Navi doesn't know my address

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi doesn't know my address

So I just got my TL a few days ago and am in the process of entering all the data. While parked in my driveway, I went to put in the Home Address. For some odd reason, it didn't recognize my street name (complex is 8 years old). I then went back to try to enter in the city name. It didn't recognize that either. I live in Schaumburg, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago). Now Schaumburg has about 75K+ people and is a very large suburb. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

I then went for a drive and the street name on the bottom of the screen was my actual street name (the same one that wouldn't show up when I tried to enter it). I then selected that as my Home Address and it came up with Schaumburg, IL.

What gives? Why did it act as though my street or city was non-existant, but in reality it has it in the database?

Any clues here?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
If you move the Navi cursor to where your house is and click it, what infomation do you get on the screen?

Maybe the Navi DVD fails to provide the enough streets/addresses information nearby your neighborhoods.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm Baaack!

I had the same issue, and played with the settings, wish I could remember the exact button/location, but there's a choice to limit addresses to digitized roads (or something like that). I turned that off and viola .. my neighborhood showed up just fine. Take a look at your set-up, and I'll try and remember to take a look tonight.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Racer

Well, you guys motivated me to go out and figure it out. I am embarassed to admit it, but... on the screen where you enter your home address, it says home state: *pick a state* in the top right corner. Mine was set as AL. Since I live in Illinois and not Alabama, it wasn't finding my street address or town.

All is good now!

Thank you...again!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm Baaack!

nice ... nothing better than finding the answer yourself ... by the way, what I was talking about is on page 4 of the setup screen, turn "Unverified Routing" to "on".
Old 04-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Instructor

We have navi in our honda, there are several cases like this.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It doesn't make all that much sense to me why the state that you are currently in doesn't show as the default when you go to enter an address. I've ran into this problem before too.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I found that it maintains the last state used. For me, that's fairly useful, since I cross into DC and Maryland all the time.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
My Navi knows my address all right!

When I'm parked directly in front and I hit [Go Home], that propondering female voice responds with:

"MAKE U-TURN, DESTINATION IS ON THE LEFT"

Old 04-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Navi seems to believe you're dozens of feet ahead of your "address"...

Originally Posted by DMZ
My Navi knows my address all right!

When I'm parked directly in front and I hit [Go Home], that propondering female voice responds with:

"MAKE U-TURN, DESTINATION IS ON THE LEFT"

This is so interesting...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by carguyrob
Well, you guys motivated me to go out and figure it out. I am embarassed to admit it, but... on the screen where you enter your home address, it says home state: *pick a state* in the top right corner. Mine was set as AL. Since I live in Illinois and not Alabama, it wasn't finding my street address or town.

All is good now!

Thank you...again!
Excellent... contente to know you got it right...
Old 04-22-2005, 05:28 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I love living near the coast of CA (Bay Area) only because I won't be crossing state lines too often..
Old 04-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by TLTrance
I won't be crossing state lines too often..
I won't either .. at least until my parole is up!! :cop: :dog:
Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They really need to make these things call you a complete idiot. It would help with the bonding

What are you on parole for?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Racer

Most security experts advise not to program your exact home address into your NAVI. If your car is stolen, the thieves can hit the home button to find where you live and use Homelink to open your garage and steal your stuff. Insult on top of insult.

You should be familiar with your own neighborhood. Set your "HOME" to an intersection several blocks away so that in the unfortunate event something like that happens, the thief can push the Homelink button and can't see your garage door opening and closing (assuming your house is in range).
Old 04-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think too many thieves are stupid enough to come back, but I could be wrong. I would also reprogram my garage if they stole the car. ALthough if you are in a bad neighborhood that makes sense.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Regarding the home address, the security concern is why it lets you program a PIN--if you do so, it won't respond to "Go Home" until you say or enter your PIN.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Brokedoc
Most security experts advise not to program your exact home address into your NAVI. If your car is stolen, the thieves can hit the home button to find where you live and use Homelink to open your garage and steal your stuff. Insult on top of insult.
Sure - cause a thief who can figure out your navi certainly won't find your vehicle registration card or any of the other things in your car that has your address on it....
Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Advanced

tips for programming home address

Here is a tip to program your home address. If your address is not in the database, just park in your driveway and select "go home"

Then select "edit address" and choose the first buttom on the screen "current location". It will register your home by GPS rather than address.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Instructor

You should be familiar with your own neighborhood. Set your "HOME" to an intersection several blocks away so that in the unfortunate event something like that happens, the thief can push the Homelink button and can't see your garage door opening and closing (assuming your house is in range).
If the theif dosen't have Key 1, Key 2, or the Valet Key, he will not be able to use the navigation or radio. If the car is hotwired or a fake key is put in (one without a chip in it), the Navigation and Radio will get its power cut. Once this happens, you will need the raidio and navigation codes to get them working again. This happens, so if your car is taken to a chop shop, the radio and naigation will be useless for them.
Dealer explained it. We picked up our new RRP parchment interior, auto w/navi on Wednesday night.
In the process of figuring out how the navi works.

Another thing, the navi is off on our adress too. When we turn into our neighborhood it is off the road, plus it doesn't show our house exactly, it shows one earlier, about 3-5 houses down.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

To me, I won't set my home address there. Instead, I set the address 2 blocks away. Being careful won't hurt... IMO.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

That seems like good advice, even if it's just to keep valet parking attendents from looking up your address. I don't use the PIN as it seems like a hassle. Regarding address on registration, etc., I blanked mine out on the advice of a cop buddy of mine. He said it was acceptable to carry a photocopy of my registration with the address blanked out. As long as my name is visible, I am fine. That is the only thing in my car with my name on it and it is only my name.