Looking to do a sound system upgrade for my 04' Acura, opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to do a sound system upgrade for my 04' Acura, opinions please...

What's the best thing to do as far as a system upgrade, the sound is OK in the car as stock but I want some real subs in my car. I also don't want to change the radio out or anything like that, what is the best way to upgrade the system , down to the types of speakers I should pickup and what mods will need to be done. Any help on this subject would be much appreciated because I just picked up the TL and the car is absolutely the shizz. Just need some feedback on what I should look into for a perfect upgrade......thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
"Perfect upgrade" is relative to the listener. Check out the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ and perform a search for suggestions on what have been done.

Infiniti and JL audio components are popular.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Dark TL

I replaced my entire system in my 05 TL with the following equipment...
1) Rockford Fosgate 360.1 processor (so I could keep my factory head unit)
2) Four 6 1/2" Boston Acoustics PROs, two mounted co-ax in the rear and the front ones were disassembled so the tweeters could be mounted in the factory dash locations - slight grill modifications were required.
3) Single JL Audio 13W7 facing forward through the ski hatch in a ported box. I removed the hinged door to allow better bass flow.
4) JL Audio 450/4 amplifier (150 watts X 2 & 75 watts X 2) for the BA PROs.
5) JL Audio 500/1 amplifier (500 watts X 1) for the sub.
I dynamatted the entire interior of the car including the trunk which assists in giving a smoother bass response as well as the added benifi of dampning the road noise a bit.
A false rear wall was mounted on the back of the sub box so when the trunk is opened it just looks like a smaller trunk space. Nothing to see, only to hear! The inside of the car looks absolutely stock with the exeption of black grill cloth covering the front dash tweeter grills. This system is completely stealth!
The only issues I have with this system are that the BA PRO's don't seem to have enough mid bass for my likeing and the factory source unit doesn't have the frequency response that an aftermarket unit does... even with the Fosgate 360.1 in use so some of the lower bass notes are lacking. I'm about to start searching for an aftermarket CD player that will give me all the capabilities of the facory unit (I do not have the nav unit). I don't know if something of that sort exists though.
One suggestion... Do some serious research on installation shops!!! This is not an easy car to work on and can easily turn into a serious cluster f*ck!!! I contacted the local Rockford Fosgate representative for this area (Houston, TX) and he turned me onto a few shops that he felt comfortable with. One of these shops was owned and operated by Will Adcock, 7 time IASCA World Champion so I ended up letting him do the install for me. It was his first 3G install and it took him almost 4 full days to complete the install. He said he'd never do one again but I've since found out that he's done two more... So just be warry!
Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I have two JL 12 W6s in the trunk. One 13W7 or even a 12W7 would give you nearly the same volume levels and not take up as much trunk space. I picked the two 12s because they sound slightly better.

Here's where it gets a little more complicated...

I did infinities for all of the highs. There are a couple reasons for this.

First, the doors and rear fit with no modifications to the car.

The tweeters fit with very little modification and are completely hidden.

They are much better than stock.

They are two ohm and are compatible with the stock amp.

The cons are the Kappa series tweeters in the doors can be a bit "bright". They will make you cringe if the controls aren't adjusted properly. I turned the boost on mine off and the treble to -4. This setting works very well and the highs are still much better than stock.

I'm extremely pleased with the 1021 reference series tweeters in the dash. The center channel is a cheap reference series two way which is much better than stock for music but the navi female voice is a little annoying through it.

In the aftermarket world, the Infinities aren't the best. If I were going to upgrade the amp, I probably would've chosen something else but if you plan on running off the factory amp, the Infinities are great, they just take a little tuning to get the brighness level down.

I should add that they go great with a nice sub setup but don't have a lot of bass so I would suggest something else if you're not planning on running an aftermarket sub.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not into 'big boom' sound... just clean crisp sound quality, so here's what I did... not too huge, but sounds fantastic!

1. Left the center channel and sub - stock.
2. Added a 4-channel Rockford-Fosgate Power amp # T400-4
3. Changed the door speakers, front tweeters, and rear speakers to Focal components # 165V2.
4. Dynamat the doors and the rear deck.

