Navigation Resets every startup and center speaker makes loud chop sounds

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Resets every startup and center speaker makes loud chop sounds

Something odd happened today.

I turned my car on and my navigation system asked me to not turn off the engine as it was loading software.

I was then asked for the Navigation code which I entered in.

I didn't think much of this at first but every subsequent time I turned the car off and on, the navigation system would reboot!

I called my Acura dealer and they said the disc reader / control module might be the issue. To replace the unit, it would cost somewhere in the $400 to $500 range.

After the navi restarted, I decided to test the navigation.
After entering in a destination, instead of hearing the usual voice directions, my center speaker would make these loud chunky scratching sounds.

I can't enter any voice commands either. Pressing the voice command button would normally trigger a beep but the center speaker makes a short scratch sound.

My navigation unit and centre speakers are busted!

Does anybody know what it would take to get the centre speaker fixed too?

I would rather not fix it if it requires the dealer to take apart my entire dash.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Call alpine usa and send your dvd unit in to fix your navi..
Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
the navi dvd drive is the source of the problem. It could be the drive itself or the plugs could be loose.

Look in the 3G garage on how to pull the rear panels in the trunk out enough to get to the navi drive. Then make sure everything is firmly pushed in (wire harnesses) into the navi drive and then try the directions again. If you get a choppy sound still, you'll have to send the dvd drive to Alpine USA. They charge around 185 to fix anything and everything with the drive.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, im having the same symptoms on mine as well. thought my center speaker was busted cuz of the sound it made when i pushed the talk button. it also doesn't understand voice commands as good. it thinks im requesting "air conditioner" lol and i just bought this car on the 5th . im wondering if the dealer would take care of this or i should just send it to alpine... hmmm .... im gonna check for loose connections when i get home
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

This is a common problem. it is the control unit in the trunk. basically its the start of it crapping the bed. Send it to Alpine. its $158 or $170 with 2 day shipping. youre going to have to include your disk and return address and a description of what the problem is. will be without the unit for about 2 weeks.