New $35 DvD-A authoring program!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:00 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman606
Ok, not sure I'm getting this with DVD-Audio Extractor - but am I suppose to let it create a single WAV file for each chapter? I tried letting it create separate channels for each WAV file and DVD-Audio Solo created a bad disc - I had 6 wav files separate for each channel, but when I tried playing the disk it only played a single channel (i.e., first 6 tracks of the DVD where just portions of song 1. I could definitely use some help here gang. Thanks.
If you create 6 separate wavs then you need to be VERY SPECIFIC in the naming of the files. See the help with Solo and read it very carefully. Solo does work with 6 individual files per track. I have proved that to myself. It is a royal PITA though. Involves special naming and then only adding one file to Solo's list. You then have to increment the number of channels (in Solo's right hand side) to tell it to look for the other 5 files. Effective but a hassle.

OR (better/easier)

Create one 6-channel wav file for each track and you will have better success with Solo. DVD-Audio Extractor will do this It is a check box on one of the steps you go through to create the wav files.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adobeman,

I think I tried the "Create one 6-channel wav file for each track" and I got single .wav file for each track but then when I burned it to DVD and played it in the TL, the sound was good but not 6 separate channels. I think it was downmixing the 6 channels to 2-channel. That DVD is now labelled as "coaster".

In order to get it to work right, I had to click on the option that says to make separate .wav files for each channel, rename them to _C, _FR, _FL, etc., then burn them onto DVD.

I've done this several times and it works great. The only pain is that you have to do the renames of all those files (I did it with a tcl script on Linux); someone earlier showed how you can write a Windows .bat file and rename it (syntax is something like "copy ???????_(ch1).wav ????????_FR.wav").

Perhaps I did something wrong -- I would love to be able to just do one 6 channel .wav file per song and burn and have it all work correctly. If you know for sure this will work, I'll try again. I'm just hesitant to make another mistake because it takes a long time (e.g., one DVD-V took 3.5 hours) to RIP (with normalization on) and I don't need another coaster.

Also, I selected the normalization option for 100% and this helped a lot with volume.

Oh and bigman606, I made the same mistake you did (i.e., 1 .wav file on the DVD per channel) then I had to reread the doc. Maybe they should fix that doc.

Dennis
Old 11-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Ahh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I got a downmixed version of the DVD tracks. So I'm redoing things after reading those instructions carefully!
Originally Posted by Dennis in NH
Adobeman,

I think I tried the "Create one 6-channel wav file for each track" and I got single .wav file for each track but then when I burned it to DVD and played it in the TL, the sound was good but not 6 separate channels. I think it was downmixing the 6 channels to 2-channel. That DVD is now labelled as "coaster".

In order to get it to work right, I had to click on the option that says to make separate .wav files for each channel, rename them to _C, _FR, _FL, etc., then burn them onto DVD.

I've done this several times and it works great. The only pain is that you have to do the renames of all those files (I did it with a tcl script on Linux); someone earlier showed how you can write a Windows .bat file and rename it (syntax is something like "copy ???????_(ch1).wav ????????_FR.wav").

Perhaps I did something wrong -- I would love to be able to just do one 6 channel .wav file per song and burn and have it all work correctly. If you know for sure this will work, I'll try again. I'm just hesitant to make another mistake because it takes a long time (e.g., one DVD-V took 3.5 hours) to RIP (with normalization on) and I don't need another coaster.

Also, I selected the normalization option for 100% and this helped a lot with volume.

Oh and bigman606, I made the same mistake you did (i.e., 1 .wav file on the DVD per channel) then I had to reread the doc. Maybe they should fix that doc.

Dennis
Adobeman - but is that one 6 channel WAV file truly a discrete channel file? It sounded more like a downmix like Dennis said. I'll compare the two once I'm done with my re-ripping.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, it is 6 descreet channels when doing the one 5.1 wave file. The way to confirm this, is to add up all the separate wave files , and it will equal the size of the single 6 channel file. I've not had any problems using it this way. A couple of things to check.....make sure that the DVD includes a 5.1 audio track. and make sure it's selected before you select the tracks to extract. Also, when you choose to select the one 6 channel wave, also check to make sure you've chosen to use all 6 channels from the input. There is an area where you can just use 2 channels of the 6. Once all choices are made correctly, you will have a much easier way to create your DVD-A discs, and no more coasters.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Rick, I think that was the key thing I was missing - Not setting the input to greater than 2 channels. For me a single 5.1 WAV is much easier than the multiple tracks (I typically rip the DTS track to make my DVD-Audio discs) and having to rename them. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Let me know how it goes!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
weird its not working for me, im trying to copy over the dvd-video side of a dual disc, and its the jessica simpson disc and its recognizing it as matchbox20, and wont even open the video/audio.ts folders....anyhow help....i am using that 35.00 program trial version

good thing i dindt buy it
Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Instructor

I have successfully created a DVD-A from a DVD-V (DTS 48 kHz 5Ch) using DVD Audio Extractor and DVD-Audio Solo, but was only able to fit 18 of the 20 songs on the disk.