The amp and Focals completely drown-out the stock sub and center channel.
Plus they have AMAZING bass punch... the best I've ever heard in a 6" driver.
Granted, they are expensive as hell... but they're worth every cent.

Jimmy
Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
I looked around for the best prices for high quality speakers and I found mine at http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/?g...FQEgYAodcnMgAA They have name brands there but not to many big name brands, but they are high quality for cheap. Every time when someone I know asked me where I got my speakers I tell them about that site. They check it out and order and tell me how they love their quality that they have now. Even though that they may not be big name brands you have heard of it is worth it and they are cheap to. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Actually... if you want the full story, here's what I did:

First, I replaced all the speakers (except the sub) with the Infinity's, as mentioned in the above post. Everyone was saying that was the way to go, so I went for it. To tell you the truth, I was less than impressed with the results. The drivers felt like they had less punch than the stock speakers, and the tweeters were horrendously bright.

So, the Infinity's lasted about a week, and I ripped them out and replaced them with 6" Focal coax's. I put them in the front doors and the rear deck. HUGE improvement. That being said, i still had the Infinity tweeters and center cashneel in the dash, and they were screaming in my ears... so I ripped the whole lot out, and replaced them with what I described originally (which is below):

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
I'm not into 'big boom' sound... just clean crisp sound quality, so here's what I did... not too huge, but sounds fantastic!

1. Left the center channel and sub - stock.
2. Added a 4-channel Rockford-Fosgate Power amp # T400-4
3. Changed the door speakers, front tweeters, and rear speakers to Focal components # 165V2.
4. Dynamat the doors and the rear deck.

The amp and Focals completely drown-out the stock sub and center channel.
Plus they have AMAZING bass punch... the best I've ever heard in a 6" driver.
Granted, they are expensive as hell... but they're worth every cent.

Jimmy
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
Actually... if you want the full story, here's what I did:

First, I replaced all the speakers (except the sub) with the Infinity's, as mentioned in the above post. Everyone was saying that was the way to go, so I went for it. To tell you the truth, I was less than impressed with the results. The drivers felt like they had less punch than the stock speakers, and the tweeters were horrendously bright.

So, the Infinity's lasted about a week, and I ripped them out and replaced them with 6" Focal coax's. I put them in the front doors and the rear deck. HUGE improvement. That being said, i still had the Infinity tweeters and center cashneel in the dash, and they were screaming in my ears... so I ripped the whole lot out, and replaced them with what I described originally (which is below):
I would do the same if I had planned on upgrading the amp. The infinities can be tamed and they are a big difference over stock. If I had planned to take it this far originally I probably would've looked at the Rainbows or Focals. I'm still happy with the Infinities and stock amp but I agree there's much better out there.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

What is your budget?

More components and changes aren't neccesarily better....

I heard a system with one amp, one sub, two mid's and two twet's that would blow a lot of systems away...imo, you can do much better then JL...IDT, Focal, Rainbow, Treo, Zapco, Etc...check out the Car Audio sites...

That being said, I have three amps, 10 speakers and a sub and it has been a pain in the ass to get everything tuned right. Taking it to a factory recommended shop next friday, we'll see what happens

Good luch
Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Team Owner

IMO, there's not much out there that can come close to the JL W6/W7s that will match both SQ and SPL. I like the fact that my W6s are the best sounding sub I've heard and they will still make your vision go blurry if you decide to crank them.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with ChicoOG. What do you want to get out of it and how much are you willing to pay for it??

You just want to improve the bass to the system without breaking the bank or much installation effort. There are plenty of all-in-one solutions (sub/box/amp) that should do the trick (basslink by infinity comes to mind).

The next step would be to do a drop in speaker replacement solution with the infinity kappas. No need to replace the stock with this.

After this comes seperate amps (alpine, zapco, jl audio, etc,etc) and higher end speakers (focal, cdt, morel, rainbow, hertz) and better subs (JL audio, Image Dynamics, Dayton Titanic, TC-Sounds). At this level you really need to shop around, get lots of advise and listen to as much of these as you can to make the right choice. O, I forgot to mention the interface that will be needed to connect this stuff to the stock OEM system (LOCs, sound processors, etc) To get all this mess to work right it will need to be tuned by a pro. Anybody can do installs and just slap it all into your car but very few can make it sound good. This kind of stuff will give you an awsome sound system of truly high SQ.

