Navigation control unit failure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
^I wouldn't expect it to work perfectly. I never press the OK button though unless I'm actually using it to navigate somewhere. I usually press the "Audio" hard button after the OK screen pops up. Wonder if that works in your case or not.
no it does not work. its like the nav screen is unresponsive.
i plugged the stock head unit in to see if it would work and it did.
iv got it narrowed down to just one plug that has to plugged up for it to work. im looking into the possibility of a few wires being connected to make the nav thing that the oem head unit is still hooked up.
ill post what i can if i get it all working.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by rhdstinky
no it does not work. its like the nav screen is unresponsive.
i plugged the stock head unit in to see if it would work and it did.
iv got it narrowed down to just one plug that has to plugged up for it to work. im looking into the possibility of a few wires being connected to make the nav thing that the oem head unit is still hooked up.
ill post what i can if i get it all working.
I totally get what he's saying. A few month ago, I had Acura look at my navi because there were anywhere from a 2-4sec delayed recognition when i pressed something on th screen like sat the letter A when spelling a street. Not only would the be a delayed reaction but it would also delay the next group of letters i could use to spell the names of the streets im my stay. At first the were going to remove the screen but decided to replace dvd drive. When they swapped the drive, i would see the same f'g lag. One thing that did not lag however is if i did the same routine using only speach. So i starting thing, could it be the version of disc. Would the performce jump exponentially say if i install the 2012 disc. So heres my question to everyone. Forget what new street or subdevisions were /weren't added on your new disc. Did the performance when updating data and/or get quicker compared to the previous disc? If so this would be my main reason to getting an updated disc. Because its snappier. Kindof when Android 2.1 was updated to 2.2. It was a lot more responsive a phone w/o updating processors or memory.

Please opine as in ver intrigued wit your answers...
Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a similar issue but my car completely dies.

Please help me someone. The past 2 days have been bad. My scNavigation. Do I need to disconnect it or gradually gets worse and just shuts off. Well after 10 mins of driving it shut down all power to the car for about 20 seconds and turns back on. After that I shut off the car and the battery was completely dead (took 15 mins for the alternator charges it enough to start. So now I just want to drive my car, what do I do? Will removing the disc prevent it from draining my battery? Anything please. Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBeOnIt
Please help me someone. The past 2 days have been bad. My scNavigation. Do I need to disconnect it or gradually gets worse and just shuts off. Well after 10 mins of driving it shut down all power to the car for about 20 seconds and turns back on. After that I shut off the car and the battery was completely dead (took 15 mins for the alternator charges it enough to start. So now I just want to drive my car, what do I do? Will removing the disc prevent it from draining my battery? Anything please. Thanks
sounds like it is time to get a new battery as for the draining of the battery just pull the fuse for the unit and it will no longer drain the battery
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cinobyte
sounds like it is time to get a new battery as for the draining of the battery just pull the fuse for the unit and it will no longer drain the battery
I see what you're saying but I have no clue which fuse it is. I looked and the only relevant one is the "Radio" one. Is that it? Or is it some weird label? I would be more than happy to disconnect it and that way I can send it off to Alpine if that in fact works. I really appreciate you replying. It's driving me nuts cuz that car is my baby! Lol
Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I will have to look since i cant rem what fuse is what but I would search here and check your manual in the meantime. and easy way to tell is pull the radio fuse if navi wont come on then that was probably the correct fuse. I don't think you have a bad drive problem which is what you would send back to be repaired so i would skip that. go to advance auto have them test the battery and disconnect radio/nav until you can get someone to trace down the short. I find when it comes to wiring shorts its well worth the money to pay someone else to find it.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

I appreciate the advice man. Everyone I've asked says it's a short in the ground possibly and that I need to take it to the dealer to be safe. So Tues I will take it in. First major issue I've had so far (knock on wood). It's too precious to leave Broken. That's my girl! Lol
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got an 05 tl with 55k miles on it. It was under warranty up to 50k miles had the navigation just Sh*t the bed. Should I try going to the dealer and see what they say or send it out to alpine? It stays on the acura navigation screen and flashes every 30-45 seconds. It went bad once I replaced all interior lights with L.E.Ds but i doubt that has anything to do with it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ChrisBeOnIt
I see what you're saying but I have no clue which fuse it is. I looked and the only relevant one is the "Radio" one. Is that it? Or is it some weird label? I would be more than happy to disconnect it and that way I can send it off to Alpine if that in fact works. I really appreciate you replying. It's driving me nuts cuz that car is my baby! Lol
It's not the radio fuse. I tried pulling that last night, and yea, the radio dosen't work but the Nav continues to power up even though it's not working correctly. I don't have the prints so I'll go to the library. They have the factory manuals there. I to would like to know.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Cruisin'