The files created by DVD Audio Extractor, WAV PCM uncompressed, are huge, considering that the video portion is being dropped. I created other output formats, and they are smaller, but Solo only seems to work with .wav files.

Here are the file sizes for a single track:
- Ogg/Vorbis (.ogg), 16,998 KB
- WAV PCM uncompressed - 245,440 KB
- Direct Stream Demux (.dts) - 53,610 KB
- CD Image (.wav) - 50,111 KB

Does the Direct Stream Demux 6 channel sound, and any suggestions on what can I use to create an ISO image? I assume the CD Image would only produce 2 channel sound.

I have spent countless hours researching and playing with other tools like dvd decrypter, vobrator, and besweet, but have not found that magic combination of programs and settings. Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Bplayer,
If you tried to copy that DVD-V disc onto DVD-R, it probably wouldn't fit. DVD-R and +R's only hold 4.7 gig, where as the DVD-V that your concert is on is probably 9 gig. Which is why many have successfully used DVDDL+R which is 9 gig. Having said that, DVD-A is a lossless high definition media, that contains a ton of information compared to CD something like 7 to 10 times, so they willl take up a lot more space for this type of recording method.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Well, I didn't notice any real difference between using the single 5.1 WAV file extracted with DVD Extractor vs. single channel WAV files (one for each channel and then renamed appropriately). So for now, I'll stick with the single 5.1 WAV file. Glad to be able to do this - plenty of great 5.1 music to enjoy that's not on a separate DTS disc or no chance of coming to DVD-Audio by the manufacturers. Sad that such a great audio format didn't get the support it deserved. Hopefully Cirlinca will continue to improve their program.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Glad to hear single 5.1 .wav file worked

Well, I didn't notice any real difference between using the single 5.1 WAV file extracted with DVD Extractor vs. single channel WAV files (one for each channel and then renamed appropriately). So for now, I'll stick with the single 5.1 WAV file. Glad to be able to do this - plenty of great 5.1 music to enjoy that's not on a separate DTS disc or no chance of coming to DVD-Audio by the manufacturers. Sad that such a great audio format didn't get the support it deserved. Hopefully Cirlinca will continue to improve their program.

I'll give that a shot on my next DVD-A. BTW, I found this DL DVD burner for about
$38 (free shipping). I'm thinking of buying it.

http://tinyurl.com/an4co
Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Dennis: Good price. I know that Cirlinca had success with Pioneer drives using DL, so if you get this drive and have success, let them know.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rickneuropa
If you tried to copy that DVD-V disc onto DVD-R, it probably wouldn't fit. DVD-R and +R's only hold 4.7 gig, where as the DVD-V that your concert is on is probably 9 gig. Which is why many have successfully used DVDDL+R which is 9 gig.
Windows Explorer reports:
- the DVD-V for Eagles Farewell Tour 1 is 5.96 GB
- the extracted .wav's is 4.71 GB
- the DVD-V for Dido Live is 5.31 GB
- the extracted .wav's is 4.35 GB

Average recorded capacity from a few various burns to DVD-A is 3.9 GB. What surprises me is the audio portion is about 80%, and the video only 20%. Is this reasonable?

My other questions are still unanswered. Do any of the other formats exported by DVD AE contain 5.1 audio, and what programs can use these files to create a good multichannel DVD-A?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bplayer

Average recorded capacity from a few various burns to DVD-A is 3.9 GB. What surprises me is the audio portion is about 80%, and the video only 20%. Is this reasonable?

My other questions are still unanswered. Do any of the other formats exported by DVD AE contain 5.1 audio, and what programs can use these files to create a good multichannel DVD-A?
Check out discWelder by Minnetonka Audio
Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisU
Check out discWelder by Minnetonka Audio
At $495, I don't think so.

Additional research. I used DVD Shrink to extract from the DVD and then Nero to burn the DVD-R. There was no space issue and the playback was fine and produced the expected DTS audio stream, like the original.

I have found a few programs that will produce .dts files that are about 10% the size of .wav files from DVD AE, but what to do with them.

So back to the basic probem of getting all the audio extracted and output on a DVD-R.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Cirlanca and DL dvd's

Dennis: Good price. I know that Cirlinca had success with Pioneer drives using DL, so if you get this drive and have success, let them know.
They just fixed it in release 1.02b. Make sure you use this release or wyou will get a coaster. Somehow their bruning engine wasnt writing tracks correctly on DL dvd's.

