Navigation control unit failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Mine has been booting up normally 10% of the time. 80% of the time it boots after driving for 10 or so minutes. Then the rest of the time it doesn't boot. I called Alpine a few days ago and it takes 2-3 weeks from the time its shipped out to the time you get it back. So I'm just waiting until after I travel for Christmas and such.

Doesn't really make me any less happy with my car. It's Alpine's fault, not Honda/Acura's. Oh well. Worse things could happen.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so before I go through all the efforts of removing my control unit, due to this constant rebooting, are we 100% sure its not just a bad disc that keeps it rebooting?

Its for sure the control unit?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm Craig

^Seems so. Based on other people's responses, sending it to Apline fixed the issue. Mine has been better lately, boots up normally 1/2 the time. Other times it takes 5-10 minutes of endless booting. Blah...I need to send it in. I swear it has something to do with the cold weather because if I've been driving the car for a while and get our for a bit then get back in, the nav boots up just fine.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Dangit I have to dig it out now.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm Craig

Hey, I was RELIEVED when I found out it's only $150 to have fixed, as opposed to a couple of grand.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by cjTL
Hey, I was RELIEVED when I found out it's only $150 to have fixed, as opposed to a couple of grand.
That is a good point.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
Ok, so before I go through all the efforts of removing my control unit, due to this constant rebooting, are we 100% sure its not just a bad disc that keeps it rebooting?

Its for sure the control unit?
If you want to be certain, take it to Acura.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
If you want to be certain, take it to Acura.
Thats another good point. What do you think they'd say if they came back to me and said, it will cost $xxxx amount of money, and that number would be outrageous as expected, and I said I can send it into Alpine for $150 and have it sent back fixed, can you please take it out of there for me?

Think they would?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

I'm relieved I took my friend who is an Acura finance mngr's advice and bought the extended warranty because of these issues with the navi. He told me it was the number 1 failure with the newer TL's and very expensive in some cases. Even my scheduled Maintenance was pre-paid for..lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm Craig

Thats another good point. What do you think they'd say if they came back to me and said, it will cost $xxxx amount of money, and that number would be outrageous as expected, and I said I can send it into Alpine for $150 and have it sent back fixed, can you please take it out of there for me?

Think they would?
Knowing the dealer, they'd probably charge to just take the unit out. Although it might look and seem intimidating if you've never taken anything apart on your car, it's super easy to remove the trunk lining. Just a matter of a couple of screws. There are many DIYs in the 3G Garage for this. When I first joined Acurazine, I never thought I'd have the guts to take anything apart. And within a year, I was pulling my entire front interior apart (navigation screen included) to replace burnt out light bulbs. It's really kind of fun if you have patience, etc.

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
I'm relieved I took my friend who is an Acura finance mngr's advice and bought the extended warranty because of these issues with the navi. He told me it was the number 1 failure with the newer TL's and very expensive in some cases. Even my scheduled Maintenance was pre-paid for..lol.
I wish my car had the extended warranty. Unfortunately, electrical gremlins like this are bound to happen at some point when there's so much technology in a car.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Found the easy to remove screws, but there seems to be one small other kind of fastener or bolt in there, towards the back side where the light is, behind the light?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Banned

Knowing the dealer, they'd probably charge to just take the unit out. Although it might look and seem intimidating if you've never taken anything apart on your car, it's super easy to remove the trunk lining. Just a matter of a couple of screws. There are many DIYs in the 3G Garage for this. When I first joined Acurazine, I never thought I'd have the guts to take anything apart. And within a year, I was pulling my entire front interior apart (navigation screen included) to replace burnt out light bulbs. It's really kind of fun if you have patience, etc.