So i was driving today for about 30 mins and I notice the enter code screen come up and i entered the navigation code and my navigation worked fine. I went to shut off the car and it went back to being broken -___- what do I do with this unit? like I said my car is just out of warranty by 5k miles. When I was heading back home the navigation came on about 20mins into the ride again. Any reason for this?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 05lgtny
So i was driving today for about 30 mins and I notice the enter code screen come up and i entered the navigation code and my navigation worked fine. I went to shut off the car and it went back to being broken -___- what do I do with this unit? like I said my car is just out of warranty by 5k miles. When I was heading back home the navigation came on about 20mins into the ride again. Any reason for this?
Send it to alpine.... mine is doing the same, only problem is last time i called they're asking $350 now instead of $150!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Any updates to this thread?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
358 is the standard charge now instead of 158
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM
9th Gear

Just got mine back from Alpine. 1 week and all is back to normal!!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
5th Gear

I have the reboot problem as well and send of my unit to Alpine.
Now 1.5 weeks later I got a letter from Alpine with following message:
Unit was deemed non-repairable

Have any of you guys had that happen to you?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
5th Gear

So I got my drive back with a description saying: Liquid Damage – Water
I took the unit apart and don’t any signs of water or liquid damaged.
Do any of you know how Alpine determine water/liquid damaged?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
regarding the last two posts, have you tried calling Alpine for a better explanation?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 AM
Spazzz

Total Black Screen, No Radio Display

SOoooooo, this 4th of July I put a cooler of ice in trunk. The Ice melted and the cooler fell over leaking water into the trunk. Now my Navi is blank and radio display (up top by temp reading) is gone also. I have removed the unit and have had a fan on it for 4 days straight now. I will reconnect it and see if it works. I have checked fuse # 32 and 7 and both are fine. Radio does work, but have not disconnected battery as of yet(afraid of loosing radio since LCD does not work for code.) If it still is broke, I was going to send it to Alpine, but these last 2 posts have got me scared. Has anyone else had Alpine return a unit to them that was deemed "non-repairable"??? Did they still keep your money, even though they didn't fix it?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 AM
Spazzz

Found this website: http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com/ve...ion/alpine.htm
Has anybody tried them???
Old 08-13-2014, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

Just an update. I've had a similar problem. 2005 Acura RL, screen would freeze up periodically. Then it started giving a message of "Downloading software" and then a message of "Please check disc". Dealer wanted $3900 to replace (wow!!!). United Radio is now charging $470 to repair, sent it off today, will try to remember to post results when I get it back.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

i have 05 tl. the navi comes and goes. how would i go about fixing it. its really annoying
Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 AM
Spazzz

Update

Originally Posted by AJHardee
Found this website: http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com/ve...ion/alpine.htm
Has anybody tried them???
I paid $13.00 to send my Nav DVD player to shortcircuitrepair.com. They told me it had liquid damage and was not repairable. They wanted to sell me a refurbished one for $885. I talked him down to $775 (he said that's the dealer price) I decided to look around on ebay and found one for $450 used. It's in the mail now. I asked shortcircuit.com to return just my dvd disc and they still wanted $20 to ship it back. Since it was the same cost to ship the entire unit with the dvd maps I had them send me back the whole thing. So, $33 wasted to see if shortcircuit.com can fix water damage. If it helps my fellow TL friends to save their time and money, I count it as worth it. Learn from my mistake guys...If your navigation drive gets wet, it's NOT repairable!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced

My navi's been freezing up as well. All my navi buttons will stop working, but if it was left on the map screen, it will still show the car moving along the streets.

It was only doing when it was really hot out, but it's been doing it more frequently and usually within 30 minutes of turning on the car. (long commute to work).

Usually disconnecting the nav unit in the trunk for a day or two will delay stop the problem with happening for a while. This trick hasn't been working lately.

Any one else having the same problems?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

An update on my status. I sent my unit off to United Radio. They called and got my credit card info. I asked if they had verified that it could be repaired. They said yes...but apparently they had not actually checked it. They told me it would be a 2-3 day turnaround. After 5 days (and noticing that my credit card had never been charged), I called them. They then told me my unit had been changed to 3-4 week turnaround.

