No Dashboard Lights...Relay's, Fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
No Dashboard Lights...Relay's, Fuses?

Is there some sort of relay or fuse in the drivers foot well or anywhere else in the whole vehicle besides under the hood to explain why ALL of my dashboard lights with the exception of the 6 Disc CD changer area have all gone out at once?

Seriously, no lights for the A/C, the fan speed, the fan mode, the steering wheel lights (all of them)...everything is just blacked out. I don't know if the shifter (5AT) is supposed to have illumination at night but that is out too if so. The lights do work for the door locks and windows as well as the seating memory switches.

My dealer went under the hood to the "Control Unit Engine Room 2" and checked the relays (fog lights as they too have crapped out and I guess interior illumination--it has a picture that looks like a bowl on a ceiling with light rays coming out of it on the fuse box cover), looked at all the fuses in the under the hood and in the kick panel and everything checks fine. After checking the relays and fuses they ordered and installed a new combination switch stock/blinker/fog lights and still no dice. They want to do a full rip apart of the dashboard and get into the wiring harness and I was like, man, I can't afford a thousand plus dollars for some stupid lights when it's a $5 piece and all of the money would be put into labor for troubleshooting.

I am wondering if there are relays or fuses actually BEHIND the fuse box that we normally see when we take the fuse panel cover off. The part number for the relays under the hood are 39794-SDA-A03 and I can't remember the fuse (either 7.5A or 15A). In other words, I'm wondering that if I remove the fuse block if there are more relays behind there I am unaware of.

I bought two new relays and and will trouble shoot for the FOURTH weekend in a row this Friday. I'm usually pretty good with electronics so this irks me considerably.

Any help would be very, very extremely appreciated. I do a lot of night time driving and this is a huge inconvenience. I can understand one or two lights going out, but not the whole dashboard at once. Clearly there is a short, a fuse, or a relay that has crapped out somewhere. I just don't know where....and I've also never heard of this happening to anyone before which doesn't help my cause.

Thanks in advance,
MI6
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 PM
2004 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's been seven years since the original post, but I have an answer. The same thing just happened to me -- I was changing out my turn signals and back-up lights for LED bulbs, and everything looked great. As soon as I drove away, I realized the whole dashboard was dark --- AND --- the transmission wouldn't shift up from 2nd or 3rd gear. So I had to go about troubleshooting and found fuse # 21 (7.5 A) burnt out. After replacing it and starting the car up again I realized that the dash was going dark as soon as I put the car in reverse. So I took out one of the bulbs and... presto! -- problem gone. So it was a new bright white LED that was shorting out. It turned out to be defective and I had to return it. But that little thing was blowing the fuse and causing all that havoc. So.....fuse # 21 is the one that controls all the dash lighting (and of course, the manual says nothing about that). Hope this helps someone!
Old 01-01-2023, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greengecko
Well, it's been seven years since the original post, but I have an answer. The same thing just happened to me -- I was changing out my turn signals and back-up lights for LED bulbs, and everything looked great. As soon as I drove away, I realized the whole dashboard was dark --- AND --- the transmission wouldn't shift up from 2nd or 3rd gear. So I had to go about troubleshooting and found fuse # 21 (7.5 A) burnt out. After replacing it and starting the car up again I realized that the dash was going dark as soon as I put the car in reverse. So I took out one of the bulbs and... presto! -- problem gone. So it was a new bright white LED that was shorting out. It turned out to be defective and I had to return it. But that little thing was blowing the fuse and causing all that havoc. So.....fuse # 21 is the one that controls all the dash lighting (and of course, the manual says nothing about that). Hope this helps someone!
Well, its been three years since this post and one weekend of stealing Wifey's CR-V. After swapping a NAV unit for my original hoping it would solve my dead climate control lights (it didn't) and upgrading my instrument cluster to a 2007 Type-S (the one red thing I now own and like) my power windows, windshield wipers, sunroof, turn signals all went tits up. Thanks to this post, I found this burnt out fuse and can start 2023 as a Happy New Year!

Thx Greengecko!
The following users liked this post:
frustration2023 (03-06-2023)