OMG, A & B pillar sound deadening-best bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
OMG, A & B pillar sound deadening-best bang for the buck

I got bored, found about 3 sq ft of raamat leftover from sometime around this time last year, and i've been thinking to get rid of the B pillar rattle (although occasional), so I stripped the pillar.

A pillar was already done last year and I noticed reduction in wind noise. but it was still there.

when i put some on the B pillar ( i didn't smother it like some audio people do.. too much material wasted to gain too little) and jelly'd up the seatbelt thingy.

and still had some leftover silver stickers so what the heck, i put them along the bottom of the door (the panels you have to take out to take out B pillar trim) and whoa it did make difference in road noise too!

i don't have pictures because,, i did'nt know they'd make such a difference.. i just wanted to put those in the car so i can throw out the box lol
unless you're really paranoid, i can say zero wind noise @ 70.

and for road noise, do the fender wells (front, take the wheel out and crawl. rear, strip the trunk), then do the door sill area, whoa .

question : I am not about to take the seats out and pull the carpet. can i just use multiple super thick floor mats to sorta achieve the same effect from the floor panels?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Just got thru doing some deadning myself. Trunk, doors, and floors.

Seats are easy, four bolts, a few plug attachments, and pulled lower back and they are out! Just lift the carpet to the side to put a sound barrier under them. Made a huge difference in road noise.

If I have any MLV/CLD tiles leftover, I will do the B-pillars too. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Viper, was just going to start on sound deadening my TL I just bought. I was wondering what exact type of materials you used on each part. I'm assuming the raamat is the butyl vibration dampener? Also whats this business about jelly on the seatbelt thing?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
Just got thru doing some deadning myself. Trunk, doors, and floors.

Seats are easy, four bolts, a few plug attachments, and pulled lower back and they are out! Just lift the carpet to the side to put a sound barrier under them. Made a huge difference in road noise.

If I have any MLV/CLD tiles leftover, I will do the B-pillars too. Thanks for the info.
didn't you have to disconnect battery to prevent airbag from deploying?? the front seats

do the A&B pillars for near-kill in wind noise!!! good luck with the project. go make those lexus guys jealous

Originally Posted by Nantlas
Hey Viper, was just going to start on sound deadening my TL I just bought. I was wondering what exact type of materials you used on each part. I'm assuming the raamat is the butyl vibration dampener? Also whats this business about jelly on the seatbelt thing?
if you go here
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/

you can find this about the jelly in B pillar, which is this
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/i-finally-got-rid-b-pillar-rattle-3g-garage-f041-589821/

I wasn't gonna even bother touching any more interior panel given there's so much horror stories about interior rattle, but i had occasional plasticky rattle so I did that while i was in the B pillar, i used white lithium grease cuz I didn't have vaseline.

and i used 2 of these(75 sq ft) all around the car, floor, spare tire well, fenders and doors
http://www.raamaudio.com/products/RAAMmat-BXT-II.html
because all others gave me frigging cuts in all my fingers but this one didn't
honestly, "ours is thicker" marketing, i call BS cuz all you really need is some mass to change the Hz the metal vibrates to transmit noise or reduce amplitude

and covered the white flimsy thing in the whole door, with this
http://www.raamaudio.com/products/En...and-Stick.html

i'm not a sound deadening expert lol i'm like "let's stick this here. it's gotta be better than nothing"

Last edited by 4drviper; 10-15-2012 at 05:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nantlas (10-15-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drviper
didn't you have to disconnect battery to prevent airbag from deploying?? the front seats

I didnt disconnect the battery. Didnt think about it really. But I didnt start the car any with the drivers seat out. I drove around with all the other seats out though.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
How did you get around the airbags on the A-pillar?

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 10-16-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
How did you get around the airbags on the A-pillar?
i just slipped a huge piece of raamat behind it and took a LOT of time pressing it down onto a pillar with a butter knife and a key lol