What do you want to get out of it and how much are you willing to pay??
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced

I basically want a very loud, clean sounding system, budget.....I would like to do it with around a grand or so. I also want to keep the stock radio as well as the controls on the steering wheel. With that being said, it's possible to keep the stock radio, but change out the amp so I can put more powerful speakers in as well as add a whole other amp for the subs? What will I lose by doing this ? I also want to upgrade my navy to be able to play real DVDs on the stock navy screen, that won't be factored into the grand budget though, however it will probly need to be installed with the new equipment as well at the same time.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Yikes, that is a real big wish list for a grand I spent a almost a grand on my sub alone.

Do you have the skills to do your own install? If so, you save big $$'s, if not, you may need to focus on an amp and sub with existing speakers...although you may blow the existing speakers pretty quickly, don't even know if they are compatible...heard somewhere they run at 8ohms (is that true?)

If can do the work yourself or have a freind that can, go with the one good amp, one sub in a small enclosure, two midrange speakers in the front doors, and two tweeters in the dash. Keep the existing rear speakers for fill.

Getting DVD's to play in the nav screen is an entirely different project, with it's own budget. Don't think you can do both with a grand.

By the way, the stock hu is pretty good. There is a guy who has won tons of SQ event's with the stock hu.

Good luck!! Take your time, listen to equipment side by side, and pick what sounds good to you
Old 09-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thedeadmanx
I basically want a very loud, clean sounding system, budget.....I would like to do it with around a grand or so. I also want to keep the stock radio as well as the controls on the steering wheel. With that being said, it's possible to keep the stock radio, but change out the amp so I can put more powerful speakers in as well as add a whole other amp for the subs? What will I lose by doing this ? I also want to upgrade my navy to be able to play real DVDs on the stock navy screen, that won't be factored into the grand budget though, however it will probly need to be installed with the new equipment as well at the same time.
I pulled these prices from Woofers etc. These would be my personal choices for around $1,000.00

$260.00 Alpine MRVF345 75X4 watts Amp
$290.00 Alpine MRDM605 300X1 Sub Amp
$200.00 CDT EF61FG 6.5 Component Speaker for the front doors and tweeters
$180.00 JL 12W3V2 D4 12 inch sub

$200.00 Wires, Cables, LOCs, Dynamat, Wood, Misc little stuff

$1,130.00 Total Price

If you can build the sub box yourself and do the install yourself. Try eBay for some deals too. You could save a ton of cash. I have done 2 installs in my garage. It helps to have all the tools. I have the stock HU and all functions still work. I have a non-navi so I replaced the front screen with a touchscreen/CarPC combo.

Adding DVD to your wishlist will drive the price up.

This is my first install with JL Audio amps and an RF Sub

This is my most recent install/upgrade.

Here is my PC Touchscreen up front

Old 09-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

That's a nice PC touchscreen...nice work!! Do you have internet access? Is that possible with auto PC's? Not to interested in playing DVD's, but internet would be useful.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced

wow that is a sick setup in the trunk dude! how much did that end up costing total to get that done and buy the equipment? Also what is that black box next to the sub in the lower pic?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
Yikes, that is a real big wish list for a grand I spent a almost a grand on my sub alone.

Do you have the skills to do your own install? If so, you save big $$'s, if not, you may need to focus on an amp and sub with existing speakers...although you may blow the existing speakers pretty quickly, don't even know if they are compatible...heard somewhere they run at 8ohms (is that true?)

If can do the work yourself or have a freind that can, go with the one good amp, one sub in a small enclosure, two midrange speakers in the front doors, and two tweeters in the dash. Keep the existing rear speakers for fill.

Getting DVD's to play in the nav screen is an entirely different project, with it's own budget. Don't think you can do both with a grand.

By the way, the stock hu is pretty good. There is a guy who has won tons of SQ event's with the stock hu.

