Oem sub removal or amplified?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oem sub removal or amplified?

Is it possible to make the shitty sub that comes with the car sound any better by amplifying it, or adding a capacitor?

Has anyone replaced it with a 8inch aftermarket sub?

all I know, is for a car with this price caliber, the sound system is shit, theirs a better system in my dads hyundai tucson!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
allergic to wintertime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert but I wrestled with this question for a couple of years before finally deciding there was just probably no way that a sub in that location would sound good unless you built some type of enclosure around it. At least one person here has done that. Finally, about two weeks ago, I just broke down and gave up the back left corner of my trunk for one 10" sub in a custom built box and small amplifier, bypassing the stock sub altogether. I will say the result far exceeded my expectations. I am loving the sound, and I can still use virtually my entire trunk and can access my spare tire and passthrough, no problem.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

good point..
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Search the 999,999 other threads on this exact topic.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

or you could provide a link because I have searched long and hard
Old 09-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
Not to be an asshole, but how "long" and "hard" did you search??

I found these too in 9 seconds by searcing....

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/can-i-replace-factory-sub-aftermarket-569775/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ce+factory+sub
Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont know how to use the seach option it just brings up EVERYTHING...not even the same topic...

I need a link where to buy a sub to run off the oem amp that will fit with no cutting of anything. It needs to provide the best bass and cost eifficent...any ideas?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont know how to use the seach option it just brings up EVERYTHING...not even the same topic...

I need a link where to buy a sub to run off the oem amp that will fit with no cutting of anything. It needs to provide the best bass and cost eifficent...any ideas?
Not to be an A-hole but

Stick with the stock sub. Everthing else will not work with the stock amp or fit the stock location. My
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Cracking toast, Gromit!

Here's some love for you - the subs that will fit in the stock opening are few in number, they are free-air and apparently don't perform worth a sh*t.

You'll have to access it from the top - no way around it.

Removing the rear deck is an epic task, fraught with peril. After running that gauntlet - there's no way you'll be pleased with a drop-in, free-air sub. (Way too poetic I know, but successfully completing that task is a right of passage).

However, there is another way... leave the stock sub alone, but unplug it. The connector is clipped to the center, underside of the deck, and you can access it by removing the upper trunk liner and reaching into a cut-out. [removing the trunk liner is also a beotch, but not on the scale of the interior rear deck. Think of it as a mini-epic.]

Use that hi-line into your (new) sub amp that takes speaker level inputs, and you're good.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I already have subs and a amp...so all I need to do is find this cord and plug it in?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Dave,

I'm not sure what problems you could be having searching on this. I went to the advanced search, searched on "stock sub" in the sub-forum "Third Generation TL (2004-2008) > Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation", and the first page of results alone offered up about 10 posts asking the same question that you did. There are tons of posts here that cover this topic.

Even on the current first pages of posts, there is a post titled "Can i replace Factory Sub with After Market"
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Cracking toast, Gromit!

This is how my '08 is wired - individual results may vary. The stock sub wiring runs in the hollow metal area under the rear deck, above the upper trunk liner. Let's call this sheet metal structure the "box". You can visualize where this box is located where the upper trunk liner has a step in its profile nearer the seat-back.

The upper trunk liner is held in place by 4 pin-clips near the outmost edge, and the left and right sides are held up by the side trunk liners. Remove these 4 clips, persuade the upper liner out from the supporting side liners; the upper liner will pivot down, exposing the box. The upper liner is still clipped behind the seat back so you actually can't remove it with this method. The upper liner is flexible enough to bend it out without removing the side liners.

In the center-most access hole in the underside of the box, you can see/feel the stock sub wiring in a foam-wrapped loom; reach in there find the connector by feel and unplug the sub. This connector is clipped down to the bottom of the box; mine was light blue to help you locate it. There are no other quick-connects in the box that I saw.

If your sub has high level inputs, just make your splice there and you're good.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

what i did...
ran 4g wire from batt to trunk(bought a 4g wiring kit...mounted fuse under plastic cover in hood) on my rear 8" sub i went in from the trunk and found the wire connecting it n clipped it as close as possible to the terminal. i stripped the wires n connected an rca cable. ran that to my amp n voila! boom boom. can still control the sub from the head unit too. just make sure to get a signal sensing amp.