Nav system inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav system inaccurate

I have an 04 TL with/Navi. I am used to a Lexus Navi and Magellan Roadmate Navi (I'm really directionally challenged!). My TL navi has some real shortcomings:
1. No audible signal (like ding ding) when approaching a turn or exit. This becomes a problem when you have 2 exits in a row that are close to each other.
2. The visual indicator - the little square box - is not accurate. It is very hard to differentiate when streets/exits are close to each other.
I'm taking the car to the dealer to have it checked but was wondering if anyone else is having similiar issues? The tracking of the car position is accurate though (e.g. sign says exit 1 mile, Navi agrees that it's 1 mile until exit).
Thanks.
David
Old 07-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what? There is nothing you can do at this point. I believe the majority of people who have Nav is happy with it.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by davidk
I have an 04 TL with/Navi. I am used to a Lexus Navi and Magellan Roadmate Navi (I'm really directionally challenged!). My TL navi has some real shortcomings:
1. No audible signal (like ding ding) when approaching a turn or exit. This becomes a problem when you have 2 exits in a row that are close to each other.
2. The visual indicator - the little square box - is not accurate. It is very hard to differentiate when streets/exits are close to each other.
I'm taking the car to the dealer to have it checked but was wondering if anyone else is having similiar issues? The tracking of the car position is accurate though (e.g. sign says exit 1 mile, Navi agrees that it's 1 mile until exit).
Thanks.
David
David,

1. Do you have the voice turned-on? My Navi tells me: "Take your NEXT Left (or Right) Turn".
Or, when 2 streets are close, it may say: "Take your SECOND Left (or Right) Turn"

2. Sometimes, on a major highway, my Navi will tell me the exact exit number.
Also, do you see a little progress bar counting down as you approach the desired exit? The progress bar is comprised of little yellow status lights which work there way up the visual indicator counting the feet until the desired exit/turn.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Cruisin'

other systems allow you to recalibrate the gsp if it's not accurate.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
David, are you setting the route? Does it plot the route for you? If not you might need to set the destination first. I hope you are doing it.

Also check for if in setup you've turned off the voice commands. I've been using Navi for last 7 months and have not came across any of the problems you are mentioning. Only once from the parking structure it gave me wrong directions but set it right as soon as I came out of the structure. See calibrating your position from the setup. It might help too.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by yano_jl
David,

1. Do you have the voice turned-on? My Navi tells me: "Take your NEXT Left (or Right) Turn".
Or, when 2 streets are close, it may say: "Take your SECOND Left (or Right) Turn"

2. Sometimes, on a major highway, my Navi will tell me the exact exit number.
Also, do you see a little progress bar counting down as you approach the desired exit? The progress bar is comprised of little yellow status lights which work there way up the visual indicator counting the feet until the desired exit/turn.

Hope this helps.
I do have the voice turned on. You're correct though - the progress bar is there and I'll start to pay more attention to it. A nice upgrade in the software for the next version would be some type of audible as you approach the exit. I didn't realize how useful it was on the other gps systems I had until I didn't have it. Safer too - listen for the tone instead of looking at the screen while exiting.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Disproportionate Member

I do have the voice turned on. You're correct though - the progress bar is there and I'll start to pay more attention to it. A nice upgrade in the software for the next version would be some type of audible as you approach the exit. I didn't realize how useful it was on the other gps systems I had until I didn't have it. Safer too - listen for the tone instead of looking at the screen while exiting.
There should be a voice indicator telling you when the exit is forthcoming. Are you not seeing this?
Old 07-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Aquineas
There should be a voice indicator telling you when the exit is forthcoming. Are you not seeing this?
No I'm not. Is this a setup option other than voice on?
Old 07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey David,
Id have your unit checked at the Acura dealer. My unit is so much of a 'back seat driver ' it is irritating sometimes. It tells me the exit/turn is coming up within a mile, then within 100 ft, then when I'm at the turn. If I pass the turn it recalculates and tells me to make a U turn if possible. You can change the voice to male or female also. Hope the Acura dealer can help you.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Banned

No I'm not. Is this a setup option other than voice on?
There is a volume/off function under Setup-tab 1. Under Setup-tab 3 there is an on/off for voice feedback. Check both of those.

The voice alerts start at a 1/2 mile from the next turn/destination.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
Hey David,
Id have your unit checked at the Acura dealer. My unit is so much of a 'back seat driver ' it is irritating sometimes. It tells me the exit/turn is coming up within a mile, then within 100 ft, then when I'm at the turn. If I pass the turn it recalculates and tells me to make a U turn if possible. You can change the voice to male or female also. Hope the Acura dealer can help you.
I have 2000TL-Navi and experienced the very same problem right after I installed latest version of Navi DVD version 2.11c). During my last trip that totaled over 2000 miles, I was so frustrated with late voice prompt, that upon returning I wrote a letter to Acura requesting some kind of software patch to rectify this problem. It has been a couple of weeks since I wrote it. So far I received no respond.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
ABP TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does any one has this problem with the navi
i put down my home address, but when i really arrive at my house the navi told me that actually is 800ft away from the destnation...
it's this fixable??
or just some problem with the navi!!