Good luck!! Take your time, listen to equipment side by side, and pick what sounds good to you
Hey ChicoOG!!!
Do you have any info about this guy that's won SQ events with his factory head unit??? The problem I'm having with the system in my 05 TL is that I've replaced the entire system (see third reply in this thread) expect for the head unit so I could keep all the controls... but my lower sub frequencies are lacking even though I had a Rockford Fosgate 360.1 installed to clean up and level off the signal coming from the factory head unit. My installer said that the reason the lower frequencies were lacking is because the factory head unit's frequency response only goes down to like 50 hz instead of 20 hz like the after markets do.
If you could get me this guys name or anything that would help me contact him it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I pulled these prices from Woofers etc. These would be my personal choices for around $1,000.00

$260.00 Alpine MRVF345 75X4 watts Amp
$290.00 Alpine MRDM605 300X1 Sub Amp
$200.00 CDT EF61FG 6.5 Component Speaker for the front doors and tweeters
$180.00 JL 12W3V2 D4 12 inch sub

$200.00 Wires, Cables, LOCs, Dynamat, Wood, Misc little stuff

$1,130.00 Total Price

If you can build the sub box yourself and do the install yourself. Try eBay for some deals too. You could save a ton of cash. I have done 2 installs in my garage. It helps to have all the tools. I have the stock HU and all functions still work. I have a non-navi so I replaced the front screen with a touchscreen/CarPC combo.

Adding DVD to your wishlist will drive the price up.

This is my first install with JL Audio amps and an RF Sub

This is my most recent install/upgrade.

Here is my PC Touchscreen up front

That's an awesome install! Love the simplicity and especially the woodgrain!
Who makes that Touchscreen/CarPC combo???
How do you get climate contol info if you've replaced that screen?
... and... does the PC replace your CD source?
Thanks,
D.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by distrutt1
Hey ChicoOG!!!
Do you have any info about this guy that's won SQ events with his factory head unit??? The problem I'm having with the system in my 05 TL is that I've replaced the entire system (see third reply in this thread) expect for the head unit so I could keep all the controls... but my lower sub frequencies are lacking even though I had a Rockford Fosgate 360.1 installed to clean up and level off the signal coming from the factory head unit. My installer said that the reason the lower frequencies were lacking is because the factory head unit's frequency response only goes down to like 50 hz instead of 20 hz like the after markets do.
If you could get me this guys name or anything that would help me contact him it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I'll be out all morning, but will get a web-site with his link on it. Robert, the Technical Director from Zapco was blown away how this guys system sounds. All speakers in stock locations, except for a sub box and amps in the truck. I'll get if for you later today
Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I built the carpc myself. The black box next to the sub is my carpc. The pc sits in the trunk and the touchsreen up front controls everything. Internet can be added just lots of $ to add. I planning to add a rear view camera and local wifi so i can download files from my house wifi while the car is sitting in the garage or parked in a hotspot.

Maybe cost around $1500.00 for all. Saved about $1,000.00 doing it myself. Simple design and I can still get ot my spare tire. The center lid lifts out to get to the spare.

Most of the time is spent planning and shopping for gear. After that maybe a weekend to actually install everyhting.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey ChicoOG!!!
Thanks.

Two things, on the surface, that doesn't sound right (no pun intended). I get some serious lows from my system running the stock HU. However, maybe you can get the HU specs from the dealer or manufacturer....

Regarding the guy, I tried finding the site that had pictures of his car with MECA SQ trophies surrounding it, but couldn't find it. I believe the Moderator at www.zapco.com on the MECA competion forum ACURATLSQ is the same guy. You can go to that site and send the guy a pm. I talked to Robert, the Zapco Technical Director and he confirmed that this guy is running the stock HU...so, that isn't your problem. I am a novice at this stuff, but my guess is that is could be a tuning issue or a sub-box issue.

I have found that a lot of the "professional" installers don't neccesarily know what they are talking about. So ask around, see who has a stong following....there are some car audio forums, try IASCA, these guys are real helpful and really know there car audio stuff.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey ChicoOG!!!
Thanks.
Did you take out the oem amp? How is the 360 installed? With the low level or High level input?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Dark TL

Two things, on the surface, that doesn't sound right (no pun intended). I get some serious lows from my system running the stock HU. However, maybe you can get the HU specs from the dealer or manufacturer....