DONT try until you have the update
Old 11-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Advanced

uh hello..........

Youre extracting a wave file from a compressed AC3 file. THATS why the wav's are so big. Youre uncompressing it...

Extract it as an ac3 and it will be about 200mb's per disc.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schrady
Youre extracting a wave file from a compressed AC3 file. THATS why the wav's are so big. Youre uncompressing it...

Extract it as an ac3 and it will be about 200mb's per disc.
I can do that, but what do I use to get the .ac3 file on a DVD-A?

Incidentally I downloaded one of your files, Linkink Park - Faint. Windows Explorer reports that it is 2 channel stereo (Properties, Summary). I burned it to a CD and it sounds good, but it is not 5 channel. The same CD also had some mp3's and other .wav files that Explorer also reported as 2 channel. When the CD is initially played in the TL it displays CD, but when it gets to your file the indicator changes to DTS, and stays on for the rest of the CD and even going back to previous not DTS tracks. Strange or what!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Advanced

my server....DTS and multichnnel files

I can do that, but what do I use to get the .ac3 file on a DVD-A?

Incidentally I downloaded one of your files, Linkink Park - Faint. Windows Explorer reports that it is 2 channel stereo (Properties, Summary). I burned it to a CD and it sounds good, but it is not 5 channel. The same CD also had some mp3's and other .wav files that Explorer also reported as 2 channel. When the CD is initially played in the TL it displays CD, but when it gets to your file the indicator changes to DTS, and stays on for the rest of the CD and even going back to previous not DTS tracks. Strange or what!

DTS wave files are reported in properties as 2 channel, but if you try and play it, youll here white noise in windiws media player. Thats how you can dtermine origin.

The true 6 channel pcm files are in the folder labeled multichannle waves. Those are what you need Cirlincas program to burn.

The DTS files are just great sounding dts files you can burn on a regular cd

As for the ac3 file, I was just explaining why your wave was so big, not what you should do with it.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Advanced

DTS wave files are reported in properties as 2 channel, but if you try and play it, youll here white noise in windiws media player. Thats how you can dtermine origin.

The true 6 channel pcm files are in the folder labeled multichannle waves. Those are what you need Cirlincas program to burn.

The DTS files are just great sounding dts files you can burn on a regular cd

As for the ac3 file, I was just explaining why your wave was so big, not what you should do with it.
By the way. DTS files ARE two channel, until they hit your decoder. Your DTS decoder redirects to 6 channels.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:26 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
By the way. DTS files ARE two channel, until they hit your decoder. Your DTS decoder redirects to 6 channels.
To build on schrady's good point...and digressing a bit to make the point

Think of modern DVD-V (and -A to a degree) content as more like "software" than actual music or pictures. If you look at a DVD-V is is usually a complex arraignment of various forms of MPEG2 video and a "who knows what" of audio content. Some have DD5.1, some DTS and some just plain PCM. Then add in all the chaptering information and you don't have anything on the disk that really "looks" like a movie or music. In fact, it is more like a file/directory structure. Did your CD player ever "crash"? probably not. But lots of early DVD players (around 1997/8) could be predictably crashed by some early DVDs. Most of that has been worked out by now but it was all related to DVD instructions that were either wrong on the disk or poorly implemented in the player.

DVD-A doesn't seem as complicated at first, but consider that many DVD-As also include alternate files for use by DVD-V players and you might even have a more complicated mix.

DTS is just a bit stream of information that a DTS decoder "knows" what to do with. So channels, tracks, lanes, streams....call them what you will but they are bits/bytes that conform to a standard and not much more. What they end up as is just plain wonderful. I love it anytime a movie has a DTS option over DD5.1. For straight audio it seems that MLP on DVD-A will be the way to go. DTS is "lossy" and does have click problems in our cars.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Instructor

schrady & Adobeman: thanks for the clarification. I am learning more about this minefield every day. The conversion processes seem to either be a black art or an exclusive club, e.g. use program xyz to do the extract and convert but you install it and find you need some .dll or filter, or get a message about format not supported.

I am at the point where I am either going to give it up completely or rag it to death until I find the right answers. Programs tried so far Dvddecrypter, Dvdshrink, BSweet, Audiograbber, AC3Tool, Vobrator, Ace DVD Audio Extractor, DVD Audio Extractor, dvd-audio solo, and a bunch of others. The last two seem to be the main keepers, except that DVD Audio Extractor produces these huge files. I am still trying to find out why, and find an alternative.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
FOr help and questions about DVD-A and creating DVD-A, check out the DVD-Audio workshop at QuadraphonicQuad. There are folks there who create DVD-A's for commercial use, and are quite helpful.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...splay.php?f=41