Nav Update Disc Almost Out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wyman
Does the 2007 TL use the v3.6 DVD or does it use the next gen V4.0 DVD?
The 2007 TL uses V4.55 ... Its on the Navi Reroder site...
Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wyzard, the state is already set to the correct one I am in. The nav system just ignores it though and shows locations that are far far away.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by mcafee_jones
Wyzard, the state is already set to the correct one I am in. The nav system just ignores it though and shows locations that are far far away.
The problem is the the POI database is just dumped from phone book data and there is no editing done at all. You end up with different spellings and categories for the same thing. I sat in front of a Walmart that has been there for more than ten years for about 15 minutes before I could find it in the nav system. It was spelled Waltmart if I remember correctly and listed under auto service not shopping. If the company that makes the discs would have someone go through and edit the entries so the "Major" POI's are spelled the same and in the same category it would be a HUGE improvement.

I mean seriously, when you have Taco Bell in the separate categories of Restaurant and Eating Places. WTF??
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
I LOVE MY TL

any of you guys selling the 3.5 version when u get the updated 3.6?if yes then how much are you selling it for.i might want to grab it off somebody hand if possible cheap then the 3.6..im in need of a navi disk
Old 10-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Please conduct any type of sales (For Sale or Want to Buy) in The Black Market: Private Sales & Trades.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:51 AM
I LOVE MY TL

^^ sorry
Old 10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It said update coverage "Entire state" for my state...i wonder if my developement is included. I would of thought my development was already included in the navi disc when i bought my 05 TL last June...since my develpment was complete in 1999, but it doesnt.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcombe
The problem is the the POI database is just dumped from phone book data and there is no editing done at all. You end up with different spellings and categories for the same thing. I sat in front of a Walmart that has been there for more than ten years for about 15 minutes before I could find it in the nav system. It was spelled Waltmart if I remember correctly and listed under auto service not shopping. If the company that makes the discs would have someone go through and edit the entries so the "Major" POI's are spelled the same and in the same category it would be a HUGE improvement.

I mean seriously, when you have Taco Bell in the separate categories of Restaurant and Eating Places. WTF??
The NAVI system is faulty in my opinion. I started a whole thread about this a while ago. Lets collaborate in one spot and hopefully we can get them to recall the faulty system.
Mcdonalds 2300 Miles Away

Maybe I should give them a faulty check when I pay for the faulty NAVI system. How is that?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brooklynite
The NAVI system is faulty in my opinion. I started a whole thread about this a while ago. Lets collaborate in one spot and hopefully we can get them to recall the faulty system.
Mcdonalds 2300 Miles Away

Maybe I should give them a faulty check when I pay for the faulty NAVI system. How is that?
Good luck dude. The nav system is not faulty. Yes the POI lookup function is annoying at times and could definitely be improved. But it DOES work and you CAN find what you're looking for (in your immediate area) with a little effort. Sometimes you have to search for it a couple of different ways before you find it, but that's how it goes. I've ran into similar problems as you but I've always eventually found what I wanted.

Acura won't care what you think of their system. Despite its faults, they have been selling this system for years and it is rated one of the best available today. The specific problems you raised are really the fault of Navteq (who provides the data), not Acura, and almost every GPS uses Navteq data so all systems will have the same issue, whether it's Acura, Lexus, Nissan, whatever.

Unfortunately, all nav systems still have a ways to go before they are "perfect". In the meantime, my suggestion is to learn to work around the shortcomings. If you do, you will find the nav is incredibly useful, if a bit imperfect.