Regarding the guy, I tried finding the site that had pictures of his car with MECA SQ trophies surrounding it, but couldn't find it. I believe the Moderator at www.zapco.com on the MECA competion forum ACURATLSQ is the same guy. You can go to that site and send the guy a pm. I talked to Robert, the Zapco Technical Director and he confirmed that this guy is running the stock HU...so, that isn't your problem. I am a novice at this stuff, but my guess is that is could be a tuning issue or a sub-box issue.

I have found that a lot of the "professional" installers don't neccesarily know what they are talking about. So ask around, see who has a stong following....there are some car audio forums, try IASCA, these guys are real helpful and really know there car audio stuff.

Good luck
Chico OG,
I've found ACURATLSQ on a few forums with your direction and have registered but still am not allowed to e-mail him. I'll dig deeper later to see if I can actually reach him... thanks!
As far as the installer that installed my system it was Will Adcock (7 time world IASCA champion) here in Houston. He is a little old school so that may be the issue, maybe he thinks that all factory HU's are like the old ones and don't put out a full freq response.
You know, my problem may also be that this is my first ported enclosure and it's also facing forwards. Not like the sealed enclosures firing backwards that I'm used to. Either way, I'll keep diging... thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Dark TL

Did you take out the oem amp? How is the 360 installed? With the low level or High level input?
The OEM amp is completely bypassed. The 360 is installed using the high level inputs I believe... using the same speaker leval inputs that fed the OEM amp.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Chico OG,
I've found ACURATLSQ on a few forums with your direction and have registered but still am not allowed to e-mail him. I'll dig deeper later to see if I can actually reach him... thanks!
As far as the installer that installed my system it was Will Adcock (7 time world IASCA champion) here in Houston. He is a little old school so that may be the issue, maybe he thinks that all factory HU's are like the old ones and don't put out a full freq response.
You know, my problem may also be that this is my first ported enclosure and it's also facing forwards. Not like the sealed enclosures firing backwards that I'm used to. Either way, I'll keep diging... thanks for the help.

I replied to you on the Zapco site, but I finally found the link to the guys car...

http://www.mobilesq.com/store/galler...&g2_itemId=455

Sounds like your installer is pretty knowledgable...But, given the fact that Kirk has won so many SQ competitions, I have to question his call on the HU. He may be a little old school in that regard.

Friday I get my system tuned. Because it is running active...amps directly to speakers...it is challenging, a lot of guys won't or don't know how to do it.

Your box is real big...mine is .85cf sealed facing towards the back. Yours being 2.5cf and ported seems like a lot, but like I said, I'm not an expert.

Keep me posted on your progress, sounds like an interesting challenge
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

The OEM amp is completely bypassed. The 360 is installed using the high level inputs I believe... using the same speaker leval inputs that fed the OEM amp.
The outputs from the stock HU are low level outputs. The signal after the stock amp are high (speaker) level. If you are using the HU signal and bypassing the amp then the signal is very low level. How is the signal going into the 3sixty. The RCA inputs on the 3sixty are low level inputs. The wire inputs are high level. Since you are using the low level signal striaght from the HU they need to go into the RCAs.

Hope that helps
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Dark TL

I replied to you on the Zapco site, but I finally found the link to the guys car...

http://www.mobilesq.com/store/galler...&g2_itemId=455

Sounds like your installer is pretty knowledgable...But, given the fact that Kirk has won so many SQ competitions, I have to question his call on the HU. He may be a little old school in that regard.

Friday I get my system tuned. Because it is running active...amps directly to speakers...it is challenging, a lot of guys won't or don't know how to do it.

Your box is real big...mine is .85cf sealed facing towards the back. Yours being 2.5cf and ported seems like a lot, but like I said, I'm not an expert.

Keep me posted on your progress, sounds like an interesting challenge
Thanks for the help! I've recieved Kirk's e-mail address and sent him an e-mail requesting some info.
Thaks again.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

The outputs from the stock HU are low level outputs. The signal after the stock amp are high (speaker) level. If you are using the HU signal and bypassing the amp then the signal is very low level. How is the signal going into the 3sixty. The RCA inputs on the 3sixty are low level inputs. The wire inputs are high level. Since you are using the low level signal striaght from the HU they need to go into the RCAs.

