Nav Destination too far???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nav Destination too far???

I have a 07 TL w/Nav that I picked up a few months ago. I recently made my first trip using the Nav that wasnt local. I live on Long Island, and went to Atlantic City. It is only about 175 miles away. When I tried entering the destination from my home, the Nav would start calculating then show a message saying that the operation could not be completed to try again from another location. I kept trying as I drove closer getting the same message until I got about 40 miles into the trip. When I returned, it did the same thing when I was leaving Atl City until once again I was about 30-40 miles into the trip, then it worked fine.

Is this normal behavior for the TL Nav? I've used many aftermarket systems without any issue like this, and the Nav in my old 2002 TL never did this either. I cant believe that such an advanced system would be distance limited, though I guess I could be wrong.

I am using the original disc which I think is Version 4.62. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 07 TL-S and have the same problem. I was trying to find Ikea and instead of giving me directions to the one 30 miles away I get the one that is 1000 miles away. Not sure why it is doing this. I think the nav is pretty useless on the TL anyway.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Jack, the NAV System works fine-you just need to go into the "Categories" section of the navigation system. Then press the "Shopping" button and type in IKEA.

For example, you just can't enter "McDonalds". You've got to go into Categories and press restaurants/dining first.

Craig, for your problem, you might have needed to change states first (from NY to NJ). That probably would have taken care of that. Obviously, with not seeing how you entered your destination, I can't exactly figure out what happened, but make sure you've got the correct state in first-then enter your address.

By the way-welcome to the site!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Jack, the NAV System works fine-you just need to go into the "Categories" section of the navigation system. Then press the "Shopping" button and type in IKEA.

For example, you just can't enter "McDonalds". You've got to go into Categories and press restaurants/dining first.

Craig, for your problem, you might have needed to change states first (from NY to NJ). That probably would have taken care of that. Obviously, with not seeing how you entered your destination, I can't exactly figure out what happened, but make sure you've got the correct state in first-then enter your address.

By the way-welcome to the site!
Thanks for the reply (and the Welcome!) Steven.

I did change the state first. I actually tried it two ways, inputting by address, where it asks you for the state first and by using a POI (the hotel name). It is repeatable for every address I try, and seems to affect any distance over 100 miles away...almost like the unit is timing out due to a slow response time trying to calculate possible routes from the DVD, like a PC browser trying to get to a slow internet site. I guess I'll contact the dealer as this does not seem to be normal. Thank you for your help.

Jack, I had the same problem, and I did it exactly the same way Steven described it to you.

While in NJ, I was looking for a Denny's (yes, yes, I know...wonderful cuisine but the tables were unkind on this trip ) and the first 2 Denny's it found were in the State of Washington, 3000 miles away.

Which just made a question pop into my head...is there a setting somewhere to program in your default location? I have this in my Corvette, you pick the region you are in (basically a multi state grouping) to make searches and routes quicker....but I dont remember seeing this with the TL...maybe that's why my system is messing up.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Craigster05
...is there a setting somewhere to program in your default location? I have this in my Corvette, you pick the region you are in (basically a multi state grouping) to make searches and routes quicker....but I dont remember seeing this with the TL...
Select a new destination by "Address"-- does it show your state in the upper right hand corner of the Navi screen? If not, change the state to your state. Your state will be the default thereafter.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

After sitting and playing with the Nav for a hour or so, strangely enough, the time out only happens when I enter in an address in NJ from NY, and Vice versa! It works fine every other state I enter in....I guess it doesn't want me gambling

Leads me to believe a scratch or bad section on the DVD, the dealer has a new one for me when I bring it in, so I'll see if that fixes it. Thanks for all your help.