Microsoft Zune

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Zune

Anyone have some recomendations on how I could integrate the new Zune into the factory non navi 2006 TL for the best sound quality (non FM Mod)?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-16-2006, 06:41 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Best sound quality will be an aux-in adaptor from one of the many vendors that sell them (PIE, BlitzSafe, USASpec). It would use the CDC channel (external changer) of the head unit and provide you with RCA jacks as inputs for a line-level signal. As far as the cabling goes I guess you will have to see what emerges for use with the Zune. For starters you could always use a 3.5mm stereo to RCA plug cable from the Zune's headphone jack. Perhaps later on manufacturers will make stuff that will let you charge, use direct line level out (assuming the Zune has that) and incorporate other features into the car's controls.

My personal prediction (even though you didn't ask) is the Zune will sputter and fail. Trust me, I like Microsoft. Using and developing bussiness apps with Microsoft products "puts the eats on my table" and I generally think they "get it right" . I do not particularly like Apple, as a company, since they are so arrogant and hostile (all the litigation for using the word "pod"?) to many of their customers and fans. However, the iPod is just going to continue to reign supreme since Apple generally engineers a better product than anyone else. Yes, iTunes for Windows is awful, but the iPod is a "thing of beauty" and already has a huge array of (non-Acura branded) accessories confirmed to work with the TL.

Lastly, search the forum for those other adaptors. It has been beaten to death........
Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adobeman
My personal prediction (even though you didn't ask) is the Zune will sputter and fail.
I don't think anything Bill Gates wants to succeed at will ever fail. They said the same thing about the X Box. Too late, too much, etc, etc. Don't ever underestimate that man's drive and determination.

I also laugh at those who say he does it for the money. I was blown away the other day when I read how many BILLIONS he has given to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for charity to fund all the projects he has for children, etc. A true philanthropist in every sense of the word. He makes it...but he gives it back too.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Sorry, I'm going to play into the hijack for one post.
Originally Posted by CobraGuy
I don't think anything Bill Gates wants to succeed at will ever fail. They said the same thing about the X Box. Too late, too much, etc, etc. Don't ever underestimate that man's drive and determination..
That's probably true but certainly MS has had failures. Windows 98 and Millennium come to mind. WebTV, Ultimate TV, and MSN TV. Tablets, Handheld PCs & Origami. Also just about anything that would compete with an Adobe product is dead on delivery. Don't jump on me. Remember I like MS and Gates.
Originally Posted by CobraGuy
I also laugh at those who say he does it for the money. I was blown away the other day when I read how many BILLIONS he has given to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for charity to fund all the projects he has for children, etc. A true philanthropist in every sense of the word. He makes it...but he gives it back too.
Absolutely. This may in fact be his true legacy. He has a spot at the "table of the greats" with Jerry Lewis (MDA), Danny Thomas's spirit (Jude's) and other personalities that have used their fortunes and/or their notoriety and hard work to raise funds for charities.

And after talking to a co-worker about the Zune (he has been researching it and will be getting one) He still thinks the iPod is better after he "pawed" a Zune at a local store but he has so many wma and wmv files that he still wants the Zune.

Ok, I'm done. Let's get back to helping vanillawafer.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 AM
10th Gear

lol, thanks for the info guys.

Adobeman, I'm a software engineer focusing on .Net my company does a lot of consulting back to microsoft in fact the owner of my company, Rob Howard, was one of the big dogs behind .Net so I too love Microsoft, but I must admit I was hesitant to pick up a zune as I have an iPod, but i can not stand the ipod software (iTunes) and let me tell you I am very very very impressed with the zune software thus far and especially for a rev 1. I think they have a very good chance to put a dent in the marketplace, but don't get me wrong it will take time. After all the iPod has been at it for 5 years and MSFT is just getting started and I think what they have released is very promising. Plus it's so good for consumers to have another big player in this market.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I heard you couldn't use the Zune as an external HD that killed it for me. I also hear that it isn’t compatible with Windows Vista.

I’ll stick with my iPod.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Mansa24
When I heard you couldn't use the Zune as an external HD that killed it for me. I also hear that it isn’t compatible with Windows Vista.

I’ll stick with my iPod.
Yes, you can use it as an external HD, and why do they need to support vista right now when Vista is not even released to the public until next year. Yes, I can get vista now and use it, but I'm waiting to switch OSs as XP is stable and working for me now so no big hurry.

Both of those things you mentioned could easily be allowed through a firmware/software update, so I wouldn't rule anything as concrete.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

This looks promising http://www.imedock.com/ not sure how it's going to hook into various cars, but MSFT has it on their site as a zune accessory to come out in Feb. 07
Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

I see Microsoft is still up to their "copy-cat" ways...

- Windows Vista (Mac OS-10)
- XBox 360 (PS3; by the way, anyone waiting in line at retail stores for this console?)
- Zune (iPod)

The list is much longer and will continue to grow.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vanillawafer
Yes, you can use it as an external HD, and why do they need to support vista right now when Vista is not even released to the public until next year. Yes, I can get vista now and use it, but I'm waiting to switch OSs as XP is stable and working for me now so no big hurry.

Both of those things you mentioned could easily be allowed through a firmware/software update, so I wouldn't rule anything as concrete.

I would hope you can use it as a HD, but CNET says it can't.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Zune_30GB_bl...-32068976.html

Since you have one I will take your word.

Enjoy your Zune.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
I see Microsoft is still up to their "copy-cat" ways...

- XBox 360 (PS3; by the way, anyone waiting in line at retail stores for this console?)
How does this even make sense given the 360 is out a full year ahead of the PS3 and by many accounts matches or is better all around than the PS3 and is cheaper AND available.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brianp6621
How does this even make sense given the 360 is out a full year ahead of the PS3 and by many accounts matches or is better all around than the PS3 and is cheaper AND available.
Not to mention the games for PS3 are mostly EA games that are already released for the 360 and have been for sometime... Now if PS3 dropped in with Gran Turismo 5, GTA, and FF then there would be something to look at. Instead Forza 2 will come out in Feb and GTA next NOV for xbox. I just dont see PS3 bringing anything to the table.

Sorry for the rant and hijack.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Other than Adobeman's first post and vanillawafer's post on iME, all other discussions need to continue in Ramblings.

This is relevant: Microsoft Zune installed into Nav screen w/pics