The never ending dynamat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The never ending dynamat...

I started by dynamatting the driver's door and rear deck in search of better sound quality. Added foam over the dynamat inside of the door and laid it on pretty thick on the rear deck and the back side of the cover. The improvement in sound quality was awesome. What sounded like the subs distorting at high volume was actually the deck vibrating. Quality was greatly improved. My infinities have better clarity and some of the mid bass they were lacking is now there.

Here's my problem. Now that I did the driver's door, the rest of the car sounds too noisy. So I did the passenger door and driver's side floor board. Going down the freeway I had to check a couple of times to make sure the rear windows weren't cracked open a bit. The front of the car is insanely quiet but it actually sounds worse because I notice the wind and road noise in the rear much more. I now have a rattle by the driver's side vent that I didn't notice before and shifter console rattle. It's driving me crazy. I'm out of dynamat and I wish I had never started this project with the exception of the rear deck. Going to spend another $150 today on another order.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
LOL.

There's a TSB and fix on the driver side vent rattle.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
most of the rear noise comes from the rear wheel wells, Get those and apply some dynamat around the trunk area if you have some left. As for the vent rattle, theres a TSB for that, for the shifter rattle, put some foam underneath that shifter trim ring (silver one that prys up easily)
Old 10-06-2007, 10:47 AM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe thats why I put three boxes in my car.. I didnt notice a big change after dynamatting under the carpet.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear you!

Check out Brown Bread online, I think it cost a lot less compared to Dynamat. Some people even use a house building material named Ice Guard and it is a lot cheaper than most of the sound proofing materials advertised for car stereo.

It is why I have not started my stereo system project on my TL yet, becuase I planned to Brown Bread the whole car, just like the truck I owned. I am just too lazy to start it!! BUT IT IS COMPLETELY WORTH IT.

I did a complete crack down of rattling and noise on the truck. The improvement on the sound quality was night & day! Most people don't do the sound proof part when they install a sound system because of the cost, time & effort needed. I did not realize that the sound system could sound soooooooo different until I made the effort to sound proof the truck.

It is why I planned to do it again on the TL when I have the momentum to work on the stereo system on the TL. I can't wait to hear how the u-dimension amp will sound in the TL!

I Hate Cars, Do you still have the stock setup? I planned to brown bread the interior first to see how much improvement it will make on the stock system.

But the ultimate plan is to do the sound proofing and system installation all at once to avoid what had happened to you.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by mamamilk008
Check out Brown Bread online, I think it cost a lot less compared to Dynamat. Some people even use a house building material named Ice Guard and it is a lot cheaper than most of the sound proofing materials advertised for car stereo.

It is why I have not started my stereo system project on my TL yet, becuase I planned to Brown Bread the whole car, just like the truck I owned. I am just too lazy to start it!! BUT IT IS COMPLETELY WORTH IT.

I did a complete crack down of rattling and noise on the truck. The improvement on the sound quality was night & day! Most people don't do the sound proof part when they install a sound system because of the cost, time & effort needed. I did not realize that the sound system could sound soooooooo different until I made the effort to sound proof the truck.

It is why I planned to do it again on the TL when I have the momentum to work on the stereo system on the TL. I can't wait to hear how the u-dimension amp will sound in the TL!

I Hate Cars, Do you still have the stock setup? I planned to brown bread the interior first to see how much improvement it will make on the stock system.

But the ultimate plan is to do the sound proofing and system installation all at once to avoid what had happened to you.
I have two 12W6s in the trunk, Infinity Kappas in the doors and Reference 2-ohm in the dash and center. The Infinities took some "tuning" but they sound very good now. Compared it to my friend who is using Rainbows in his Lexus and I would swear the Infinities sound better now. I ended up taping over 2/3 of the tweeter on the door speakers and it sounds so much better now. No more bleeding ears lol.

I borrowed some Dynamat Extreme from a friend until my new order gets here. Did both rear wheelwells and put a strip under the seat. It really helped with the noise. I can barely hear the outside world when I'm sitting at a light. Regular road noise is almost completely gone. Before, there were sections of street that made different noises and now it's just silence. The tires are another story. I absolutely hate them. Dynamat has had no effect and I let the girlfriend drive my car for weeks at a time because the tires have made it miserable to drive.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post a picture that shows where you put the Dynamat to quiet the noises from the rear of the car?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I have two 12W6s in the trunk, Infinity Kappas in the doors and Reference 2-ohm in the dash and center. The Infinities took some "tuning" but they sound very good now. Compared it to my friend who is using Rainbows in his Lexus and I would swear the Infinities sound better now. I ended up taping over 2/3 of the tweeter on the door speakers and it sounds so much better now. No more bleeding ears lol.

I borrowed some Dynamat Extreme from a friend until my new order gets here. Did both rear wheelwells and put a strip under the seat. It really helped with the noise. I can barely hear the outside world when I'm sitting at a light. Regular road noise is almost completely gone. Before, there were sections of street that made different noises and now it's just silence. The tires are another story. I absolutely hate them. Dynamat has had no effect and I let the girlfriend drive my car for weeks at a time because the tires have made it miserable to drive.
It is nice to hear the improvement it makes after the Dynamat treatment. I'm glad that you got yours done! Now it's the matter of when I want to start working on mines!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
05 TL

scv... My goal was to put it every where I could.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...05&postcount=9
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Unshunned

I'm not sure what the prices are of dynamat compared to the stuff on this site, but here's another option for sound control

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ectGroup_ID=37

it's a top notch website. I use them for supplies for building home theater speakers/subwoofers/etc - (so do most DIY'ers on AVS forum)
Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Good info.

Originally Posted by berzerker
I'm not sure what the prices are of dynamat compared to the stuff on this site, but here's another option for sound control

it's a top notch website. I use them for supplies for building home theater speakers/subwoofers/etc - (so do most DIY'ers on AVS forum)

Berzerker, it is nice to know of this site. I have not done any price comparison yet as I am no where close starting the project, though I have all the stereo equipments needed. Too Lazy! However, it seems like the site offers some good deals. I looked at the price on 32"x54" dampening sheet.

Thanks for the info Berz!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 PM
05 TL

Originally Posted by berzerker

404 File not found....
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by Kracker
404 File not found....
yeah, I just noticed that too.

just use http://www.partsexpress.com and go to car audio>>sound dampening