My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ir Sensor

Its kinda pricy but I found this unit for sale. Would it work?

EXPENSIVE IR SENSOR
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, that is an expensive sensor. It costs more than the Mediagate enclosure! The plug looks correct though.

I've tried searching the site for a better IR sensor, but they have so many items that are infrared. I think someone should try to call them and ask.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Advanced

Another IR Sensor

I found a little bit cheaper one at $56 as opposed to the $100 one. Its the IR-2105 model found on this product page. I think its the second one down.

I will keep looking and post my results. Hopefully I can find one cheap enough that somebody will try it. I have the iLink right now but been having some annoying probs with it, sound issues. I would order a soundgate if I knew I could get an external IR sensor for it. Ive found a couple cheaper ones that look like they just need the mini stereo plug put on the end. However I dont know what wire goes to what pin on the plug. Anybody know if there is a standard wire color code for those type?

Back to searching.......
Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure this Alpine KRE-500E will work but it won't be available until the end of next month. A little pricey but these external remote eyes are difficult to come by.
The total will probably be around $31.00 after shipping. You can preorder yours if you really want one. I have heard of Crutchfield before.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 AM
Advanced

Nice find!!!

It says on the specifications page of the crutchfield site that it has a 2.5mm plug and not a 3.5mm. It could be a typo though. Has anyone even verified it as a 3.5mm stereo plug yet? Datmrman said something about calling them for specs???
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Safety Car

Nice find Crook! That one looks very promising.

Looks like its 3.5 mm stereo plug, but its always good to verify.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Instructor

Good eye hoTLanta, I didn't even notice the specs. It does say "sub-mini plug".
If it turns out to be a 2.5mm plug then you'll need one of these adapters.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crook
Good eye hoTLanta, I didn't even notice the specs. It does say "sub-mini plug".
If it turns out to be a 2.5mm plug then you'll need one of these adapters.

I decided to look up the Alpine unit that this IR sensor plugs into and it does in fact say 2.5mm. With those adapters you found that shouldnt be a problem though.

I just ordered my Avox Jukebox and 120GB hard drive, stupid NewEgg credit card. Everytime I pay it off I have to go and get something new. Sounds like me and Datmrman need to go to tech-junkie rehab.

Anyhow, my stuff should show up in 2 days. Newegg has awesome shipping, its almost instant gratification!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That $35 one I got you keeps sounding better and better huh Chris?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
Sounds like me and Datmrman need to go to tech-junkie rehab.
I don't think you are even close to being a junkie like me. I have a friend that greets me with "so any new toys lately"?

Originally Posted by lembowski
That $35 one I got you keeps sounding better and better huh Chris?
Yea, but $25, or even FREE, would have sounded better. Well, if you didn't locate the IR, I would be more active searching for one. The sensors that people are finding look promising and are not that expensive. I'm just glad I have one to complete my install.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by datmrman
Yea, but $25, or even FREE, would have sounded better. Well, if you didn't locate the IR, I would be more active searching for one. The sensors that people are finding look promising and are not that expensive. I'm just glad I have one to complete my install.
Yeah $25 was nice.......Well the one through crutchfield they found will be close to what you paid after shipping. Just be glad you finished your system. Anyways mine cost me $55 after you figure in the first one I bought that didn't work.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt, allright, I gave in.. i will get the $35 IR Sensor from the PB store. How do I go about getting one? You gonna get one for me and I will pay you? or you can give me the phone number of the store, I can call them and arrange to pick one up?

It is just sucks that the IR sensor cost about 1/3 of the actual AVox unit.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by waacow
Matt, allright, I gave in.. i will get the $35 IR Sensor from the PB store. How do I go about getting one? You gonna get one for me and I will pay you? or you can give me the phone number of the store, I can call them and arrange to pick one up?

It is just sucks that the IR sensor cost about 1/3 of the actual AVox unit.
I gotta work tonight and tomorrow, but I will definately get it Thursday evening to get you one. I think the only reason he was picking them out of the boxes is because I have bought a few things from them and I was a return customer.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:06 PM
You like?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look what I've found:

Myron & Davis IR Sensor for AMT-202, Model AIR-01

For sale here for $11.99:
http://www.anythingwholesaleaz.com/i...PROD&ProdID=32

Looks like this might work! You might want to call to verify its a 3.5" mini stereo plug IR sensor. If it is,

EUREKA!!!

I don't know if anyone actually tried this but instead of contacting anythingwholesalez.com...