I wish my car had the extended warranty. Unfortunately, electrical gremlins like this are bound to happen at some point when there's so much technology in a car.
They are indeed bound to happen. This is why I prepared b4 my purshase. I bought my car with navi to use, not to have to going into my pockets to find money i don't have to repair it...lol. $150 is a lot of extra cash out of my monthly budget and i don't do credit cards. EVER... lol.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Anyone know if there's any sort of warranty from Alpine when they do this work? I'll call them shortly as I need to send mine off but I'm just making sure....
Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine just went out on me this weekend. Started as a blurred display, then lost sensitivity, then failed to boot completely. Also lost the LED radio display at that point. Already pulled the unit, its very easy once you get the trunk liner peeled back. 7 or 8 screws holding the harness in and about 5 electical clips to unplug. Do we need to call Alpine first, or can we just send it in following the listed instructions and the payment?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

got mines back from alpine with the same problems as the rest of you, but it came back still broken!! now i gotta resend it according to alpine support, free under warranty. hopefully they fix it next time around.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by Mcesar84
Mine just went out on me this weekend. Started as a blurred display, then lost sensitivity, then failed to boot completely. Also lost the LED radio display at that point. Already pulled the unit, its very easy once you get the trunk liner peeled back. 7 or 8 screws holding the harness in and about 5 electical clips to unplug. Do we need to call Alpine first, or can we just send it in following the listed instructions and the payment?
Not trying to worry you, but a blurred display and the screen not being sensitive doesn't have anything to do with the control unit. You can send it to Alpine just to make sure though...

I'd call Alpine first. They'll tell you the address and instructions.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Does anybody know if the rest of the system will still function safely once the Control unit in the trunk has been removed.

For example while the unit is at alpine, is it ok to just leave the connectors free hanging in the trunk and continue to use the radio/bluetooth?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by DARKNIGHT83
Does anybody know if the rest of the system will still function safely once the Control unit in the trunk has been removed.

For example while the unit is at alpine, is it ok to just leave the connectors free hanging in the trunk and continue to use the radio/bluetooth?
I'd probably put them in a plastic baggy or something just so dust doesn't get into them.

As for using to other stuff, I'm sure it'll be fine to do. I wish it didn't take two weeks though...I've yet to send mine in.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Found the easy to remove screws, but there seems to be one small other kind of fastener or bolt in there, towards the back side where the light is, behind the light?
did you get your unit out already? i have a thread of a diy video for this. you mention the light but you dont have to remove anything that far up. search for revoming navi control unit. i think that was the title i used. mine is finally going out tommorrow morning to alpine hope they fix it.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i juat got mine from alpine today and it works perfectly. for 158 dollars it is a bargain. definately worth it plus a money back warranty of 90 days.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm Craig

Mine boots up just fine when the temperature is >50 degrees. Kinda weird.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by jr27
did you get your unit out already? i have a thread of a diy video for this. you mention the light but you dont have to remove anything that far up. search for revoming navi control unit. i think that was the title i used. mine is finally going out tommorrow morning to alpine hope they fix it.
Would love to see your video, still haven't taken mine out, but sounds like yours went well. I hope this is the issue with mine? I just have that boot up screen that cycles and never gets into the rest of the menus, is that what yours was doing? Some of my buttons don't work well either, the real hardware buttons, when trying to change XM stations etc...? Not sure if its related?

Do you have a link to your video?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Finally found jr27's link to his YouTube video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZIlb...layer_embedded
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

I have the same problem -navi reboots over and over again. Similar to cjTL, my navi also boots up fine >50 degrees.

However, when the engine is off and when I have the key turned to I - the navi works perfect. When I turn to key to II, with engine on or off, the rebooting problems occur.

Could it be a defective unit? Navi works perfect when key is on I. It seems as if the navi is not getting enough power.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

Mine finally failed on my 05 TL about a week ago. Sent it in on Weds. They still said price was only $150. 7-10 days turn around.

Only problem is that I now have no stereo until it gets back...DOH!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rather than start a new thread, I will discuss my issues here.

I never had an issue with my nav unit. Purchased the latest DVD upgrade and all was fine for several weeks. When the problem started, the nav initially was giving me incorrect roads and city areas. Then all of a sudden, the screen would not display at start up. It stays blank up to 1/2 hour, or, it blanks out while driving.