Hope that helps
distrutt1,

I too would like to know how you're getting the signal from the HU to the 360.1. I have almost the same setup as you. Differences are I have a 300/4 and Boston Z6s up front and Boston Pros in the back. I also use a 500/1 with a single Boston 10" sub.

I have my signal coming from the speaker level (amplified) outputs of the stock amp going into the high-level inputs on my 360.1. Even after tons of tweaking, I am still getting HISS from my speakers even when the head unit is off completely.

Do you get any hiss? Can you say for sure how the wiring is done in your car? Would be very curious to know!

Thanks.

KOP, your install is insanely nice and I would love to do a CarPC the same way. Thing is, I have the navi system and would want to keep it... so I'd have to do the touchscreen hack which doesn't seem to be that popular...
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Dark TL

zax123,
I'll try to get to the shop that did the install on my car soon. I need to talk to him anyways about some upgrades I'd like. The thing is that he's not open on weekends and I work 12's during the week, but I'm gonna try to make some time in the next week or two.
Concerning your noise with the 3sixty... that's a common problem with that unit and I suggest going to the Rockford Fosgate web site and reading their forum topics on the 3sixty. There's many people with the same problem as you that have sought help from the RF site. I know that when mine was installed they ran into that problem and it took them quite a while to work out the noise... even now if you listen closely you can still hear a slight hiss but I believe it's muted enough so that it's bearable. I can tell you that you need to make sure your system's tuned with the gains on your amps all the way down, that will help.
So how are you satisfied with the bass response from your BA 10"? Are you getting the low notes that you'd expect? Is your box sealed or ported and is it firing towards the front or back? Any pictures?
If you send me your e-mail adress I'll get back with you concerning what I find out about the wiring of my 3sixty. Also, I just e-mailed RF and asked them if a high level input or a low level input is recommended for the 3sixty.
Good luck!
D.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Team Anthracite Member

dsitrutt1,

Thanks for all that info. I'll definitely try some of the things you suggested.

This is the only pic I have of my system:

http://www.robertcotran.com/persepho...alse_floor.jpg

There is a false floor which covers it. The e4300 amp has been replaced by a 500/1.

The G510 is amazing. It's got a huge casing for a 10", and really pumps out bass and I never have it turned up all the way. I want punchy bass, not big thumpy bass. It's in a sealed 0.5 cu. ft. box. I wanted to maintain as much trunk space as possible.

I'm heading over to the RF site... when you find out if you're wired from HU to low-level or stock-amp to high-level, please let me know, I'm very curious. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Instructor

hey guys, i was also thinking of doing them same, adding a little thump to my car. i already have the JL 1000/1 but for some reason i think thats overkill, meaning would i have to change/replace battery and alternator?? anyone with the 1000/1 amp could you please tell me if you needed to do any upgrades. i forgot to mention that i will be adding in the 300/1 too....so approx 1300 JL Audio power. i was thinking of going with the 500/1. any input is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
FYI...

the 360.1 is lacking alot of features when it comes to really tunning your system correctly... IMHO...

Additionally, Rockford Fosgate redesigned the tunning software for the Palm and Windows Bluetooth devices... so now when you do an OEM integration process... they ask you to disconnect ALL OUTPUTS (the com port and all RCA's) heading towards your amp... this means that the gains on your amps don't have anything to do with the integration process... The weakest part of the system is the factory amplifier... there's alot of noise there... that's the source... to the HISS...

So guys go to the RF website and download the new software...

