iSimple ISHD651 Install Writeup - With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had this installed, i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to control the ipod while it is plugged in, when i plug my ipod in it just goes to a lock screen and wont let me control the music from the ipod, i am forced to use the controls on the dash which is a pain in the ass. I have a factory radio with the newest generation ipod classic. My car is a 07 TL w/Nav
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't tried it, but if you switch to the USB input mode instead of IPODUSB you may be able to do it that way. Too bad your Classic doesn't have Bluetooth...

That or you can use the AUX input with a 3.5mm jack.

Last edited by NebraskaJ; 03-20-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey NebraskaJ, nice write up and thanks for posting the pictures up too. I just received all of the parts I need to install the iSimple unit in my 2008 TL-S. Mine will be going from the trunk to the center console area but my question is about running the cable into the center console. Will I need to drill a hole in the bottom of the center console unit to fit the wire through or is there an access hole / area where the cable can be run through?

I couldn't really see from your pictures if there is or isn't but I'm trying to make it a clean install and minimize on any kind of cutting.

The unit and cables I purchased are pictured in the thread linked below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/isimple-2007-acura-tl-type-s-827320/

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
There aren't any holes available in the console - you'll have to drill a hole to run the cable through. Luckily you don't have to drill that big of a hole to fit the smaller end of the cable through... I'd recommend the forward (shifter) side of the console, like where I made my hole, so it's not that noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
Boogsephine (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NebraskaJ
There aren't any holes available in the console - you'll have to drill a hole to run the cable through. Luckily you don't have to drill that big of a hole to fit the smaller end of the cable through... I'd recommend the forward (shifter) side of the console, like where I made my hole, so it's not that noticeable.
Thanks! Yeah, the smaller end of the cable wouldn't need that big of a hole to be drilled. I was browsing through some other pages on here looking for install pictures and found one and I might just modify the little access door at the bottom of the center console.

Name:  IMG_2980-2.jpg
Views: 3397
Size:  38.8 KB

I'll just drill a corner out leaving enough room for the cable to fit through with a little slack. Hopefully it'll be an easy install tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by danm255
I just had this installed, i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to control the ipod while it is plugged in, when i plug my ipod in it just goes to a lock screen and wont let me control the music from the ipod, i am forced to use the controls on the dash which is a pain in the ass. I have a factory radio with the newest generation ipod classic. My car is a 07 TL w/Nav
When you plug the ipod in, switch the mode using the right turning knob and move it from ipod to aux. this gives you full control using your ipod interface but I think the steering wheel controls don't work then. Either way it is possible! I use this method when trying to go to a specific artist, song, or album since it takes way too long with your radio buttons
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boogsephine
... the little access door at the bottom of the center console.

Dumb question -- how do you open that little access door? I can't figure it out for the life of me; maybe I'm just too fumble-fingers????
Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tmandel
Dumb question -- how do you open that little access door? I can't figure it out for the life of me; maybe I'm just too fumble-fingers????
If I remember correctly there should be a opening that you can pry open with a flat tip? Could be wrong, been awhile since I installed mine.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 PM
'06 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the steering wheel control (skip track) work with an Android streaming over bluetooth? Any information about this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

Spotify

Has anyone used the ISHD651 with Spotify? I am curious to know while streaming will I be able to skip tracks via the steering wheel controls?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Due_Diligence
If I remember correctly there should be a opening that you can pry open with a flat tip? Could be wrong, been awhile since I installed mine.
Mine just popped right out when I slid my finger under it. Otherwise a screwdriver should work. I also just notched a small piece out of one of the corners of this piece so I could run my usb cable up to the armrest.

I haven't been too happy with the bluetooth on mine. Garbles up calls when I'm handsfree with the car and bluetooth (ipodbt) thru the isimple I didn't hook up the mic figuring it would work with separate protocols for music and handsfree. Doesn't do this if I turn isimple bluetooth off and use ipodusb.

Also, bt streaming is awesome. But choppy sometimes.

Last edited by tnmg; 10-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

Hi, I just want to post and say thank you for your install write up. This thread helped me install this isimple in my girlfriends 2006 TL.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tooga
Has anyone used the ISHD651 with Spotify? I am curious to know while streaming will I be able to skip tracks via the steering wheel controls?
i want to know the same thing before i purchase this,since spotify is my main source for music
Old 06-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by da9er
i want to know the same thing before i purchase this,since spotify is my main source for music
When I plugged in my iPhone 5 into the iSimple harness I was not able to skip tracks using the steering wheel buttons on Pandora. I haven't tried with my iPhone 6 and I was also using the regular connection to lightning adapter.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by da9er
Any comments to the user friendliness and steering wheel functionality for streaming apps like Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, Google Play Music, Vevo playlists or youtube playlists?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kiNGng3

Any comments to the user friendliness and steering wheel functionality for streaming apps like Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, Google Play Music, Vevo playlists or youtube playlists?
In my experience it mostly works.

Its been working really well for me for the past 7 months but I turned it on today and the XM just stopped working and the unit does not even appear. Pressing XM button did not do anything. I was able to fix it last time by pulling the connector out and reconnecting-- but does anyone know an easier way?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bymotion
In my experience it mostly works.

Its been working really well for me for the past 7 months but I turned it on today and the XM just stopped working and the unit does not even appear. Pressing XM button did not do anything. I was able to fix it last time by pulling the connector out and reconnecting-- but does anyone know an easier way?

Thanks
Probably loose connection on the USB end into the isimple unit?