Navi touchscreen issue figured out!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi touchscreen issue figured out!?

Hey guys i figured out my navi problem: touchscreen/buttons unresponsive. I had mines sent to alpine but came back with the same problem. Now, a few weeks ago i posted on this forum about how my navi doesnt work and is unresponsive to the touch and buttons. Well i noticed that whenever i hit a bump or drive fast my navi would then start workin. Yesterday, my navi again was not working so i figured it might really be a connection issue, so i kept hittin the side of my navi, right under the steering wheel and gues what it worked!! The only problem is, is that i need to keep hitting it to get it to work and even then, the connection or something gets out of place.

Does anyone else have this problem? it seems like im the only one so far.
Anyways, do you guys think i should get the navi screen pulled out and see if there are any loose connections?
Im guessing the wires that run from and to the DVD unit are: Audio/video, power, and touchscreen/button functions right?

Any help or comments are appreciated
Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
does the joystick or any of the dedicated buttons work?

If yes, my guess is that the touch-panel wire worked itself out somehow from behind the screen. I can take photos on which wire if that is the case, but you'd have to remove the screen to get to it.

If it's the whole system being unresponsive, I'm guessing it's probably a bad ground near the steering area for the car.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Under the steering wheel is weird.

Might be the steering wheel button.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

csmeance, both joystick and buttons dont work... whenever i hit the side of the navi console just under the steering wheel to right, it makes a crackling noise in the rear speakers. and usually if i hit it enough the navi buttons/touchscreen will work as well as the radio digital screen would also come up.Otherwise, buttons, touchscreen, and digital lcd for the radio does not work.

Do you know if that wire is easy to fix?
I think on this case it might be a bad ground gathering from what im noticing and what your telling me, Im just not very good with electrical stuff.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

KN TL, what do you mean the steering wheel button?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

The button on the steering wheel that get's the system's attention for the voice commands. It's just one wire and if it's shorted, I am not sure what it would do to the system. My ride is garaged right now with no battery in it so I can't check it out for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by D1G1TAL GHOST
Hey guys i figured out my navi problem: touchscreen/buttons unresponsive. I had mines sent to alpine but came back with the same problem. Now, a few weeks ago i posted on this forum about how my navi doesnt work and is unresponsive to the touch and buttons. Well i noticed that whenever i hit a bump or drive fast my navi would then start workin. Yesterday, my navi again was not working so i figured it might really be a connection issue, so i kept hittin the side of my navi, right under the steering wheel and gues what it worked!! The only problem is, is that i need to keep hitting it to get it to work and even then, the connection or something gets out of place.

Does anyone else have this problem? it seems like im the only one so far.
Anyways, do you guys think i should get the navi screen pulled out and see if there are any loose connections?
Im guessing the wires that run from and to the DVD unit are: Audio/video, power, and touchscreen/button functions right?

Any help or comments are appreciated
I have this problem. Even when i turn up the volume with the steering wheel buttons, the volume setting shown on navi screen would take a whit to match what the top-ter sceen would state the volume was. I have extended warranty, I'm going to have honda pick it up sine in 2 miles away from the dealership and am on bed rest due to surgery. Everything you posted in you previous thread, I am having. Especially the delayed response that a button on the screen had been touched.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

KN TL, nah the steering wheel buttons work, and i can even bring up the navi with that, but not much control because its essentially just an on/off and not something i can really control. Is that your TL with a turbo?

Parasurfer, can you PM me when you get this problem fix by your dealer? I dont have warranty nor the extra cash to be spending on the car after sending it to alpine. Anyways PM me the solution.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Banned

KN TL, nah the steering wheel buttons work, and i can even bring up the navi with that, but not much control because its essentially just an on/off and not something i can really control. Is that your TL with a turbo?

Parasurfer, can you PM me when you get this problem fix by your dealer? I dont have warranty nor the extra cash to be spending on the car after sending it to alpine. Anyways PM me the solution.
Names Desmond (re. sig. lol) yes i will. I'll have them do it this week. This was the main reason Acura gave me to do extended warranty. Main probs minus transmission was navi failure. It's not cheap and I cant afford it. It wont be a cheap fix if its not the wiring you claim. The whole screen has to be replaced. can be over a grand they said. so for the price of that deck, i paid for extended warranty.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm having this problem as well! It 1st started 2 weeks ago when I plugged in my ipod for the 1st time. All of the buttons on both the radio and nav were unresponsive but would work if I hit them multiple times. The steering wheel controls would work at first but they ended up getting slow as well and my display up above the nav was unresponsive as well. I disconected the battery for a while and when I hooked it back up everything was working like new again...... until today. Now it's back to being unresponsive again. I didn't try the ipod again but I was going to yesterday so I pulled the plug out but I didnt have my ipod with me. I don't know if the plug is causing a bad conection or what but I hope some1 finds the issue because I can't afford a new nav or radio at the moment..... btw, which 1 would need replacing anyways because they're both acting the same way.

