Low Volume- HON Aux 3.5 mm Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Volume- HON Aux 3.5 mm Adapter

Really weird issue lately, I have a 3.5 input via the HON aux adapter (through the XM input on the back of the deck). Although there's always been a volume drop compared to cds or the radio, it's now gotten to the point where I have it turned all the way up and it's still not very loud.

This is a recent occurrence, I used to be able to get pretty loud volume. I'm not sure what the issue is- at first I thought the amp was going out, but the radio has plenty of volume.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's experienced this issue or has any ideas.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Check the volume on your player.( ipod, Iphone, )
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by THTL
Check the volume on your player.( ipod, Iphone, )
Ha, I probably didn't make a thread without checking that- volume is at max on the phone.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
You might need a line driver. I bought one to install on the aux input of my isimple, but haven't got around to installing it yet.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by geekybiker
You might need a line driver. I bought one to install on the aux input of my isimple, but haven't got around to installing it yet.
Thanks- could you explain what a line driver is? It's just weird that it would suddenly start doing this. I know many people have had amp issues, but I've got plenty of volume on radio.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spene
Thanks- could you explain what a line driver is? It's just weird that it would suddenly start doing this. I know many people have had amp issues, but I've got plenty of volume on radio.
A line driver is a pre-amp designed for low input levels. I'm not sure what caused your sudden drop, but this will get the signal as loud as the HU is able to take. I have the same low signal level and and going to try and use it to level match with the radio.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by geekybiker
A line driver is a pre-amp designed for low input levels. I'm not sure what caused your sudden drop, but this will get the signal as loud as the HU is able to take. I have the same low signal level and and going to try and use it to level match with the radio.
Sorry for the stupidity- where can I get one of these?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Amazon Amazon

Something like this.
The following users liked this post:
Spene (03-16-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey, this may be a moon shot but I thought I should mention it. First if you have already tried another device, then my entire opinion is null, but here goes.

I think it could be your ipod. I had the same issue with my 3gs - the chrome/stainless/metal surround where the aux cable enters the phone broke off. Still, my music played fine, but slowly after a month or two of the headphone wiggling the inners around enough it screwed up. In my case, I could not play music from the phone at all anymore, but I notice when it did play it was sub-par levels, and sometimes would sound like its only getting left, or right speaker output but not both.

Like I said a moon shot but it could help troubleshooting further. Good luck with the line driver if the device is not the case - this would be your best bet.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced

I don't think it's the device, if anyone has any ideas I'm desperate! Volume is fine on radio, I don't know why this connection has gone so quiet. I did have my passenger side mirror knocked off a month ago (replaced) but I'm wondering if that did something with a fuse? On an unrelated note, if anyone knows how to get the mirror to stop popping up in the top position every time I back out that would be great too.

I may look into a line driver, but I'm hoping it's something simple. Is there another way to tap into the system other than the deck?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had the Isimple adapter. IMO all the aux modules that go through the XM antenna port play at a much lower volume level and have much less sound quality due to the compressed signal of XM. There is no way around this issue if you use any aux adapter that goes through the XM port due to it having to pass signal through that internal part of the factory radio.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Spene
I don't think it's the device, if anyone has any ideas I'm desperate! Volume is fine on radio, I don't know why this connection has gone so quiet. I did have my passenger side mirror knocked off a month ago (replaced) but I'm wondering if that did something with a fuse? On an unrelated note, if anyone knows how to get the mirror to stop popping up in the top position every time I back out that would be great too.

I may look into a line driver, but I'm hoping it's something simple. Is there another way to tap into the system other than the deck?
This is probably pretty obvious, but switch the mirror controls to the middle and leave it there. My mirrors are screwed too, sometimes on the freeway the go all the way to the top and just keep popping over and over.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same exact problem! I was going to post a thread about this! lol

But the problem is that I can't use a line driver like the one in the Amazon link. Is there any line driver that is compatible for audio coming through the 30 pin iphone cord? I don't use the 3.5mm audio jack. All my audio comes off the iPhone cord.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by oemplusmore
I've had the Isimple adapter. IMO all the aux modules that go through the XM antenna port play at a much lower volume level and have much less sound quality due to the compressed signal of XM. There is no way around this issue if you use any aux adapter that goes through the XM port due to it having to pass signal through that internal part of the factory radio.
the XM button is just another source button. It is not going thru XM in any way. it certainly has nothing to do with the antenna port?? the signal is not affected by any XM compression or anything like that. It is just a way of having an additional source available with the limited number of buttons on the HU. turn up the volume on the source device if you want more volume. Increase the quality of the source material on your device if you want better quality.
The following users liked this post:
Spene (03-23-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kpc2593

But the problem is that I can't use a line driver like the one in the Amazon link. Is there any line driver that is compatible for audio coming through the 30 pin iphone cord? I don't use the 3.5mm audio jack. All my audio comes off the iPhone cord.
http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Probably need to wire it yourself.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pohljm
the XM button is just another source button. It is not going thru XM in any way. it certainly has nothing to do with the antenna port?? the signal is not affected by any XM compression or anything like that. It is just a way of having an additional source available with the limited number of buttons on the HU. turn up the volume on the source device if you want more volume. Increase the quality of the source material on your device if you want better quality.
My device volume is all the way up and my music is all 320+, like I said this is a recent issue that's developed and I had great sound until a month ago. I'm just trying to figure out what changed, it's definitely something with the car.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kpc2593

Has yours started recently? I really don't know what it could be, I'm considering taking the center console apart again and trying a different cord.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced

I plugged a new y cable into the Hon adapter this weekend, the low volume issue hasn't changed. At this point, I'm assuming the HON adapter has somehow gone bad. I thought I'd seen some way to tap into the system through the amp for a better 3.5 mm input- can anyone point me to some information on that?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
6th Gear

have you tried asking USA Spec support?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zetachi
have you tried asking USA Spec support?
I haven't- any tips on where I could find support?