They were, for whatever reason, unable to repair it, but sent it to the manufacturer (Alpine). That ended up taking about a week. I've had it re-installed for almost a week now and it's working perfectly. I actually even feel a little better knowing it was repaired by the manufacturer. The unit had a broken door (I hit it once with luggage) and they even replaced the door on the unit.

Final cost was $470 - not cheap by any means, but a mere fraction of what the Acura dealer wanted ($3900).
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by drcfire
An update on my status. I sent my unit off to United Radio. They called and got my credit card info. I asked if they had verified that it could be repaired. They said yes...but apparently they had not actually checked it. They told me it would be a 2-3 day turnaround. After 5 days (and noticing that my credit card had never been charged), I called them. They then told me my unit had been changed to 3-4 week turnaround.

They were, for whatever reason, unable to repair it, but sent it to the manufacturer (Alpine). That ended up taking about a week. I've had it re-installed for almost a week now and it's working perfectly. I actually even feel a little better knowing it was repaired by the manufacturer. The unit had a broken door (I hit it once with luggage) and they even replaced the door on the unit.

Final cost was $470 - not cheap by any means, but a mere fraction of what the Acura dealer wanted ($3900).
The cost was 470 when it was sent to alpine? I remember reading it was around 150ish... Did you have the reboot problem?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 PM
3rd Gear

My navi wasn't working on my TL and most of the time the screen was black and white vertical lines and none the the navigation and buttons around it worked. So I finally decided to send my drive in to United Radio Services and it was delivered on Friday. So, I just wanted to know when should I expect a call from them? Also it sucks if the price increased again from $350 to $470.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
No, the price is 358 if you send the unit directly yourself to Alpine. 3rd party places like that United Radio probably charging you extra just so they can send it in to Alpine.

I'm looking at replacing the internal disc mechanism from a chinese part for about 130-ish. People have had luck with that in the other big navi thread.
The following users liked this post:
Su1422 (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear

Sucks, I sent it to United Radio to fix it and thought that they were the one fixing it, but in the end I am paying for the middle man that wasn't needed... I never got a call back from United Radio and had to call them myself on Tuesday and they told me $470, so I thought the price did go up and just gave them my credit info. Didn't know I was suppose to send it directly to alpine and not an alpine authorized service center.

Also was told 3-4 week timeframe, should've just sent it directly to Alpine...
Old 10-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

Just wanted to let the forum know I was having issues with my navigation system booting up. I sent my nav directly to Alpine and received my unit in about 10 days. It cost $358 to repair but it looks as if they resolved my issue.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Su1422
Sucks, I sent it to United Radio to fix it and thought that they were the one fixing it, but in the end I am paying for the middle man that wasn't needed... I never got a call back from United Radio and had to call them myself on Tuesday and they told me $470, so I thought the price did go up and just gave them my credit info. Didn't know I was suppose to send it directly to alpine and not an alpine authorized service center.

Also was told 3-4 week timeframe, should've just sent it directly to Alpine...
Dang, sorry to hear man! But now you know. Wish you could've stumbled on this earlier to save some money. But it's all cool though now you know.

Originally Posted by money5577
Just wanted to let the forum know I was having issues with my navigation system booting up. I sent my nav directly to Alpine and received my unit in about 10 days. It cost $358 to repair but it looks as if they resolved my issue.
Sounds good. Yeah I'm actually not gonna go through with fixing my navi for now. I can still use the AC/heat and I can still set the clock (by disconnect and reconnect the battery at 12am )

Reason is that with the navi unit being in the car it will scratch up the moving disc mechanism/scratch the disc...so sooner or later this will bound to fail again. And since I also did research into possibility of making a home-made DVD-R backup of the orange navi disc...unfortunately the way the OEM navi disc is made it's from a replication factory that uses the PTP format, which is not available for consumer DVDs and consumer DVD burners.

So even if I fixed it, if the car motion scratches the disc then I need to spend more money getting another OEM disc as well.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
No, the price is 358 if you send the unit directly yourself to Alpine. 3rd party places like that United Radio probably charging you extra just so they can send it in to Alpine.

I'm looking at replacing the internal disc mechanism from a chinese part for about 130-ish. People have had luck with that in the other big navi thread.