I contacted Myron and Davis directly and spoke with Steven in TECH and he confirms that its a mini stereo plug

heres the number to M&D 909.796.3199 if you someone wants to confirm this...

so maybe hopefully we can save some money and get the $12 sensor instead of the $35 one

-Kevin
Old 07-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

Nice! Now someone needs to pick one up somewhere and try it out.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I orderd the one from the wholesale place so I will let you know when i get it.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FADE
I orderd the one from the wholesale place so I will let you know when i get it.
let's pray that it works, b/c the electronics shop i just visisted doesn't have ANY IR receivers.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Advanced

I should be getting my AVOX unit and hard drive today. I hope we can find a usable IR sensor soon!!!! I am sure my iLink sensor would work but if I send the iLink back for the problems I am experiencing with it, the sensor will have to go with it......or will it???
Old 07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Trucki!!

It doesn't hurt to do what I did guys. Just walk into some of your local car audio/video stores and ask if you can purchase one from there car dvd players. Thats what I did, and guess what I heard?.......sure
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Advanced

It doesn't hurt to do what I did guys. Just walk into some of your local car audio/video stores and ask if you can purchase one from there car dvd players. Thats what I did, and guess what I heard?.......sure

In-store Off-the-Shelf car DVD players? Or employee personal car DVD players?

I just have a hard time seeing a retailer open up a sealed complete DVD player box and selling me just the IR sensor........I guess its worth a shot though.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Trucki!!

I just have a hard time seeing a retailer open up a sealed complete DVD player box and selling me just the IR sensor........I guess its worth a shot though.
Thats exactley what they did..........

he said he would just call myron & davis and try to order a few more.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Thats exactley what they did..........

he said he would just call myron & davis and try to order a few more.
I got my AVOX unit and HDD today, had it up and running in the living room with some test media on it in 20 minutes. I must say Im impressed.

Im gonna give your approach a try this weekend lembowski, I hope I am as successful as you were. If I find an IR sensor that works I will keep you guys posted on model/price info.

If I succeed I will be replacing the iLink with the AVOX unit this weekend. Hopefully the rain holds off. Pennsylvania weather relly sucks these days....
Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Thread Necromancer

I am still waiting for the one I ordered from the wholesaler place.

It has been over 100 deg here for all most 2 weeks, so I hope it cools down enough so I do not die doing my install.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

If I succeed I will be replacing the iLink with the AVOX unit this weekend.
hotLanta, did you get the chance to try the iLink's IR sensor with the AVOX? If it works, we'll have another part to search for.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced

hotLanta, did you get the chance to try the iLink's IR sensor with the AVOX? If it works, we'll have another part to search for.
Not yet, if the weather holds out I will be trying it this evening or tomorrow. I will post as soon as I know.

This is killing me because I wanted to install it this weekend. I went to 5 different places today and could not find either of the parts I need. I need a 5volt/2amp adapter. I found one for an XM reciever and I thought the plug was the right one but the center pin is just a little too big on the AVOX unit. I looked at each place I went for the IR reciever as well. The places I struck out in order were Tweeter, Cyber Warehouse, WeeBee Audio and Video, Circuit City, then finally Radio Shack. I had no idea these parts were so hard to come by. After much frustration and $10 in gas I gave up for the day. I think I am going to call Vantec and AL Tech to see if they have any recommendations for the IR sensor. Wish they would have just included one like the iLink.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Trucki!!

Not yet, if the weather holds out I will be trying it this evening or tomorrow. I will post as soon as I know.

This is killing me because I wanted to install it this weekend. I went to 5 different places today and could not find either of the parts I need. I need a 5volt/2amp adapter. I found one for an XM reciever and I thought the plug was the right one but the center pin is just a little too big on the AVOX unit. I looked at each place I went for the IR reciever as well. The places I struck out in order were Tweeter, Cyber Warehouse, WeeBee Audio and Video, Circuit City, then finally Radio Shack. I had no idea these parts were so hard to come by. After much frustration and $10 in gas I gave up for the day. I think I am going to call Vantec and AL Tech to see if they have any recommendations for the IR sensor. Wish they would have just included one like the iLink.
Let me save you a few days of waiting for a response:
Dear Matt,

Our distributor in USA is 'Anyware Computer Accessories'. please contact Anyware & ask where you can buy them.
Sorry for causing you inconvience.

Best Regards,
Yuna

Anyware stated that they have never recieved the car adapters, and the ir remote hasn't been released by the company. They had no recomendations on where to get an ir or the car adapter. They told me that an archos car adapter would work......but it didn't. Your better off getting a small power inverter from radio shack and waiting to iriver gets the h100 car adapters back in stock late september. Your more than welcome to try this power adapter and tell us if it works. I've already bought an adapter and a ir remote that didn't work, so I don't feel like trying anything else out. Oh, I've also emailed both al tech and vantec so I've done my research.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Let me save you a few days of waiting for a response:
Dear Matt,

Our distributor in USA is 'Anyware Computer Accessories'. please contact Anyware & ask where you can buy them.
Sorry for causing you inconvience.

