Newbie with Nav question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:24 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with Nav question.

Hi, this is my first post on this site, i just bought my first TL this week and I am trying to understand a few things about the car. First off related to navigation:

I have read extensively about the great efforts others have done to convert from non-nav to nav cars. The question: Just how much of the nav display is driven by the dvd rom and how? Does the dvd rom load an image into memory that contains menus for radio/xm/nav controls and then only accesses the DVD for nav map information after that point or does the screen posess some basic functionality and only needs the DVD drive access for map info?'

Just curious and I couldn't find this info in a search....thanks in advance..

MB
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting question, here is my guess:

I would think that an image containing the functionality is loaded and stored into memory and the DVD-ROM is only accessed for mapping information. This would explain why our hacks (splash screen, trip computer, no nag, etc) work. With these hacks, we modify the loading images, force the system to load them into memory, and then replace the oem navi disk back into the drive. The hacks remain to work until the system reloads the loader files.

Have you seen this thread: Secrets of the Navi software? Its an old thread, but might be worth the read.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
Interesting question, here is my guess:

I would think that an image containing the functionality is loaded and stored into memory and the DVD-ROM is only accessed for mapping information. This would explain why our hacks (splash screen, trip computer, no nag, etc) work. With these hacks, we modify the loading images, force the system to load them into memory, and then replace the oem navi disk back into the drive. The hacks remain to work until the system reloads the loader files.

Have you seen this thread: Secrets of the Navi software? Its an old thread, but might be worth the read.
yes, that makes sense. thanks for the response. I really like my TL so far...i enjoy the quiet ride after 6 years of roadsters in a row. I will check out that thread.

MB
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you planning a new mod/hack we haven't seen?