Hey Nist7,

Can you link to this post where people replaced with this part. I'd like to look into it as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djspot
Hey Nist7,

Can you link to this post where people replaced with this part. I'd like to look into it as well.

Thanks!
Yup, here you go: https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15146929

It's a direct link to drew2k's post #197. He has a 2004 TL which would work with any 04-06 TL navi. Remember the 07-08 TL had a different navi unit in the trunk and uses a diff part number for the internal disc mechanism...which for some reason is CHEAPER on the Aliexpress website. There are a couple of guys who wondered if they can use the 07-08 internal mechanism inthe 04-06 units but so far no one has tried it and the photos of the two looks different and so that would likely not work.

Basically search for this in google and you'll probably see the Aliexpress sale website: "DV36T02C"

That guy had success with replacement and it's working for him. I saw that same username on ebay selling his old dead mechanism

Last edited by nist7; 10-10-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

Just an update.

Just got back my Navi from URS and re-installed it and it looks like its working. So far I haven't drove around yet to see if any problems come up, but hopefully no more problems come up with it though.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Question

^Seems so. Based on other people's responses, sending it to Apline fixed the issue. Mine has been better lately, boots up normally 1/2 the time. Other times it takes 5-10 minutes of endless booting. Blah...I need to send it in. I swear it has something to do with the cold weather because if I've been driving the car for a while and get our for a bit then get back in, the nav boots up just fine.
I also think it has to do with the cold weather. My '05 acura NAV is booting up perfectly in warm weather. As soon as it goes cold, it takes forever and goes in cycles if rebooting. This makes me want to think these is a loose connection somewhere. Did you ever send it in to alpine and get the endless rebooting to get resolved???
Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Chapimex_3
I also think it has to do with the cold weather. My '05 acura NAV is booting up perfectly in warm weather. As soon as it goes cold, it takes forever and goes in cycles if rebooting. This makes me want to think these is a loose connection somewhere. Did you ever send it in to alpine and get the endless rebooting to get resolved???
Yuck I forgot about this issue.

Yes. It was something like $180 for them to refurb the unit and send it back. Took ~3 weeks. Was like new again after. TL is long gone, however, so I can't say if it's still working or not.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

No way

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If the car is still under warranty, let the dealer take care of the problem, if not.........

I have the Nav system also, but am not encountering any problems, but was curious as to what might have failed. After reading many, many threads about Acura and Honda nav failures, as many experience the problem, it seems that the battery disconnect and reconnect after 10/15 minutes doesn't change the situation, which was going to be my first thought. It appears that the dealer's solution is to replace the DVD/Navigator in the trunk, which is pretty pricey, so if under warranty, let them correct the issue, but if it's your dime and you find that the DVD is kaput, check out the following which I found on the Honda Forum:

For those who need repair of the Honda Navigation Unit found in the trunck of the car. Navigation Technical Support (888) 628-4357.

Ship to:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
2012 Abalony Avenue - Unit D
Torrance, CA 90501

Include:
Description of Problem
Return Address
Phone Contact

Pay by Credit Card, Check or Money Order $150.
I have a problem with mine on my 2003 mdx it's very dark and blinking constantly when the vehicle is on of course . I called alpine and they wanted $350 ! 2/6/16
Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Cruisin'

Navidation screen

^I wouldn't expect it to work perfectly. I never press the OK button though unless I'm actually using it to navigate somewhere. I usually press the "Audio" hard button after the OK screen pops up. Wonder if that works in your case or not.
I also have done what you do. If I was not to use the navigation, instead of selection OK on the screen, I would use the audio button for the radio. But now.... when I start the car and the navigation screen pops up and the disclaimer screen pops up, I do not get the "OK" button to show. Also i am not able to get the nav. disc to pop out of the unit.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 AM
MZL
Cruisin'

bump

Same problem as above now. I bought a DV36T02C mechanism and replaced it a couple years ago. It worked up until recently. Now I can't even eject the disc.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

AC not working , Apparently due to Nav system

Hi Fellow Tl peeps
I have a 2005 Acura tl. I had all the AC parts repaired to no avel. The ac still, doesn't work. They are having trouble with diagnosis. Computer errors for days and system not communicating properly with the system. My mechanics best guess, And yes it is a guess. He says he thinks it is the NAV wich is connected to ac controls and many other things. My next move is a dealer. Im very reluctant to take an 05 older vehicle to dealer as thge car is not worth but about 3k. Let me know what you think. Im at a loss.
Thx Broskis