Mac Mini + Griffin FireWave

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005 | 02:38 PM
Renaissance Man

Mac Mini + Griffin FireWave

Griffin Technologies is coming out with a FireWire breakout box for Macs (like the mini) that don't have built-in surround sound. It has 6-channel line-level output via 3 "stereo" mini-plugs. (http://griffintechnology.com/product...wave/index.php) The Mac OS already supports up to 6.1 surround inherently, so there would be no software issues.

I love the idea of putting a Mac in a car, and now that this is available to maintain the 5.1 output of the stock stereo, along with software specifically designed for this purpose (http://www.i3team.com/). I just want to make sure that I wouldn't lose features that I love in the TL and I wouldn't be wasting my time and money.

My questions are these:
Would using this coupled with a Mac Mini as a carputer with 5.1 output be feasable (time, money, etc)? Would you lose Navi system functionality (voice recognition, BT, navi itself, etc) and have to buy programs and peripherals to replace them?
Old 03-23-2005 | 07:49 PM
Instructor

I think a powerbook and a cassette adapter would be easier, cheaper and would save you a headache dealing with the TL's harness.
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:05 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Good luck piping 5.1 sound into the head unit... You'll have to open up the head unit and tap directly into the DSP somehow. I really don't see it being very feasible. What would be more feasible is tapping into the stock amplifier at the inputs. But then to select the input would involve some relays and switches. Not too much fun...