Of course after you level out the signal via the 3sixty... you'll have to set your gains on your amplifiers correctly...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Dark TL

Hats off to you zax123! That's a very clean install and I'm sure it sounds great! My downfall is that I'm committed to keeping my spare tire so a false floor install is out of the question. Right now I have the 13W6 firing forwards in a 2.5cf box and the 450/4 & 500/1 mounted on the back with a false back (wall) over the amps so when the trunk is opened all you see is a trunk very similar to a convertible. I'm gonna try sealing up the port this weekend and then facing the box backwards to see if I can get the bass that I'm looking for. If not then I'm gonna get another 500/1 and 13w6... that'll do it! Cramming all that in my trunk and still having access to the spare will be challenging but if my calculations are right I think I can do it and still have a box with the correct air space (3.5cf per JL's specs). I'll take pictures this weekend and post them here.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by nitehawk23
hey guys, i was also thinking of doing them same, adding a little thump to my car. i already have the JL 1000/1 but for some reason i think thats overkill, meaning would i have to change/replace battery and alternator?? anyone with the 1000/1 amp could you please tell me if you needed to do any upgrades. i forgot to mention that i will be adding in the 300/1 too....so approx 1300 JL Audio power. i was thinking of going with the 500/1. any input is appreciated.
Nighthawk23,
Before purchasing my equipment I contacted JL Audio and they said for what I was running (450/4 & 500/1) I wouldn't need to upgrade my electrical system. But just last week my battery went kaput on me after 1 year of having my system and I had to warranty a new one from Acura. Good thing they didn't look too closely at my car... trunk.
At high volumes my lights do dim and I'm thinking of at least adding a capacitor. Any more wattage than that and I'd have to say a secondary battery would be in order. Not willing to mess with the alternator yet, especially while my car's still under factory warranty.
With a 1000/1 I’d certainly consider a cap and battery at a minimum. If you’re seriously looking to swap your 1000/1 for a 500/1, as you may have read by my previous response to zax123 I’m looking to up my wattage and a 1000/1 would fit the bill. Maybe we could talk about a trade and some $$$ in your hand if you like… just a thought.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
FYI...

the 360.1 is lacking alot of features when it comes to really tunning your system correctly... IMHO...

Additionally, Rockford Fosgate redesigned the tunning software for the Palm and Windows Bluetooth devices... so now when you do an OEM integration process... they ask you to disconnect ALL OUTPUTS (the com port and all RCA's) heading towards your amp... this means that the gains on your amps don't have anything to do with the integration process... The weakest part of the system is the factory amplifier... there's alot of noise there... that's the source... to the HISS...

So guys go to the RF website and download the new software...

Of course after you level out the signal via the 3sixty... you'll have to set your gains on your amplifiers correctly...
Yes I know of the vast tuning capabilities of the 3sixty.2 but at the time I didn’t think I could find anyone that truly had the knowledge and experience to tune channels independently of each other and at 1/3 octave at that! I’ve since found someone that I feel comfortable with enough to let tune my car with that amount of flexibility so a 3sixty.2 may be in my future, I just really hate the fact that you have to have a Bluetooth palm to do it!
I’ve heard that RF has upgraded their tuning software and hopefully in the near future I’ll start from scratch and retune my system.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Nighthawk23,
Before purchasing my equipment I contacted JL Audio and they said for what I was running (450/4 & 500/1) I wouldn't need to upgrade my electrical system. But just last week my battery went kaput on me after 1 year of having my system and I had to warranty a new one from Acura. Good thing they didn't look too closely at my car... trunk.
At high volumes my lights do dim and I'm thinking of at least adding a capacitor. Any more wattage than that and I'd have to say a secondary battery would be in order. Not willing to mess with the alternator yet, especially while my car's still under factory warranty.
With a 1000/1 I’d certainly consider a cap and battery at a minimum. If you’re seriously looking to swap your 1000/1 for a 500/1, as you may have read by my previous response to zax123 I’m looking to up my wattage and a 1000/1 would fit the bill. Maybe we could talk about a trade and some $$$ in your hand if you like… just a thought.
distrutt

thanks for the quick response to my questions, im on the fence with keeping the 1000 or just going to the 500/1. the reason why i want to keep the 1000 is because i plan on going with a solo x 10 inch. i know that sub needs lots of power which is why i went with the 1000. its going to be winter soon and im not going to be driving the car in the winter so i will worry about stereo system next year.

regarding the trade, i dont mind but keep in mind my 1000 is brand new never used...well once cause i had to test it out right.

