Need help, Navigation system rebooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 516 Likes on 292 Posts
Need help, Navigation system rebooting

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted.
This week, my wife started having issues with the TL, the navigation system randomly reboots. I read around and it's not the issues I see described on forums or youtube videos. In my case, I get to the "OK" button, press it, the navigation works as expected, then a few minutes later the device boots up again. The music continues playing, so it isn't a full head unit power cycle. From what I read around, the issue seems to be the navi unit in the trunk. I would prefer that over having to replace the whole head unit.

I would welcome your advice and feedback on the issue, thanks in advance.
-Phil
Old 05-16-2018, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Electrical gremlins can be a nightmare to diagnose, but, it at least sounds like your DVD drive is the culprit. You're right, it is the reason navi systems generally stop working. The drive isn't cheap though. It might just be the disc spinning/laser mechanism, which you can replace from alibaba.com for about $100 if you search the model number (there are threads here on AZ that discuss which model number is for what drive, etc). However, it might be something else on the drive and as such, that will be much more expensive to fix. Mostly because you can't replace anything else on the drive, so you essentially have to buy another one, Used drives go for a premium. New ones go for an astronomical premium. If you go this route, make sure you got the DVD drive code, otherwise you won't be able to use it!

Last edited by TacoBello; 05-16-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your response. I've not had time to deal with this, it seems like the frequency of these reboots has gone down a little bit, (once for a 30 minute drive vs 3 times for a 10 minute drive). I think I'll endup taking it to Acura when we have time. I hope it won't be too much money, I'd love to get at least another 5 years out of this car.

hah, I see a lot of love for the TLX in your signature, haha.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had random reboots after first experiencing lagging or stuck GPS position, inoperable voice commands/feedback, and various error indicators in the nav diagnostic menus. It was all fixed by returning the DVD unit in the trunk to Alpine for repair ($358 in Jan 2018).

One difference on my reboots was I did notice an audio drop out during reboot. For example, XM radio would drop out for .5 seconds or so - not terrible but definitely noticeable.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

outstanding, thanks for the feedback. I did notice the navi lags some too. especially turning at intersections, map lags behind a bit and rotation is slow.
I sure hope that's all I have to change, I really like my garage the way it is now.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Quick follow-up, without making any changes, the reboots have stopped, so I've not yet brought it to the dealership to investigate. Based on feedback here I might still go ahead and replace the alpine unit in the trunk because I still notice some lag on the gps screen.