yet another dvd audio thread (mac users look here)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question yet another dvd audio thread (mac users look here)

i kno this topic has been beaten to death...
i recently purchased a macbook pro (which has a dvd burner). i bought some phillips dvd-r (4.7 gb, 120 min, 1-16x speed). i am planning to use dvd audio in order to have more songs on each disc. so my questions are:
1. what else do i need in order to create a dvd audio disc (eg what software do i need, or does a mac already have all the software i need)?
2. once i have everything i need to create a dvd audio disc, how do i create that disc so that it will play in my tl (btw the tl is non-nav)?
3. how many songs would i be able to hold on each disc (i kno it depends on how long the songs are, i am just looking for a rough estimation)?

thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
now with four rings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first of all, excellent choice on the macbook pro...i have a powermac g4 (4 years old now and still beats most PC's) and a 17" powerbook g4, which i have thought about selling for a 17" macbook pro, but haven't decided yet...

anyways, i've posted this twice i think, but here are the 4 steps i use to burn a true dvd-audio disc:

on mac os x:
1. pick mp3's to use on disc and convert to wav format using switch

on windows:

2. add wav files to dvd audio solo

3. write iso image file to hard drive

on mac os x:

4. burn iso file using toast to dvd-r disc (dvd+r won't work)

i hope you have a pc sitting around to create the .iso image using dvd-audio solo...it's a great program that only runs on windows...or, now that you have a new mac with the intel processor, you could use apple's bootcamp program and run windows, then run dvd-audio solo through there and get the same result...

i hope this helps you out and if you have any mac questions or anything, let me know...
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro

ok, here is my situation, i have the songs in itunes on the mac. the mac is about a month old and this is my first mac. i have almost no experience on mac computers, im figuring it out as i go along. i do have a desktop pc that, but it does not have a dvd burner. i dont really have an efficient way to transfer information from my pc to my macbook (that i know of).

the 17" macbook pro is what i got and i highly recommend it.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
now with four rings

i meant to tell you in my first post that you can get at least 100 songs on a dvd-audio disc...i put 80 on my first one and stopped there because i was anxious to play it in the TL...but i still had well over a gig of space left...

i would have had the same problem as you, transferring such a big file from pc to mac, but i've got a usb 2.0 60 gig pocket drive that i use...comes in very handy...all i do is write the iso image to my pc desktop and transfer that iso image to my pocket drive, then put it on my mac and burn the iso with Toast...if you don't have a drive like this or don't want to buy one, i would recommend installing windows on your mac and running it with bootcamp or parrallels...then you can just drag it from windows to your mac desktop...os x doesn't really write iso images...you would need to do that thru the Terminal, but i didn't wanna mess with that...i prefer GUI over command-line anyday...

like i said, if there's anything you wanna know about your mac, let me know...i'm still learning new shit, but i know a great deal about it...
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro

ok, i got the songs onto my pc. how do i change the files mpeg to .wav? and once i convert them, how do i make an iso?

what would be easier/cost effective: buying a pocket drive to transfer the files? or buying a dvd burner for my pc? keep in mind that my pc is 3 years old but is still pretty good because its custom built. another thing to keep in mind is that the majority of my songs are on my pc.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 AM
now with four rings

to convert your mp3's to wav on mac os x, i use a program called switch...it has a batch converter in it, so you can load as many mp3's at once to convert and sit back while it works...it sounds like your pc is still in good shape, so i would just buy the $40 dvd burner (i only use pioneer dvd burners and have had flawless success with them)...since you'll be burning your music on your pc, might as well convert your songs on there too...you can use besweet to do that...it also has a batch converter and is pretty reliable...then all you'd have to do is import your wav files into dvd-audio solo and at the right there are a few tabs...off the top of my head i can't remember, but there's 4 of them...the far right one (i think it says disc or write) is the one where you choose to write the iso image file to your hard drive...after it creates that image, burn the iso using nero or something and you're good to go...