...
That is EXACTLY why DVD Audio never made it when presented to the public. You want quantity over quality. The recording artist doesn't matter-just give me music...any music. Then I'll download your whole library onto one disc. That mentality is killing the music industry.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Race Director

^ That's a bunch of bull. It's not us wanting more music rather then higher quality that killed dvd-a, it's the cost of the media and players. Sweet, we have dvda in our cars, how many other cars do? k.

And hell yes I'll download music. And that mentality isn't killing the industry. If you look at sales NOW then before the "napster" trend happened, they are still stronger...Of course the public base buying is bigger too...

But look at say The Grateful Dead, their followers made copy after copy of their music and shared it all around. They made all their money off of concerts, not by raping consumers for 15 bucks for a 15 track cd...

The lost art of true touring and stage presence is what is killing the industry IHMO.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I think the OP got what he was looking for.

If you would like to continue your conversation, please do so via PM or in the Off Topic forum.

Thanks.