Need help from someone who understands the navigation unit from ignition startup!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help from someone who understands the navigation unit from ignition startup!

So my navigation has gone bad with the dreaded "Please check your disc" error. Awhile ago when I was still able to get into the diagnostics for the navi it had a couple red areas specifically FI ECU METER, F CAN RAM, B CAN FAIL. I was pretty sure I needed a new dvd drive. Decided it was too expensive to send to Alpine and figured I would use my phone instead.

Recently I decided to tackle it again and found a "bench tested" drive on ebay and after installing it it does more than my old unit which is it tries to download the software then I get the check disc error. What I found is that the drive doesn't do anything after the disc is inserted. So I'm wondering if there is something in the head unit that sends a signal to run? My head unit has some issues too. The dvd changer no longer works and the navi screen when it was working had a dead area down the left side of the screen that didnt respond to touch.

So now that I got a little bit of the history out of the way, my question is, does the dvd drive just start spinning on it's own or does it get told to start from the head unit? No motors whirring, no fan in the back, no nothing. Is it a bad unit and I got scammed on ebay? I'm not looking for perfect working order but just to atleast see the cool map on the screen lol. Any help is appreciated.

FYI I've cleaned the laser lens thoroughly and did get some crud off it and my cd's are not scratched.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:19 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Really interesting! And definitely sounds like this hard drive decided to mess with the wrong guy (who might actually be enjoying this)!
Old 04-19-2024, 01:41 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Oops, ignore that, I somehow replied on the wrong page.