Another thought, could it be the nav dvd in the trunk? Everything is wired through that and I did have a trunk leak.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by corcraft
I'm having this problem as well! It 1st started 2 weeks ago when I plugged in my ipod for the 1st time. All of the buttons on both the radio and nav were unresponsive but would work if I hit them multiple times. The steering wheel controls would work at first but they ended up getting slow as well and my display up above the nav was unresponsive as well. I disconected the battery for a while and when I hooked it back up everything was working like new again...... until today. Now it's back to being unresponsive again. I didn't try the ipod again but I was going to yesterday so I pulled the plug out but I didnt have my ipod with me. I don't know if the plug is causing a bad conection or what but I hope some1 finds the issue because I can't afford a new nav or radio at the moment..... btw, which 1 would need replacing anyways because they're both acting the same way.

Another thought, could it be the nav dvd in the trunk? Everything is wired through that and I did have a trunk leak.
Do you have warranty? Like i said acura will be picking mine up soon. They say its the deck. Navi issues would mean the rom in the trunk. My screen above th vents works find but the screen info has to keep up and is instant showing the volume level.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced

^no warranty. My screen above the vents is working fine this go round but it wasn't when I had my 1st issue. I would change the station but the station wouldn't change on that display. I'm going to unplug the nav in the trunk when I get home if that doesn't fix the radio buttons (the stations and volume work fine, but the cd/ fm buttons don't and neither do the touch screen buttons). If that doesn't work then I'll get behind the radio and find where the ipod plug is wired in. I just hope its a "cheap" fix.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

^no warranty. My screen above the vents is working fine this go round but it wasn't when I had my 1st issue. I would change the station but the station wouldn't change on that display. I'm going to unplug the nav in the trunk when I get home if that doesn't fix the radio buttons (the stations and volume work fine, but the cd/ fm buttons don't and neither do the touch screen buttons). If that doesn't work then I'll get behind the radio and find where the ipod plug is wired in. I just hope its a "cheap" fix.
Read up a few posts about that. Replacing that deck is not a cheap fix. That's why I was told to buy a warranty. Tranny first and technology failures second in these newer Hondas.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Corcraft, I have already tried sending my DVD unit to alpine but was delivered with the same problem. I even called alpine and they said they changed the necessary parts for my symptoms, but they can look at it again. At this point i dont think Alpine has the fix for this one.

Let me explain my problem one more time if im not being clear. The lcd screen is fine from what i can tell. the problem lies with the connection for the touchscreen and buttons as well as the screen on top of the vent. I thinks these wires are separate from audo/video and the power cable.

Now from what i am noticing is that when i hit a bump my navi would start working again.. so i further looked at this problem even hitting the dvd unit a couple of times but no luck. i went back to the driver seat and started hitting around the outside of the navigation area, just to the left of it. i found a spot that hits either a bad ground(according to another member) or what i originally thought was a bad wire connection (harness maybe) directly to the navi. Anyways when i hit that spot the navi buttons, touchscreen, as well as lcd display above the vents would work for a few minutes or so, then i would resort back into hitting the side of the navi.

Im hoping its not the screen from these symptoms. Im going to my local mechanic this thurs to see what he can do, just not sure how well they know their electrical. Im not planning on going back to acura anytime soon, because they seem to never know what i am talking about, i.e. GM Syncromesh and the fact that everyone has brought theyre navi to them but will only fix it if you have a warranty or a lot of money.

Thanks parasurfer..
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

I think the only way to get to the bottom of it is to take the center console all apart and start wiggling the harnesses and connectors. I don't recall how the button's and joystick are wired but as you said, I don't think it's the touch panel.

And yes, I'm one of the few people with a turbo in a 3G.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced

D1G1TAL G, my symptoms seem to be allot like yours if not identical.

I disconnected my battery on my lunch break and now it seems to be good as new again. It seems that when I mess with the ipod plug going behind the radio that mine starts to give me problems. It could be a bad ground in both of our cases. Please keep me updated on what the service tech tells you.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

Corcraft, i unplugged my battery about 5 times but its still the same.. i think its a bad ground too. Try hitting the navi at the side see if it makes a crackling noise from the rear speakers and if it brings up your navi overhead display as well as your touch controls.

KN TL, what i mean about bad connection is the harness being loose or worn. I have a strong feeling that it might be a bad ground. I just dont know where to start, im not confident enough to tackle something like this and risk ruining things even more so im taking it to a shop asap. How much boost are you runnin with your turbo and hows your TL takin it maintenance wise?