I took several photos of the screen while driving and a message displayed by the unit. Took it to the dealer and received their customary response "we couldn't duplicate the problem." So I said I have photos of the screen and the tech says it is the battery. I replied that battery is a year old and when the old battery died it didn't exhibit this behavior. So they did a battery drain test and that didn't reveal anything. Two days later, it blanks out and I am down the street from the dealer so I drive it in. Tech examines it and says I need to make an appointment to bring it in.

I have an extended warranty and they are doing everything in their power to not give me another unit. I also have a Nav-to-go that is only hooked up to the ground screw and the reverse light. It was never connected with the pnp harness or connected to any power.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting a little tired of driving around with a black screen.
Should I remove the unit completely before I take it in?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allykahn
Rather than start a new thread, I will discuss my issues here.

I never had an issue with my nav unit. Purchased the latest DVD upgrade and all was fine for several weeks. When the problem started, the nav initially was giving me incorrect roads and city areas. Then all of a sudden, the screen would not display at start up. It stays blank up to 1/2 hour, or, it blanks out while driving.

I took several photos of the screen while driving and a message displayed by the unit. Took it to the dealer and received their customary response "we couldn't duplicate the problem." So I said I have photos of the screen and the tech says it is the battery. I replied that battery is a year old and when the old battery died it didn't exhibit this behavior. So they did a battery drain test and that didn't reveal anything. Two days later, it blanks out and I am down the street from the dealer so I drive it in. Tech examines it and says I need to make an appointment to bring it in.

I have an extended warranty and they are doing everything in their power to not give me another unit. I also have a Nav-to-go that is only hooked up to the ground screw and the reverse light. It was never connected with the pnp harness or connected to any power.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting a little tired of driving around with a black screen.
Should I remove the unit completely before I take it in?
Okay I'll expound on this. My Navi has a lag bad as I've mentioned on this thread before. For example i press a leter to spell an address and it takes a few seconds before it recognized that i pressed the letter "D" or "A" for example. Also the screen volume plays catch-up visually to what it states up where the temp is displayed.

So I digress... They said the exact same thing. Bad battery. Mine ended up being bad and was replaced under warranty. They told me to check things out in a few days. The Navi started lagging again. My dealer thou has no problem testing out everything and doing anything to make me happy including sending off DVD Rom reader or the screen itself to swap. That said, I have purchased 10 cars from them in the last 12yr's as well as sent my mom there and she's since purchased 5 cars since 2001. I also have sent 30 others to buy hondas/Acuras from this dealer so they may be kissing my ass a bit. Anyway Like ive said I'll be sure to post exactly what they find wrong if anything. I do have the 2008 disc I bought the car with last June and it was also brought to many peoples attention that the 2010 disc cleared up a lot of the lagging. Your issues a disc wont solve but it could def be something faulty in the screen or DVD ROM drive which many have had replaced/repaired and it did the trick. Just keep pushing bro even if you have to call Acura Customer Service.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Team Anthracite Member

2005 Acura TL Navi issues

First off, thanks to everyone for their posts and info. I just recently been having the same problems everyone else here seems to have. Occasional rebooting/reacquiring then when it is working becomes very inaccurate, by 10s of miles. Accessing the Diagnostic mode showed complete satellite lock and that all seemed OK. I just called United Radio Services (URS)
5717 Enterprise Parkway
E. Syracuse, NY 13057
Phone: 1-800-634-8606 or 1-315-446-8700 Fax: 1-315-446-8505

they quoted me $350 flat rate to repair it, that includes shipping and insurance both ways. now I guess I have to decide weather to go that route or rig up some kind of carpc.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Booker357
I just called United Radio Services (URS)
5717 Enterprise Parkway
E. Syracuse, NY 13057
Phone: 1-800-634-8606 or 1-315-446-8700 Fax: 1-315-446-8505

they quoted me $350 flat rate to repair it, that includes shipping and insurance both ways.

FYI, Alpine in Torrance, CA does Navi DVD repairs for @$160-- the Alpine address and phone info is in just about every 3G TL "Navi dead/dying" thread except this one.

