MP3 Tag displays "No Information", but not on all tracks

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MP3 Tag displays "No Information", but not on all tracks

I recently purchased an '08 TL-Base non-navi and found this forum to be the best place for all things Acura. Keep up the good work.

Before purchasing the TL, I put one of my compilation MP3 CDs in the stereo and it played fine and displayed the Track info, including the track name.

Now that I own the car, I've noticed that sometimes the display shows, "NO INFORMATION" for the track name, artist and album. The file name displays properly.

This has happened on more than one disc, and it is inconsisent. Some songs display the Track Name and others don't. It's about 50/50, but no pattern that I could find.

The info displays fine on my home computer and on an Alpine deck that I have on a different car. The tag info is on the disc, but it isn't being read properly.

Anyone know what causes this?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I thought I was going crazy...

I haven't looked into this on mine too far, but my 07 TL-S seems to be doing the same thing. I tagged all of my songs but still got it to read the same message. Doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes turning the system off and turning it back on seemed to bring the titles back up again.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
press the DISP button, I think that the radio reads:
title
artist
cd name

so if one of the 3 aren't there, and its set to display that one, then it'll show no info.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
press the DISP button, I think that the radio reads:
title
artist
cd name

so if one of the 3 aren't there, and its set to display that one, then it'll show no info.
The problem is that when I cycle thru DISP, I get "NO INFO..", even though I know the tag info is stored with the file.

On the problem discs, it shows "NO INFO.." for certain tracks. Powering on/off, reinserting the disc, and advancing forward/back, didn't help.

I just tested three older discs and they seem fine. I think it could be the burner, the burn speed or the media. I'll try to burn the same tracks using a slower speed and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Advanced

The burn speed was already set to a reduced 16x, so I tried using a newer CD-R that is rated for 52x. I kept the burn speed at 16x. The result was the same.

The tag info is fine for the first 18 tracks, but comes up "No Information" after that. There are 67 tracks on the disc.

All of the files are in the root directory. I'm wondering if that can cause a problem.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Advanced

I gave it another try using folders for each artist and burning at 8x. Still have the same problem starting with track 19. There goes that theory.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
If your mp3s have been acquired from various sources, or you've used various tools to make them, then they could have varying versions and/or compliance to tagging specs. A program like mp3Tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) should be able to read and re-tag them with up to date and proper tags. A very powerful and therefore potentially dangerous tool. Make sure you understand it before you process a large amount of files at once.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your help, Adobeman. The files have been ripped from my own CDs and I've been using J.River Media Center (JRMC) for years. (Currently using v.12)

With disc in hand, I stopped by the dealer today and duplicated the problem in a different TL, so I eliminated my specific unit as the culprit.

I suspect the tag info is the problem. JRMC writes ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags to each file. There is a lot of data written including cover art.

Do you know which fields the TL is looking for? I can see the field names and the data with JRMC, and I suspect the TL is either looking for a different field name, or it doesn't like something that is there, and defaults to "No Information."
Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by darcar
Thanks for your help, Adobeman. The files have been ripped from my own CDs and I've been using J.River Media Center (JRMC) for years. (Currently using v.12)

With disc in hand, I stopped by the dealer today and duplicated the problem in a different TL, so I eliminated my specific unit as the culprit.

I suspect the tag info is the problem. JRMC writes ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags to each file. There is a lot of data written including cover art.

Do you know which fields the TL is looking for? I can see the field names and the data with JRMC, and I suspect the TL is either looking for a different field name, or it doesn't like something that is there, and defaults to "No Information."
Sorry, my answer was "theoretical". I've got the 05 and there's no mp3 disk capability in it so I don't have any first hand experience. The truth is I never expected (in a million years) that you would say "the files have been ripped from my own CDs". All to often people's files are whatever they've acquired by various means and they "get what they get" with respect to quality of encoding and tagging.

Sounds like old fashioned powers of deduction will be needed. Note those that do and don't work in the car and look for any patterns that develop in the tags. Odd characters and/or combinations of fields.

Also, check the TL manual to see if there is anything in there. My wife's CR-V manual has a pretty decent write up of what will play. BTW I ripped a bunch of stuff with both CDEx and AudioGrabber (using Lame encoder) and they seem to read fine in the CR-V. I know it's not the TL but it it's all Honda behind the skin.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Advanced

I'm grateful for all help, theoretical or otherwise.

Yes, the tracks really are from my own CDs. I'm picky about my library and I knew every track had a tag. So, the "No Information" didn't make sense.

I did some additional testing and concluded that the TL wasn't liking the cover art or the size of the ID tag. I removed the cover art from the tag and burned a new disc. Now, the TL display shows the info properly.

On a side note, Adobeman, I want you to know that I enjoyed using your excellent DVD-GUI program. I made two DVDs from WAV files that worked perfectly fine, and the quality is great.

From a practicality standpoint, I'll stay mainly with MP3 CDs which my '08 can play, plus there's the benefit of displaying the artist/album/track name info.

However, for pre 2007 TLs, your program is the best thing available for making optimal use of the DVD player.