Need Some Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Need Some Help!

A fellow AZine member and myself installed a system in my TL about a month and a half ago. Nothing big, one 12 and 300W amp. Everything was fine until last week when the fuse under the hood blew. Bumped up the fuse to a 30 (it was a 20) and everything was all good until the next day when it blew again.

We went to look to see what the problem was but are having a hard time pin-pointing it. We are figuring it is something to do with the LOC. The power is fine going into the LOC but it is not coming out. We've switched out LOC's twice but the problem occurs in both of them.

Anybody got any ideas on what to check out to see if we can fix this problem?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea what volume you were at when it blew? what are the ohms on the amp/sub?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolution22
Any idea what volume you were at when it blew? what are the ohms on the amp/sub?
This was my old setup. The 12 is a SVC 4ohm sub. The amp runs at both 2/4ohms. We had the setup bridged and worked fine for the 1.5 months. We think the inline fuse on the power wire popped because of the additional accessories that were on and the gains were later turned up.

While troubleshooting we were getting +6.8V from both channels of the factory sub. The stock sub is currently disconnected and we tapped these lines for the LOC. We then used and multimeter and the Input side of the LOC was reading the +6.8V and the Output side (RCAs) was nothing.

The amp powers up fine. We rechecked the Power, Ground, and remote wires on the amp. We replaced the LOC and it still didn't work. Maybe the RCA cables from the LOC to the amp???

I know we have some stereo guru's here on Azine. Help...anyone?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The fuse was bumped up 10 amps and it blew as well? Which fuse? The amp inline fuse? A 10 amp change is a lot, a whole lot when it comes to electronics.

I am suprised the amp still works after the 10 amp change. The amp never reset? It should have gotten very hot or is getting really hot. Did you match impedances?

Did you check your power cable wiring to make sure you have no rubbing problems?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The fuse was bumped up 10 amps and it blew as well? Which fuse? The amp inline fuse? A 10 amp change is a lot, a whole lot when it comes to electronics.

I am suprised the amp still works after the 10 amp change. The amp never reset? It should have gotten very hot or is getting really hot. Did you match impedances?

Did you check your power cable wiring to make sure you have no rubbing problems?
Yes the inline power wire fuse was bumped up 10amps. The current 30 amp did not blow. The amp has 2 fuses and both are good. We never changed the fuses in the amp, only the inline power wire. We even took his amp and connected it in my TL to my sub and it worked perfectly.

Amp is warm but not hot. And both the amp 2ohm/4ohm stable and 4ohm svc sub are compatible.

We rechecked the amp ground wire and the ground wire on the LOC. If the power wire was rubbing on metal it should pop the inline fuse, but it works with no issues.

I'm thinking maybe we need to tap another rear speaker and run and just run the LPF on the amp. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!