I bought a 6MT because everyone is saying its more reliable so hopefully that doesnt go...So far so good i beleive

I will keep you guys posted, but it might take more than a few days cause im working everyday and have no time to take the car to the shop.

Last edited by D1G1TAL GHOST; 02-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Safety Car

There are ground points all over the place. I didn't realize the sub-display was also going out. That could be a bad display unit. There are connections between the main and sub display. Hope you are still in warranty. That puppy is expensive from the dealer.

I'm only running about 6lbs of boost because my clutch is slipping and the tune is not optimal. Waiting for the new ECU to be released and will be getting the new 2 disc clutch within a month.

One of the other members is pushing his past the 400WHP mark but unfortunately ate #6 cylinder. So he's going all out rebuilding.

I've been pretty conservative so it's holding up well, other than the clutch which I knew wouldn't last. I am in the frozen north so not much happens since I don't have a heated garage but I am working on fixing that.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

KN, the whole upper display unit works besides the part which tells you if your are using: Radio, CD/tape, XM, etc... so basically i can still see my AC, heater, temperature and all that. No warranty for me thats for sure. The Radio, CD/tape part of display works along with the touch controls of the navi when i hit a bump or two on the road. It also works when i start bangin on the side of the navi.. wierd. Also took the car to the shop before work and guess what i hit a huge bump causing it to work for the meantime!!! so i couldnt replicate the problem to the tech, who was new to the shop i go to. Ive gotta wait to see their master tech because he wasnt there today.

KN, at least you live where you can modify your car. Im pretty sure i cant even put an CAI on mines which ive been wanting to do here in Cali. I cant even have this tint i have on my windows haha.. Changing the ECU here would be completely illegal i believe. Did you do anything to your internals after installing the turbo?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

After you've done it once, taking out the display isn't all that bad.

There is one person in Cali that installed the kit. In any state it is technically illegal but a shop here will pass inspection as long as he can see a cat.

I haven't done anything for engine internals at this point. It's not my DD so I take things as they come up. I'm sure a rebuild of the engine and transmission are in my future .

Good Luck
Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

KN, the whole upper display unit works besides the part which tells you if your are using: Radio, CD/tape, XM, etc... so basically i can still see my AC, heater, temperature and all that. No warranty for me thats for sure. The Radio, CD/tape part of display works along with the touch controls of the navi when i hit a bump or two on the road. It also works when i start bangin on the side of the navi.. wierd. Also took the car to the shop before work and guess what i hit a huge bump causing it to work for the meantime!!! so i couldnt replicate the problem to the tech, who was new to the shop i go to. Ive gotta wait to see their master tech because he wasnt there today.

KN, at least you live where you can modify your car. Im pretty sure i cant even put an CAI on mines which ive been wanting to do here in Cali. I cant even have this tint i have on my windows haha.. Changing the ECU here would be completely illegal i believe. Did you do anything to your internals after installing the turbo?
Not to get this thread off topic but you can put an intake on your car in calif. If it's carb badge on the product. You're fine i thought.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

PARA, ive been searchin for one online, but cant find any that are card legal... maybe im not lookin at right places..

Anyways my navi is working completely right now.. not sure why.. so ima wait to see if it happens again before i take it in to the shop.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

PARA, ive been searchin for one online, but cant find any that are card legal... maybe im not lookin at right places..

Anyways my navi is working completely right now.. not sure why.. so ima wait to see if it happens again before i take it in to the shop.
Just email the companies that interest you. Or really just put the stock intake back on when getting inspected.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced

no update on the issue? Mine keeps malfunctioning, I can disconnect/ reconnect the battery and it will be fine for like a month and then it starts doing it again. my exact issues are-

-mode buttons don't work correctly on the steering or on the radio- if i push them numerous times they will eventually work.

-any radio function on the nav screen is the same way but nav works fine.

-radio station on the top display with the clock does the same. I can change the station but that display may not change for a few minutes..... weird! could be a coincidence but it all started the 1st time that I hooked up my ipod and havent tried it since.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Banned

no update on the issue? Mine keeps malfunctioning, I can disconnect/ reconnect the battery and it will be fine for like a month and then it starts doing it again. my exact issues are-

-mode buttons don't work correctly on the steering or on the radio- if i push them numerous times they will eventually work.

-any radio function on the nav screen is the same way but nav works fine.

-radio station on the top display with the clock does the same. I can change the station but that display may not change for a few minutes..... weird! could be a coincidence but it all started the 1st time that I hooked up my ipod and havent tried it since.
Go to Acura...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced

no acura dealer within an hr and a half from me.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

no acura dealer within an hr and a half from me.
Well sounds like a road trip then. Go to a Honda dealer then. Maybe they can try and service it. I'm willing to drive if it's getting taken care of by folks that know what they are doing.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced

was hoping someone had this problem befor so i could fix it