keep sub and center channel with aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep sub and center channel with aftermarket?

hey guys, just installed my new stereo but i'm using a wiring harness i got from walmart which does not have connections for the sub or center channel speaker.

is there a wiring diagram out there that will show me where to make these connections? and if so is this even possible? also is there a way to still keep the HFL mic as the new unit i have has bluetooth as well but i don't think it has a mic, this might be the bigger problem however.

the wiring harness i bought only had spaces for:

right rear
left rear
right front
left front
ground dimmer
chassis ground
12 volt ignition
right rear positive
left rear positive
right front positive
left front positive
illumination/dimmer
12 volt battery/constant

here is a wiring diagram of my new stereo.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont think you are ready for what you are planning. First you have to ask how are you going to make an aftermarket radio look nice... the aluminum trim is cut out for the buttons. There are plenty of ways to make everything sounds better using the stock head unit. Im in the process right now acutally. RF 360.1 or .2 will allow you to keep everything center channel, sub, navi voice, HFL, stock radio conrols. Things will get messy I strongly suggest you think this over IMHO.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From you wiring diagram of the new HU it appears to support a center channel and an independent sub via RCAs. Use the walmart harness to get power to the new HU. Connect the RCAs to your aftermarket amps and everything should be fine (you do have aftermarket amps,right?). If not, then things are going to get very complicated and ugly. Major rewiring will be needed to connect the HU to the stock speakers, bypassing the stock amp. The OEM mic will not work with the new HU. What is the make/model # of the new HU
Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahh, screw this. i didn't want to add even more work. i thought this was just a simple rewire without adding extra parts. i didn't know we had to add an extra amp. that's why i bought a tl without the 'nice' stereo setup. anyway, thanks for all the help guys. i think i'm just going to do the 'aux' work-around to get my ipod playing through the XM and use a portable gps hack to watch vids if i want.

you guys know much about the icelink? i was reading about it last night but i can't find any that work on the 05 tl only the 98-03. i think that'd be a good way to go if i could ever find it. i think the blitzsafe is just too much $$ for adding ipod integration.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i got a blitzsafe cd changer emulator... nice sound quality but as soon as i disconnected it one the pins that hold the wire in the cheap connector started comming lose so i just ditched it... superglue would have def fixed it but for $70 bucks i thought it should have been made a little better....

coolest ipod integration tool ive seen is bluefusion... inputs through xm so you can change the song with steering control and song name on stock displays PLUS its got AD2P stereo bluetooth so if you got an iphone... you never even need to connect it to anything. Cleanest possible install IMO