MICU, OBD-II, B-CAN, F-CAN - If you know anything about it, read here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MICU, OBD-II, B-CAN, F-CAN - If you know anything about it, read here!

Prior to skimming through the relevant sections of the Acura TL Service Manual and Acura TL Electric Troubleshooting Manual, I wasn't aware the TL used anything special like the MICU - I didn't know such a thing even existed. It has for quite some time.

I imagine some of you have heard of it, maybe most of you, but it's new to me.

I am in the process of putting a computer in my car; I purchased an 8" Widescreen Touchscreen LCD which fills the area perfectly, just like the stock navi OEM display.

I've seen others here put touchscreens in their car and remount the radio and HVAC displays to where the storage compartments are. I'm trying to avoid doing this, and instead take the data that is displayed on those screens and show it on the computer.

There is a tool available from http://www.teradyne-pocket-tester.co...ts/default.asp that is a Pocket PC that lets you read data from the car, including data from B-DAN and F-CAN. I am imagining their tool connects to the OBD-II port under the driver side dash to get this information.

Has anyone here worked with any OBD-II software? I was hoping there would be something available that I would be able to integrate with. I'm looking for any information I can find on the MICU (multiplex integrated control system)

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
You might want to PM zax123 or anyone that has the electrical service manual. Maybe FAST4DR can help you as well since he's taken apart the navigation a few times.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

As a non-nav owner I'd also like an AutoPC but it's an uphill battle. Most TLs come with Navi so that leaves you and me and few others who'd be interested in this mod. I too don't want to detract from the stock look and feel by moving the HVAC/AUDIO displays to the lower bins.

Let's assume for a moment you have all the HVAC screen and AUDIO screen data, what would you be able to do with it ? The Auto-PC can be easily be used to capture and decode the bus data but displaying it as an overlay might be a chore.

Problem: waiting for the PC to boot to be able to see the onscreen display of the HVAC. Better: have the hvac and audio display as an "always on" overlay directly controlling the LCD so it doesn't matter if the PC is on or off. This is pretty far out there but would be the nicest solution.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been planning this mod for a while now. Moving the LCDs to the bins seems to be the easy way to go.

But, capturing and decoding the bus data is the best way to go. There are many programs out there that display OBD-II, B-DAN and F-CAN. But I'm not sure if the info needed for the HVAC and Audio is in this data capture since these are mostly engine info data.

As soon as I get my CarPC installed it will be something to look into. This could be just another option on the PC touchscreen menu.

As for slow boot times for CarPCs I have my down to under 30 seconds. The PC is still in the testing phase sitting on my desk. I think I can tweak it to boot faster.

Here is a explanation from Honda's website that covers the 03 Honda Accord (probably very similar to the TL's). This is when Honda introduced the multiplex wiring system. I hope this help keep this mod going.

Multiplex Wiring System
As vehicles gain more and more electronic functions, engineers look for ways to manage the many signals that are required to operate them. Between the keyless entry system, security alarm (on Accord EX), auto-off headlights, TCS (traction control system), optional Navigation system and other features, there are dozens of functions on the new Accords that need to be managed.

In a multiplex system, one wire can carry many commands simultaneously, reducing the size, weight and complexity of wiring harnesses. A uniquely "coded" signal is sent through the wire for each desired function. For instance, a single wire might carry operating commands for all four of the Sedan's power windows and door locks. Each of these functions would be coded separately so that only the desired one would occur when a certain button was pressed-despite the fact that every device on the circuit received the same message.

Multiplexing Theory
Imagine a speaker addressing a room full of people, all of whom have different names. Addressing the entire room, the speaker asks Mike to stand up. Everyone heard the same command, but only Mike obeyed because only his identity "matched" that of the command.

The multiplex wiring system in the 2003 Accord Sedan and Coupe actually consists of two networks and significantly streamlines electrical operations by reducing the size and number of wiring harnesses, lowering vehicle weight, reducing component costs, and improving durability and reliability. The Body Control LAN, or B-CAN uses a communication protocol transmitting data at 33.33 Kbps and is used to control body functions including power windows, relay modules, a "Multiple Integrated Control Unit" or MICU, and turn signal assembly switch. The System control LAN, or F-CAN (Fast-CAN) uses a communication protocol of 500 Kbps and is used to control the engine and transmission ECU including functions like Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) for the V6 engine. These systems use the instrument cluster as a connection point or "gateway". The Accord's multiplex system is designed to be the most technologically sophisticated as well as the lightest and most cost efficient in the midsize category.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Has anyone taken a look at the Prius threads. People state they are using CAN but also talk about IEBus. They have really done some great things with the prius!

http://www.likeasecret.com/forum_sim...?topic=8.msg14
Old 12-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by triggle
As a non-nav owner I'd also like an AutoPC but it's an uphill battle. Most TLs come with Navi so that leaves you and me and few others who'd be interested in this mod. I too don't want to detract from the stock look and feel by moving the HVAC/AUDIO displays to the lower bins.

Let's assume for a moment you have all the HVAC screen and AUDIO screen data, what would you be able to do with it ? The Auto-PC can be easily be used to capture and decode the bus data but displaying it as an overlay might be a chore.

Problem: waiting for the PC to boot to be able to see the onscreen display of the HVAC. Better: have the hvac and audio display as an "always on" overlay directly controlling the LCD so it doesn't matter if the PC is on or off. This is pretty far out there but would be the nicest solution.
Triggle,

If I had the data, displaying it on the screen would be little problem. I'm a software engineer and work with writing software everyday. My current plan is to use a system small in size (M-ATX form factor most likely) and run Windows XP Embedded on it, a cut-down version of Windows XP Professional; this will allow the smaller footprint than possible otherwise. On top of that, the computer will remain in a stand-by state, which uses somewhere <25 watts of power; when the car is turned on, the computer can be brought out of stand-by and come on near instantaneously. To support that power drain would require a battery backup I imagine.

Dan
Old 12-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dansmith2004
Triggle,

If I had the data, displaying it on the screen would be little problem. I'm a software engineer and work with writing software everyday. My current plan is to use a system small in size (M-ATX form factor most likely) and run Windows XP Embedded on it, a cut-down version of Windows XP Professional; this will allow the smaller footprint than possible otherwise. On top of that, the computer will remain in a stand-by state, which uses somewhere <25 watts of power; when the car is turned on, the computer can be brought out of stand-by and come on near instantaneously. To support that power drain would require a battery backup I imagine.

Dan
Could you not use "Hibernate" mode? If you could, boot time would not be as fast as "Stand-by", but would be faster than a cold boot. It also wouldn't draw any power.

I am basing this on what my laptop can do.

I have a non-navi also (navi does not work here since Acura doesn't provide maps for Hawaii). I have also been toying with the idea of a CarPC.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

There is a really interesting thread on mp3car. XP on a flash drive with filtration to prevent writes to the flash. Instant off and boots in 20sec. and this is without XPE. Why MS can't do that for a deskop OS is beyond me. Now how about some 100G flash drives for all the media so we can scrap those HDDs.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68452
Old 12-15-2006, 02:01 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by triggle
Now how about some 100G flash drives for all the media so we can scrap those HDDs.

A lot of guys on mp3car that boot from flash memory typically run a HDD for their content (music, videos, games, etc).