Navi Takes Me in Circles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Question Navi Takes Me in Circles

Lately, mine's been taking me in circles to get to many destinations. As recently as last week, got off an exit off I-278 in Brooklyn and my entered destination should have had me make a left at the 1st light then go a few blocks, then right one block. Instead, my bamboozled Nav system wanted me to keep going straight on the service road 5 lights, make a left across the highway, make another left, then back down the service road on the other side of the highway 5 lights and make a right onto the street I could have turned left on to begin with (and did actually) ...... FOR WHAT?? That's just 1 example of many. Yesterday, Acura of Ramsey tells me this is all because I still have the original Nav DVD, ver 3.30F. I find that hard to believe as these addresses and streets in question have been where they are for many years.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did u take da dvd for navi out and get something on it by any chance? This happened to me and it was messed up for a bit but it went back to normal.
you should try to get it replaced for free. If not its shouldnt be more then 75.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by xtremmeballer
Did u take da dvd for navi out and get something on it by any chance? This happened to me and it was messed up for a bit but it went back to normal.
you should try to get it replaced for free. If not its shouldnt be more then 75.
The only time I ever removed it in 4 years was just the other day to see what version it was, but I'll take it out again and try cleaning it. I'd buy the update every year or 2 if they sold it at a reasonable price. $185 + tax and shipping is greedy and a rip-off.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have rear tint? Certain tints could effect the Navi's performance. Or you just need an upgrade like I do (2004). I know I do because mine is useless now. It gets me lost more then it actually helps me lol.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

If the GPS is showing your position accurately it will certainly not be a mechanical or disc related problem.

It is possible that your routing preference (shortest, fastest, avoid highways, easiest route) might be the cause of the circuitous routing. I live the NY/NJ Metro area and often wonder why my software ('07) proposes some routes.

Also, since it is older software it might be erroneously configured with assumptions that service roads are one-way - and indeed many of them are. I am thinking of the service roads along the Belt, the LIE, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
maybe you could just trade the car in for a non navi model?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by JerZDevil
Do you have rear tint? Certain tints could effect the Navi's performance. Or you just need an upgrade like I do (2004). I know I do because mine is useless now. It gets me lost more then it actually helps me lol.
No tint
Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by whashburn
If the GPS is showing your position accurately it will certainly not be a mechanical or disc related problem.

It is possible that your routing preference (shortest, fastest, avoid highways, easiest route) might be the cause of the circuitous routing. I live the NY/NJ Metro area and often wonder why my software ('07) proposes some routes.

Also, since it is older software it might be erroneously configured with assumptions that service roads are one-way - and indeed many of them are. I am thinking of the service roads along the Belt, the LIE, etc.

Hope this helps.
Nope. Yeaterday it had me go a block further than I needed to go, make a right, then another right, then a left.......where I could have made just a single right to begin with in a suburban neighborhood.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by whashburn

Hope this helps.
GPS shows accurate position. My routing preference is usually set to [Direct Route]. Since you live in the NY/NJ area, here's an example from a few months ago:

I was travelling from Franklin Lakes, NJ (Western Bergen County) to Brooklyn. Got on 208 which turns into Rt 4 towards the George Washington Bridge. Miss Navagator told me to get onto Rt 17 North off of Rt 4. Tell me, what's wrong with that picture???
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

Wow! You drove past where I live! That is really very strange.

If your position on the map is accurate when ever you receive routing directions then I can only surmise that the routing algorithm is damaged. Does anyone else following this know if the routing tables are reloaded everytime you start the car? If the DVD were damaged the head unit would probably never be able to read the DVD.

One other question - when you initially enter a (or select a previous) destination have you ever clicked on the route list to see if the system always intented you to take these screwy routes, or it the system dynamically recalculates the routes. If you follow the originally planned route, and the system changes its mind I would suspect that the GPS signal gets briefly corrupted. This might happen very quickly and you might not notice this if you have your eyes on the road.

Have you considered calling Acura Client Services 800 382 2238. When I have called this number I have asked (very politely) if I can talk to an expert if if she/he is not available can they call me back. I have found them to be very cooperative.

Hope you do find the solution, and when you do please share it with us.

I'm really sorry you are having the problem.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by DMZ
GPS shows accurate position. My routing preference is usually set to [Direct Route]. Since you live in the NY/NJ area, here's an example from a few months ago:

I was travelling from Franklin Lakes, NJ (Western Bergen County) to Brooklyn. Got on 208 which turns into Rt 4 towards the George Washington Bridge. Miss Navagator told me to get onto Rt 17 North off of Rt 4. Tell me, what's wrong with that picture???

Miss navagator lol
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by clavodulce16
Miss navagator lol
That was being kind. In earlier threads/posts I refered to her as the Bitch In The Dash, and told it like it really is. Or should it have been 'Ms' to make it modern day politically correct. Orrrrr should I have said 'Mrs' as she's married to the bastard (Male voice) in there.