Navi Touchscreen Cold Weather Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Touchscreen Cold Weather Problems

So here is the issue.

My navigation is beginning to act up. The display works perfectly fine (as far as displaying the image goes anyways)

However, often when my car is cold (its like 30 degrees outside here) the touch controls as well as button controls do not respond whatsoever. I find it impossible to press the ok button at the warning screen by either finger or by joystick.

In addition I can not navigate to any of the menus, audio screen, or pull the ok screen back up once it dims with the voice control buttons.

**My radio controls, steering wheel controls, and even HFL controls all still work properly.

My belief is that there is an electrical contact that is loose and contracts with the cold.

I removed the center vents to take a look at the connections to the nav screen but did not notice any problems and I made sure the connections were secure.

Has anyone had a similar problem or any ideas of how to fix it?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stbxvd
So here is the issue.

My navigation is beginning to act up. The display works perfectly fine (as far as displaying the image goes anyways)

However, often when my car is cold (its like 30 degrees outside here) the touch controls as well as button controls do not respond whatsoever. I find it impossible to press the ok button at the warning screen by either finger or by joystick.

In addition I can not navigate to any of the menus, audio screen, or pull the ok screen back up once it dims with the voice control buttons.

**My radio controls, steering wheel controls, and even HFL controls all still work properly.

My belief is that there is an electrical contact that is loose and contracts with the cold.

I removed the center vents to take a look at the connections to the nav screen but did not notice any problems and I made sure the connections were secure.

Has anyone had a similar problem or any ideas of how to fix it?
Any resolution to this? I unplugged the battery multiple times to try to get to this work with no luck. I really don't want to dig into the nav unit again... it's a big mess.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Well I would personally do the nav hack just to avoid having to OK the nag screen. best mod for the dollars for sure. That will only help with the first part of the issue. I think your theory may be correct on the rest of the issue, just no real experience with that. perhaps contact cleaner or just unplugging and replugging the connectors to improve the contacts.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Damn that sounds sucky. OP, you know that you can access the radio screen with all the channels by just pressing the "Audio" button when the OK screen comes up, correct? That's what I do rather than pushing the touchscreen. At least that way you'll be able to see all your presets and won't be stuck on the OK screen.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
Well I would personally do the nav hack just to avoid having to OK the nag screen. best mod for the dollars for sure. That will only help with the first part of the issue. I think your theory may be correct on the rest of the issue, just no real experience with that. perhaps contact cleaner or just unplugging and replugging the connectors to improve the contacts.
Depends on what year he is./ I wish my 08 could do all the hacks the 04-06 could do.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Depends on what year he is./ I wish my 08 could do all the hacks the 04-06 could do.
Signature says 05 so he should be good to go! Yeah those hacks are by far the best mod I have done in terms of cost and frequency of use!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Decided to pull out the control drive from the trunk.

Gonna ship it off to alpine.

When i said it got stuck at the ok screen i mean it was serisously STUCK. Couldnt even bring up the audio menu by pressing the button.

Hopefully its just control unit failure. I can't afford to replace the display thats for sure.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

When i said it got stuck at the ok screen i mean it was serisously STUCK. Couldnt even bring up the audio menu by pressing the button.

Hopefully its just control unit failure. I can't afford to replace the display thats for sure.
Gtocha. Did you call Alpine? I called them (my controller box is beginning to fail also) and they gave me an address that's different than the one on their website.

Where did they tell you to ship it? It sure is interesting how many people are suddenly having issues with their navi.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Yea that is i think 150 bux.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
10th Gear

I had a similar problem last winter; took my car to the dealer and they replaced the touch screen..
Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Update:

Finally got the chance to send the control unit to alpine and then reinstall it.

Everything seems to be working. Turns out there was a problem with the main circuit board as well as the disc mechanism based on what they told me on the phone.

Hope this info helps others.