LOC+Crossover=Amp...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOC+Crossover=Amp...

Im planning my stereo install and have a few questions. My equipment is the following:

Keeping factory head unit.
MB Quart Q series 6 1/2 Components w/MB Quart x-overs (front)
MB Quart 6 1/2's (rear)
Audiocontrol LC7i 6-Channel Line converter. w/knob
SSL 3-Way Electronic crossover w/knob
JL Audio 12W6
JL Audio 500/5 5-channel amp.

Im using the LC7i to run (factory) pre-amp signals to either the 500/5 or the SSL crossover. Im wondering since the LC7i will help boost the signal to the amp a little, should I run the SSL crossover also since its supposed to amplify signal a little bit also? I know its not a high quality item but since I have it would it help at all or cause issues of some kind. I don't really need a crossover since the 500/5 has it built in for all channels but if it will help the signal quality I might as well use it...
Old 01-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm limited in experience here, but I just had an LC7I installed in my car. The LC7I is not designed to go pre amp. You will need to run it after the factory amp. I also recommend using the internal channel summing feature as well. With your amp, I don't think the crossover is necessary and I doubt it'll help with the sound. If you want to maximize sound I would recommend sound deadening your front doors. SockR1 recommended this to me and it's totally worth it!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by WDPinit
I'm limited in experience here, but I just had an LC7I installed in my car. The LC7I is not designed to go pre amp. You will need to run it after the factory amp. I also recommend using the internal channel summing feature as well. With your amp, I don't think the crossover is necessary and I doubt it'll help with the sound. If you want to maximize sound I would recommend sound deadening your front doors. SockR1 recommended this to me and it's totally worth it!

you never told me how your install turned out...how is it??

that sound deadening makes a huge difference right?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sockr1
you never told me how your install turned out...how is it??

that sound deadening makes a huge difference right?
I'm most likely going to do a whole thread so you'll know all about how it turned out haha. Prob after this weekend when I get the trunk done. It's clear and quite loud. Except when you're listening to bass heavy music, the sound is quite balanced. For some reason, the left side of my component set went out for 5 minutes, can't explain that lol. Because of how everything sounds now, I don't even see a need to build a ported box.

And yes, it's definitely worth doing. I honestly think Acura did a decent job from the factory, but actually using proper deadening makes a quite noticeable difference.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood187
Im planning my stereo install and have a few questions. My equipment is the following:

Keeping factory head unit.
MB Quart Q series 6 1/2 Components w/MB Quart x-overs (front)
MB Quart 6 1/2's (rear)
Audiocontrol LC7i 6-Channel Line converter. w/knob
SSL 3-Way Electronic crossover w/knob
JL Audio 12W6
JL Audio 500/5 5-channel amp.

Im using the LC7i to run (factory) pre-amp signals to either the 500/5 or the SSL crossover. Im wondering since the LC7i will help boost the signal to the amp a little, should I run the SSL crossover also since its supposed to amplify signal a little bit also? I know its not a high quality item but since I have it would it help at all or cause issues of some kind. I don't really need a crossover since the 500/5 has it built in for all channels but if it will help the signal quality I might as well use it...
If you want to improve the factory unit, Jesse Levi Kelley from phantom audio actually opens and modifies the stock radios to play cleaner highs and ups the juice to the speakers!

He originally does the stock amps too, i purchased a modded stock amp and stock radio, the amp alone with my DLS iridum tweeters, the highs sound amazing, its cleaner and plays at higher frequency.

I cant wait to toss in the radio then door speakers!!!
Old 01-28-2017, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good man. That systems gonna pound hard! I gotta ask tho...why not just replace factory radio? It's not that hard and I'm way happier with my result. you can retain your steering wheel controls and hands free calling. don't laugh at my cheesy Sony amp ,

I got it for free lol.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by marxw13
Looks good man. That systems gonna pound hard! I gotta ask tho...why not just replace factory radio? It's not that hard and I'm way happier with my result. you can retain your steering wheel controls and hands free calling. don't laugh at my cheesy Sony amp ,

I got it for free lol.
Damn that looks good! Don't worry about the Sony amp, you can always replace once you get some $ and the way you mounted it looks clean! If I can get some money this summer, I may try the head unit upgrade. What dash kit did you use? I have the nav unit currently
Old 01-28-2017, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

^^ it's the krankitup kit for the TL. Only one offered I believe
Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Racer

Shit $200 is a little steep, but understandable. I guess a cheap one like this will be illfitting?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

When I was researching I think someone told me that one fits also. I think the krankitup one comes with harnesses and everything though. Check out their website.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sockr1
When I was researching I think someone told me that one fits also. I think the krankitup one comes with harnesses and everything though. Check out their website.
It was like $200 for the kit with steering wheel controls. Not really needed for me, I could just buy a unit with knob. Just don't know if going through the trouble for an aftermarket unit is worth it. I'm more looking for a cleaner signal and what not
Old 01-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Hollywood. You can run the low level signal from the factory HU direct to the JL amp. The JL amp works well with the low signal. you do not need a LOC. processor could be helpful
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Instructor

I got the kit on ebay for $80. I dont recall a brand. it was just some cheap kit. It looks and fits nice but was a rip off for the price. it came with plastic brackets which are worthless since you can reuse the metal factory ones and also came with a harness. it is alot of work if your not accustomed to doing that sort of thing since I bypassed the factory amp. I may have been able to integrate with it but since the factory radio puts out low level signal I would have needed a line out converter to turn down signal level and from my experience you usually end up with hiss.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by marxw13
I got the kit on ebay for $80. I dont recall a brand. it was just some cheap kit. It looks and fits nice but was a rip off for the price. it came with plastic brackets which are worthless since you can reuse the metal factory ones and also came with a harness. it is alot of work if your not accustomed to doing that sort of thing since I bypassed the factory amp. I may have been able to integrate with it but since the factory radio puts out low level signal I would have needed a line out converter to turn down signal level and from my experience you usually end up with hiss.
I would have someone else install it, but I would just keep the factory unit on for the nav (still, don't use it much) and drop in a Pioneer double din there for better features and quality signal. Do you think the signal improvement is worth the cost? I have a mono for a 12" and 2 channel for JBL components rn and it sounds good with an Audiocontrol LC7I for the line out converter, but it definitely sounds like it's holding some quality back due to signal.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WDPinit
I would have someone else install it, but I would just keep the factory unit on for the nav (still, don't use it much) and drop in a Pioneer double din there for better features and quality signal. Do you think the signal improvement is worth the cost? I have a mono for a 12" and 2 channel for JBL components rn and it sounds good with an Audiocontrol LC7I for the line out converter, but it definitely sounds like it's holding some quality back due to signal.
So my story is I originally did an Isimple IS32 for an aux input and used a LOC for my amp. I hated the quality and the volume on the Isimple wouldn't go loud enough for my taste. Now that I've replaced the factory radio and bypassed the amp I'm 100% satisfied. The install shop I work at sells and installs various iPod/smartphone integration devices and I'm not a fan of any of them so to me if I can replace the radio I will. Everything sounds great. Really clean with no distortion since I set the high pass filter to 120 and even with my cheesy Sony amp I get pretty good bass. I'd say it's worth it but I didn't have to pay for any labor since I did it all myself. If I were to do it for someone else it would cost them.