im gonna keep searching this site and see what other fellow jl oweners think and what they did to overcome the dimming lights and stuff.

thanks!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hats off to you zax123! That's a very clean install and I'm sure it sounds great! My downfall is that I'm committed to keeping my spare tire so a false floor install is out of the question. Right now I have the 13W6 firing forwards in a 2.5cf box and the 450/4 & 500/1 mounted on the back with a false back (wall) over the amps so when the trunk is opened all you see is a trunk very similar to a convertible. I'm gonna try sealing up the port this weekend and then facing the box backwards to see if I can get the bass that I'm looking for. If not then I'm gonna get another 500/1 and 13w6... that'll do it! Cramming all that in my trunk and still having access to the spare will be challenging but if my calculations are right I think I can do it and still have a box with the correct air space (3.5cf per JL's specs). I'll take pictures this weekend and post them here.
distrutt,

Believe it or not, I still have my spare tire under there. There's kinda two false floors...

3.5 cu. ft. for ONE subwoofer? Holy cow!! That's a lot of trunk space.

Did you ever find out from your installer how he connected the 360 to your stock head unit?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 PM
5th Gear

I just bought 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's to install in my '04 TL and need to know if there is anywhere I can get an installation manual so I can do it right. I have done one install before, but it was on an old car with an aftermarket head unit so it was easy. I plan on hooking these to the stock (non-navi) head unit, including the sub channel for the signal wire. Can anyone help? Also, is it possible to run an auxilary connection for ipods/zunes off of the '04 stereo? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by zax123
distrutt,

Believe it or not, I still have my spare tire under there. There's kinda two false floors...

3.5 cu. ft. for ONE subwoofer? Holy cow!! That's a lot of trunk space.

Did you ever find out from your installer how he connected the 360 to your stock head unit?
Actually it's a 2.5 cf box. JL suggest a 1.875 cf box (plus the 0.120 cf for the motor structure) but my installer used some box building software and came up with a slightly different configuration, which entailed using a larger box.
This past weekend I finally took the time to turn my box around and fire it backwards to see if that would fix my promblem with not getting the lower frequencies that I was expecting... well it worked! I'm now getting all the bass I wanted and more! The kick is there, the low end bass is there, it's great! Now my only problem is that my amps can't mount on the back of the box any more so they're just lying flat on the floor. Now I have to bring the car back in to get them mounted in an amp rack. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that will turn out. I took some pictures before I turned the box around and will post them here in the next couple of days.
I'm still trying to get the time to go talk to my installer about my wiring configuration (and my new amp rack now) but as soon as I do you'll here from me.
D.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by JMags
I just bought 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's to install in my '04 TL and need to know if there is anywhere I can get an installation manual so I can do it right. I have done one install before, but it was on an old car with an aftermarket head unit so it was easy. I plan on hooking these to the stock (non-navi) head unit, including the sub channel for the signal wire. Can anyone help? Also, is it possible to run an auxilary connection for ipods/zunes off of the '04 stereo? Thanks.
Installation manual? Do you mean you need to know how much air space those subs require? If they're the newest models then they require 0.7 - 1.3cf for a sealed box and 2.00cf for a ported box.
If you're installation background consists of only one install on an older model car then I can't stress enough that you need to seek a professional installer to do your work for you. With the TL you'll be working with a factory amp, a well put together interior (that I can imagine you don't want to mess up) among many other things.
As far as hooking up an IPOD that's no problem. There's plenty of aftermarket pieces that will do this. The Rockford Fosgate 3sixty is one of them (which I have in my car). As an added bonus this piece will allow you to integrate your factory head unit into your aftermarket system. Now with the 3sixty you'll most certainly require a professional to do your install. There's many issues with working with the 3sixty that are too numerous to list here. Just to list a few other options for you... JL Audio makes what's called a "Clean Sweep" that is similar to the 3sixty, Zapco make a very good high to low converter (no IPOD input though).
You should spend a Saturday afternoon hitting a few good car stereo shops in your neighborhood and get their advice as well. Tell them what you want and what you're looking for and see what they have to say... you'll learn a lot by doing this!

Quick Reply: Looking to do a sound system upgrade for my 04' Acura, opinions please...