Best Regards,
Yuna

Anyware stated that they have never recieved the car adapters, and the ir remote hasn't been released by the company. They had no recomendations on where to get an ir or the car adapter. They told me that an archos car adapter would work......but it didn't. Your better off getting a small power inverter from radio shack and waiting to iriver gets the h100 car adapters back in stock late september. Your more than welcome to try this power adapter and tell us if it works. I've already bought an adapter and a ir remote that didn't work, so I don't feel like trying anything else out. Oh, I've also emailed both al tech and vantec so I've done my research.
Ok, I just got off the phone with tech support at VantecUSA. I wasnt about to call Korea to try AL Tech customer support though. Anyway, the guy says that they used to have them in(IR Reciever) but sold out and now they are waiting on a new shipment. The bad news is that they have been waiting for almost a month now since they are coming from overseas with no idea when they will get there.

Did anyone try that M&D remote eye?

This is such a PITA. I think I am going to lop off the end of the XM adapter and wire it to the end of the AVOX power supply cord. I will then try the IR remote I got with the iLink tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Oh, BTW, here is the adapter I ended up buying. It meets the right power specifications but the plug is the wrong size. Like I said before I am going to Frankenstien it.

XM Adapter F5X005
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Trucki!!

The bad news is that they have been waiting for almost a month now since they are coming from overseas with no idea when they will get there.
lol.....they told me a month ago when I called about the IR that they haven't produced one yet. The car charger from al tech isn't sold here in the US. It can be found in Australia. Its only $10 shipping, but the best delivery you can get is 20 day or 65 day.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Advanced

I found a LINK to what looks like the one Crook is using.

Can anyone verify this one? Crook?

Im on a posting rampage I gotta find one of these friggin things...

Here is crook's sensor:
Old 07-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Trucki!!

Its the same sensor that datmrman and I have. Crook was using a myron & davis one I think
Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Its the same sensor that datmrman and I have. Crook was using a myron & davis one I think

Let me just verify....this one work for sure correct?

If so its on order
Old 07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Instructor

My sensor came from an old Qwestar In-Dash Car DVD/CD/MP3 Player. Walmart carried them a few years ago and I haven't seen them since.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

For those that are looking for a car adapter, this is the one i bought:
car adapter

I know someone here said it didn't work, but it works fine for me.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

I found a LINK to what looks like the one Crook is using.

Can anyone verify this one? Crook?
Nice find there. From the pictures it looks like it will work. Have you tried calling them on the specs? If it meets the specs for the Mediagate, I say go for it. It looks promising. Ask them about their return policy just in case it doesn't work. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

I just bought an '05 TL last weekend and am really new to all this. I don't even know how to connect a video source to the navigation system. I guess there are standard audio/video inputs to the navi? Would someone mind posting a list of everything needed in order to connect the mediagate and get it up and working. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Thread Necromancer

I ordered from the wholesale place. They took my money and I have yet to get a tracking #. I called them up and the kid told me he was going to check on it and call me back. Well, still no word and no one answering the phone. Stay clear of this fucking place. I went by fries and picked up a power inverter so the power problem is solved. The guys in the car stereo shop gave me an I/O eye they had laying around but it doesn’t work 
Old 07-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

acones_ou, Welcome to the forums!

In order to add video input to the factory navigation system, you will need to purchase a video interface. Many are using Dom's TVandNav2Go module. He is currently running a group buy here.

In order to add audio input(s) to the factory head unit, you will need to purchase an audio interface. There are a few that will allow you to add iPod integration, aux-in, or both. Here is a summary of the popular ones. I would recommend Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX if you don't care for iPod integration, USA Spec PA11-HON2 for iPod + 1 aux input, or PIE X3 for 3 aux inputs.

Those are the two main modules you will need to add to incorporate DVD/PS2/XBOX/Carputer/Mediagate to the factory system.

There are a few threads around with details on each type of install. Just search and browse a bit. Here are mine:
Old 07-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

FADE, sorry to hear about your ordeal with the wholesale place. Hopefully they will update you on the status of your order. I would continue to check back with them during normal business hours. Just be calm and cool. Good luck with it!

Any details on the IR eye that the local stop gave you? What about it thats not working?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Fade, post an image of that I/O eye that you have. Does it look like the Alpine one posted earlier?
I found a remote eye in my junk wire box and it didn't work at firest when I plugged it into the media player. I then experimented and rearranged two of the three wires on the cable and it now works. I think that you might be able to get a remote eye working as long as it has the right mini plug and the wires are arranged correctly.

Quick Reply: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P