Loading an Accord NAV DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loading an Accord NAV DVD

I own a 2005 TL. I recently came across a 2006 NAV DVD that came with a new Accord.

I tried loading the DVD in my NAV system, and it came up with a version error. I looked on the DVD, and my old one says 3.5xx, and the new disc says 4.3xx. Im completely new.. Do I have to do something after I swap discs?

I've read through some posts here and thought maybe I should do that map/menu/cancel, Version, load disc. Tried that, and got a message "check disc"

Theres nothing on the discs themselves that imply it belongs on a particular model or car....

Questions:

1. Are Honda NAV DVDs and Acura NAV DVDs same?
2. Should I be able to load the new disc in my TL?
3. If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geekusmaximus
I own a 2005 TL. I recently came across a 2006 NAV DVD that came with a new Accord.

I tried loading the DVD in my NAV system, and it came up with a version error. I looked on the DVD, and my old one says 3.5xx, and the new disc says 4.3xx. Im completely new.. Do I have to do something after I swap discs?

I've read through some posts here and thought maybe I should do that map/menu/cancel, Version, load disc. Tried that, and got a message "check disc"

Theres nothing on the discs themselves that imply it belongs on a particular model or car....

Questions:

3. If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
It depends on the Navi. TL's, at least my 04 use the orange disc. Other units, like those in the RL and newer MDXs use the white disc (I think). When I first finished my non-Navi to Navi conversion I bought used software on EBay and it was Honda branded. However I just bought version 3.5 from Alpine and despite the packaging and packing list saying Acura, my splashscreen has a honda logo on it.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Advanced

The TSX has supposedly an updated NAVI with Zagat ratings, etc. Is that contained in the DVD or somewhere else? And when the next update for the TL NAVI dvd comes out next year, it should include that as well right? Also, is the resolution for the TSX navi and TL navi the same?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I believe the screen resolution is the same.

As for next year's update, it would seem odd that the TSX would have any feature that the TL doesn't have, if it were possible for it to have it - maybe the 07 TL will have the upgraded Nav, but the rest of us might be stuck with the old technology.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Lurker

Originally Posted by Geekusmaximus

Questions:

3. If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
The discs aren't based on the car, they're based on the Alpine Navi system that is installed and Alpine sorts them by color. TL's use the "Orange" disc and the orange disc will have many different applications on it including the Accords that use the Orange disc. I'm not sure what the 06 uses, but earlier accords did use the orange disc. The Accord software also had some additional features like a full trip computer that displayed instant MPG and things like that. However the Accord software (I found out from trying it) doesn't have digital clock support so the digital clock above the Navi can't be set through the Navi.

If you have an orange disc you can switch images following instructions in another thread quoted below

Okay----Here are the details to try this. Again...DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Step 1)
Remove DVD disk from Nav system in trunk. Key must be in II position or III position. Press eject

Step 2)
Copy the following files to your hard disk. You must have a DVD Reader.
File1=BN2HH12C.bin
File2=BN2HH110.bin
File3=BN2HH120.bin
File4=BN2HHmld.bin
File5=BN2HN12b.bin
File6=BN2HN18b.bin

Step 3)
Take File #3 above (BN2HH120.bin) You need to rename this file to BN2HH12c.bin, and burn a CD. So, your CD should have the files named in Step 2, but BN2HH12C.bin should "REALLY" be the file BN2HH120.bin (But named BN2HH12c.bin)

Basically, the system is looking to load file name BN2HH12c.bin. We are tricking it into loading BN2HH120.bin by renaming it. BN2HH120 is really the accord nav system.

Burn a CD (Yes...it doesnt have to be a DVD) with these files and place into NAV system.

Step 4) Get into DIAGNOSTIC mode by holding down "MAP/GUIDE+MENU+CANCEL" until the diag screen shows

Step 5) Select "Version" from the diag screen

Step 6) Select "DISK LOAD" which appears in red.

Step 7) DO NOT SHUT OFF KEY from II or III postion

Step 8) It should re-boot, and you will see the HONDA logo instead of the ACURA logo. Place the orig NAV disk in the NAV system

YOU NOW HAVE A MUCH BETTER TRIP COMPUTER!!!! (Than in the MID)

To go back to the orig Acura system, make another disk, however....this time, Rename the Original BN2HH12C.bin file to BN2HH120.bin. The nav system with the Honda logo is now looking for BN2HH120.bin If you re-name the orig acura file (BN2HH12C.bin--->bn2HH120.bin), you will go back to normal. Follow the same proceedure as shown above, only with the disk described here.

I have two disks, and when I go to get an oil change, I will reset to ACURA....

AGAIN....THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

To do the swap, you must get to the navi system, hold map, menu and cancel at the same time for a few sections. Then you'll have the diagnostic screen. Click on Version to be ready to force the software installation.

16. Take the original navigation DVD out of the car, and replace it with the CD/DVD you just created. Leave the front plate of the DVD player open. Run back inside your car!

17. Hit the "Load Disc" button on the Version screen. Run back to the trunk and close the front plate of the DVD player!

18. It should take about 20 seconds for your car to load the new BIN and reboot. You shoudl see your new Once that happens, take out your burned CD/DVD and put back the origional navigation DVD.

19. If anything goes wrong, remove the ground to the battery for 30 seconds with the origional DVD in the car. The old OS will load back on the system.
Using this I was able to go from Accord back to TL software with no problems. It was very easy if you can move quick It is all about if that disc you have is an Orange Disc, and given the latest Orange disc is 3.5, I'm thinking no. But you can use the Accord software off of your current disc if you wanted.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:48 AM
My Daily Driver

when you did the accord disc, did the MPG screen work at all? And are the rest of the features (aside from the clock thing) the same as the TL disc?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Lurker

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
when you did the accord disc, did the MPG screen work at all? And are the rest of the features (aside from the clock thing) the same as the TL disc?
Yeah, the MPG screen worked fine in that it reported data. However the data reported by it and the factory Acura one (appearing in the dash) were different. The Acura numbers were lower (and seemingly more accurate) than those reported by the Accord software so I saw little point in keeping it.

The features were all the same so far as I could tell. The graphics were slightly different, for example the car position arrow was longer but other than that I couldn't tell any difference. The only thing I saw that the Accord software "broke" was the clock.