NAV went into limbo yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007 | 02:39 PM
Instructor

NAV went into limbo yesterday!

I was driving on a very narrow, winding road yesterday through trees and hills (north side of Mt. Tamalpais in CA, heading towards Fairfax and then San Rafael). I was using the nav to get me there, since this was a new route for me. About half-way to the destination, the nav system started blinking 'Recalculating...' at the top. This continued for a good 30 minutes or so on the route. But the map did keep updating to reflect my position. As I approached the town, I tried to issue a voice command, but pulling on the voice command button did not give the familiar 'beep'. Pressing 'menu' did not respond with the menu. I kept driving, and then pressed 'audio', screen changed to audio, and audio (XM radio) came on, so then I pressed 'map', and it returned to map display - but still showed 'recalculating'. Still no voice command option.

I finally pulled over, and 'rebooted', since I needed guidance through the town - turned off the car and restarted. All was well after this.

Weather was clear, sunny and hot - no clouds.

I wonder if, driving through the trees, the system kept gaining/losing GPS, and got tied up dealing with this.

'07 TL, 2,000 miles.

Anyone seen this? Is there a better way to reset? I have read (today) that I can do this: press/hold map/guide; press/hold Menu and Cancel for 3 seconds - to get to a diagnostic screen. I don't know if I would have been able to do that in my case.
Old 09-03-2007 | 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

if it says recalculating, then its doing something and cannot process the voice commands. I would check the navi disk for scratches or dirt. THe navi system does have its moments, but if there are alot of trees and stuff, it can mess with the navi and cause it to malfunction. I would just restart the car, much faster and easier than the 3 buttons.
Old 09-03-2007 | 08:43 PM
Pro

It happened once to me when I was driving in some unfamiliar place which looked like the boondocks. I pulled over, stopped the car, restarted the engine, and everything went back to normal. I was concerned that I was turning off the car, I might crash the nav hard drive. That didn't happen, thank God.
Old 09-04-2007 | 04:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kenny5
It happened once to me when I was driving in some unfamiliar place which looked like the boondocks. I pulled over, stopped the car, restarted the engine, and everything went back to normal. I was concerned that I was turning off the car, I might crash the nav hard drive. That didn't happen, thank God.
Nav doesn't have a hard drive.

Check out how confused it got while I was driving in the Hoover Dam area, though.