Navi stops working/freezes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Navi stops working/freezes

My navi stops working for no reason every so often. More so when it's hot outside. The radio and a/c controls will work, but everything related to the navi still stop working. The screen will stay frozen. After the cars been off and everything's cooled off, it'll start working fine again.

Any ideas what could be the issue? I suspect that the navi unit in the trunk is going back. It almost never happens when it's cool out. It happens almost everyday during my drive home after about 30 minutes right now.

Here's a video.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Start with cleaning the Navi lens and disc-- see https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...errors-873489/.

If the Navi DVD is scored, you'll need to get the drive pulled and repaired by Alpine for $358.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am having the same exact issue. it only happens when its about 80deg or above. the radio works fine but as soon as i switch to xm the radio freezes.. i have a usa-spec and suspect that is the issue. do you have any other devices connected to your radio?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
I actually just went through not one but TWO navi repairs for my 2004 TL, so I feel I can give some insight.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but in my mind it could be one of two things: something related to the navi SCREEN, or a memory issue with the navi computer in your trunk.

Theory 1: the screen.

This seems to make the most sense, since it seems like the screen is just unresponsive but the navigation system itself is not rebooting (when it does, the screen would go black and back to the "Acura Navigation System" logo and warning screen). If some component of the screen assembly is overheating, that would certainly prevent it from registering touch inputs until it cools down. That's not normal, as I have 100 degree + temps here in Texas on a daily basis and my navi doesn't give me those kinds of issues.

Theory 2: a memory (RAM) problem with the navigation unit in the trunk.

It's clearly not an issue with the disc, the disc reader or the power control board (PCB), because any of those issues almost always causes a boot loop where the entire screen will go black as the unit gets stuck in a boot loop. I just think of it like a regular computer that freezes like that, where the system is running out of memory and stops responding until memory is freed up. If some of your memory in the unit are fried or overly sensitive to heat, I could see the system freaking out and not knowing how to process anything until things cool down and the malfunctioning memory is able to contribute to read/write operations for the navigation computer.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud here, but hopefully it's a starting point. I would certainly call Alpine directly and ask them about it since they can give you some guidance over the phone, or if you need to send it in to get it repaired, they can give you instructions on how to do that as well.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My navi has been acting up the past few months. I notice it gives me a disc read error after driving for some time and suddenly when i turn, boom... there goes the error on screen. Not sure what gives.

I tried cleaning the lens (pulled out the unit from trunk, opened up, wiped lens and everything around it that had dust/dirt build up) and disc is fine..

07 type S btw, so lens is a lot easier to get to.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of those units in my trunk wired into the navi unit for my backup cam and dvd player. I forget what it's called.

I really think it's the trunk unit that's overheating and causing the lock up. The navi screen will still show guidance normally if I had left it on the nav screen versus the audio screen.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Take out the navi dvd and drive as you would. If issue comes back you know its the display unit. At that point it would be hard to diagnose unless you're comfortable in taking the unit apart.