G/L regardless.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2004 mdx and I want to remove my unit to senc to Alpine, but don't know how. Mine is under the passengers seat. Do I need to remove the seat?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
"Please Inert Disk"

So like pretty much everyone else here I started having issues with my navigation system in my 2006 TL earlier this year. At first it would display the error message "please insert disk" for maybe a day or so at a time and then work normally after, but as of about two weeks ago, the unit seemed stuck on the error all the time.

After reading up on Acurazine I found this thread, called into Alpine and verified the charge to repair (flat $158), and went ahead and shipped it off to their address in CA.

Looking forward to getting it back from Alpine and being able to use my Nav system again as I can't believe how much I relied on it.

FYI here's the contact info I used for Alpine:
1-800-421-2284
2012 Abalony Avenue - Unit D
Torrance CA 90501
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 AM
SlowAnthony

Just so everyone knows for the future. The new rate for this fix (as of May 2012) is $358 flat rate.

FML!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by WhiteBB2
Just so everyone knows for the future. The new rate for this fix (as of May 2012) is $358 flat rate.

FML!!!!
Did they say why it went up?
I might as well just buy a new system and have it installed for that price?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm Craig

Ouch. Glad mine failed last year then. Better not fail again anytime soon.

Not only the cost factor but the whole thing was a fiasco. Alpine's customer support is a joke. I sent it and it took three weeks for the damn thing to finally receive the hour of work it needed.

Last edited by cjTL; 06-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Banned

Ouch. Glad mine failed last year then. Better not fail again anytime soon.

Not only the cost factor but the whole thing was a fiasco. Alpine's customer support is a joke. I sent it and it took three weeks for the damn thing to finally receive the hour of work it needed.
Mine failed while under warranty last summer. My car only has 51k miles..lol. I found a good cpo ate the time. my navi still lags bad. TBhey dint give me a new dvd. Mine has 08 white disc Acura told me that disc lagged in the 1st place. Any scratches only makes it worse so they're trying to swap it out.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBB2

FML!!!!

This seriously is the worst news ever. I'm going to be calling later today to confirm, and I'm hoping that maybe this isn't the case...but I have a bad feeling. I can't understand the justification of going from $158 to $358 for the same exact service. Its absolute garbage that Acura knows how touchy these units are and how they're bound to fail, and its even worse that Alpine is upping the price on us. Right now my unit is working minus the voice commands,when she goes to talk to me it sounds like popcorn popping. I might just buying a Garmin and call it a day. By the time I spend the $358 & $99 for the newest disc I could save $400 and just eat it.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's official its $358 for sure, what a joke. The support person from Alpine sounded like he could care less about anything. When asked about why the price doubled he had no response whatsoever. For that amount of cashola, I'm muting the voice command and just forgetting about it. I want to trade this thing in asap and get out before additional issues come up.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
FML this just started happening to me. 358...naw im good. I have noticed that this is in relation to a "time period" if car is off. It never fails that starting the car in the morning (after sitting all night) I get the reboot process for about 5-15 mins, however a startup or initialization of the NAV (starting the car within 60 mins) I receive no errors at all and I get the "ok" button.

If this was to happen on EVERY startup then that would make sense but there is something more if this occurs after 1-2 hours after you have shut off the car..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ok my problem is alil dif than everyone elses. but this seems like the best thread that iv found so far to ask this question.
before i ask i know a few ppl are goin to say ( thats ur problem there) but please read before wrightin it off so fast.
i removed the factory head unit and replaced it with an apline head unit. its a single din head unit. the mounting holes lined up perfect with the oem head unit holes and the face sits perfectly flush with the nav.
my problem is that when i turn the car on the dissclaimer screen comes up, the ok button comes up, but when i touch the ok button nothing happens. its like the screen is unresponsive, a few seconds later the screen goes black, just as if you had never touched it at all.
i know that oem head unit is tied into the nav and all that jazz. but shouldnt the nav touch screen work still?
thanks to who ever could help.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm Craig

^I wouldn't expect it to work perfectly. I never press the OK button though unless I'm actually using it to navigate somewhere. I usually press the "Audio" hard button after the OK screen pops up. Wonder if that works in your case or not.

Quick Reply: Navigation control unit failure?