Navigation system is unable to acquire a proper GPS signal.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation system is unable to acquire a proper GPS signal.

I've got an 06 TL with Navi and I had to send the DVD-ROM from the trunk in to Alpine for repair (it couldn't read the navigation discs). After reinstalling the drive after the repair, it was able to read the discs, but I'm not getting much further.

On the first load, I see the Acura navi splash screen, then a progress bar stating that the system is downloading the new software. I'm then prompted for the navigation unlock code which I enter. Then I see a red on white background screen which tells me to wait while the system acquires a GPS signal. The system tells me that the car must be running, parked away from tall buildings, should not be moving, and the process may take up to 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I see another red on white screen which says "Navigation systemis unable to acquire a proper GPS signal." It tells me to relocate the car into a more open place, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, then reconnect the battery and follow the on screen prompts. I've been to the red on white screens numerous times now. I've tried reparking the car in various wide open lots and I've also tried the battery disconnect for 30 minutes with no success. If I don't disconnect the battery, I see the exact scenario described above minus having to enter the navigation code.

I've found some forums where other have had the same issue, but no proposed resolutions other than just keep trying. Has anybody been in the situation before and gotten their system working?

Other information: I do not have any tint on the car (I've heard that metallic tint can disrupt the GPS signal) and I don't have anything in the back window well (which covers the GPS receiver).
Old 03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
4th Gear

Update: I've tried many times with the navigation code inputted but the radio code not inputted. Is having the radio working perhaps a prerequisite to having the navigation work? I've noticed that the radio and navigation unit seem to play together in a rather unexpected way. For example, radio volume and XM station info (which normally display up by the climate control temperature readouts) did not function while the navigation DVD-ROM drive was in for refurbishing.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
4th Gear

I figured it out and thankfully it was a predictable situation of needing to plug it in! I went back to double check that all of the connections and I either had forgotten to plug in the GPS antenna or I hadn't plugged it in well enough. There are a few takaways from this:
- There are 5 connections to the back of the trunk mounted Alpine DVD-ROM drive
- The system will not warn you when there is no GPS antenna plugged in
- When I did get the system set up right, I was at the initial WAIT for about 7 minutes before the system picked up my location (the full 10 minutes was not needed).
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Had the same problem this morning And my gps antenna was not plug in so thank you for the info
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear

Navigation Antenna

The navigation unit in my trunk has only 4 connectors. Is there another connector somewhere that is specific to the antenna?