iSimple Feedback ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iSimple Feedback ...

so im getting ready to order up the isimple set up for my ipod video for my 06 With Navi since it will do what i want it to do according to them:
- ipod control from steering wheel + ipod
- txt display on navi screen
- charge while playing
eventually i want to purchase the other adapter in order to get the video on the screen ....

anyone have any feedback with bugs or anything like that with this set up ? any issues ?
thank you
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd post this question here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Audio section.........
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced

i figured i'd get a quicker response in here it doesnt seems like there is much activity in that part of the forum
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Hey i just bought my iSimple and it should be here today/tomorrow. I have 06 auto with navi. I will try to remember and give you a heads up on my experiences.

~
irishbloke
Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced

I got a lot of info here

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/new-navi-video-interface-w-extras-audio-i-p-usb-charging-ipod-ctrl-remote-729815/

This is a very long and detailed thread... Its worth taking a look at for what your doing
Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by irishbloke
Hey i just bought my iSimple and it should be here today/tomorrow. I have 06 auto with navi. I will try to remember and give you a heads up on my experiences.

~
irishbloke
Can you update the thread or PM me too on that
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by irishbloke

~
irishbloke
def let me know once u install it and tell me how its working out for u please
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

*Subscribed*

I have a Iphone (1st gen). My friends have ipod classic, nano's, iphone 3g, no 3gs though. Will try to get pics everything up.

Install will likely be during the weekend or before if I get the stones to do it myself.

~
irishbloke
Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Tons of info here

Linky
Old 08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

All done! 3 hours for me! But if I could do it then well anybody can. Will post more details... post questions in the meantime.

working great (HFL, integration, text, sound is awesome, ... so far no quirks that i can complain about)....

~
irishbloke
Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Intermediate

OK adding some more info.

First off, DO NOT buy the IPod cable extension (the 15ft one). Its not needed and is not a "true" cable - it is just a cable with a s-video type connector on each side (I was expecting a cable with at least one end being direct to ipod connector). Its garbage to me - only needed if you for some reason wanted to send either the ipod cable or the RCA audio jacks to the back of the back/trunk (I suppose a valid purpose but if you are purchasing the iSimple odds are you want a simple solution and you dont have a carputer/dvd player in the trunk). The cable is an extension only (cannot be used on its own).

Second get into your car. Pull down the carpet by the right driver's knee (closer to the accelerator). You won't need much - just that section (fold it over). There is a little carpet clip holder in that area - pull it out (carpet doesn't need to fold down much farther than this point).

Third, push seat all the way back, lower seat all the way (or till touching backseat). Put on wife beater and athletic pants you feel comfortable doing amazing physical feats in! Ideally you should be able to slide up and down the leather seat (and be able to slide up using your feet to pull yourself up and out). Roll your driver side window down (I had my legs sticking out of it a couple times when in a tricky spot). Take your shoes off (socks on will be good idea). Push the steering wheel all the way up).

Fourth, (and I didn't do this until got sick of hitting my head on sharp points), get two hats (think redneck hunting hats, not baseball caps or anything like that). Put one each over the accelerator and brake pedals. Trust me your head will thank me. One caveat - it can get hot down there (from all the hats - so up to you.

Five, gather your tools.
  • Small thin flash light
  • Smallish handle screwdriver with about 6 inch length and bent tip about 45 degrees (don't need a 90 degree bend).
  • 6 inch tweezers, curved, taped shut, something like this (this what I used to insert harness back in)
  • I had a metal (welding stick?) stick that was longish 7inches or so with circular design. Bent the tip and the circular tip was what removed the harness for me. I was also less afraid of damaging wires and thus was able to apply more pressure (for the money pull).
  • Few more tools laying around won't hurt (you will have better idea when you see the harness we are pulling).
Six, explanation whats going to happen. Look at iSimple harness: The black connector will go into the iSimple, the female piece (the one that looks like it need something plugged into it duh!) is where you will be inserting the factory harness (which we will eject from the factory radio soon), and the Male end is what we will insert into the factory radio (once the original connector is removed).

Seven, game time. Get into the car, lay down on the driver seat with your feet on/past the headrest. Arm your self with your flashlight in the left hand and throw some tools onto your washboard abs or the floor where you will be able to reach them. Now slide under slightly curving your head as you slide into the pedal bay area (make sure your head is heading into the groove of the accelerator not the brake pedal). Alright you are now in. Turn your flashlight on and shine away. Familarize yourself of whats under the dash. When in your position you can potentially see 3 harness connections. Right in front of you could be a big white connector (not what you want). To your LEFT!!! through the gap you will see the white and blue connector going into the factory radio (not into the nav unit - just factory radio). Our mission: Remove the white connector and connect our own connector. Notice the pain in arse angle through which you have to access the harness connector (it will be a pain plugging the new harness in - why i recommend having a curved like tweezer/plyers to plug back in). Go ahead and try to disconnect this harness now.. note that the bent tip is supposed to go to top middle of the harness and then apply pressure down to release the connector and pull. .... Keep trying.... let a few swears rip, try again, Ok Pull out! Go grab a drink and cool off, sit on the crapper and think through your game plan, throw some grub into your mouth, and then get back onto the playing field.

At this point you will be regretting all the extra hours spent at the gym building up your triceps/biceps - they get in your way really bad! For me what ended up working was flashlight in left hand (sometimes in teeth) and tool of choice always in right hand (left hand for main tool never worked, but was ok for secondary tool).

OK now there is nothing more to say for this part: Just get the bloody connector out. This will be a big woohoo moment!

Eight, factory connector is disconnected right? Good! Now use the pliers/tweezer with curved ends and try to get the new harness connector in. This is a HUGE pain in the arse due to the angle. Use your head and logic and you will figure out how to get it in. I should note once its in you may notice it doesnt look fully in - pressured it and just about forced it but that was as good as it went in for me. Once in this will also will be a woohoo moment!

Nine, At this point I plugged the black cable into iSimple and gave it a test. For some reason it was only showing Aux1 (but charging and giving audio from my iphone). I thought my iphone was just not supported for advanced functionality - wrong it does. Disconnected the isimple and hooked the factory harness we removed eariler into the female end of the isimple harness, did some cable managment, and plugged isimple in for some final testing. What do you know the isimple is now showing my iphone as a ipod and showing the audio, text, and all the buttons in the car work in controlling my iphone (steering wheel dash, etc.)

Thats just about it. I will be mounting the iSimple right above my accelerator to the right using double sided tape or Velcro. I would of prefered to mount it under the seat but the harness doesn't even come close to reaching that far.

I ended running the ipod cable under the center dash and into the box thingy (i cannot remember the name of it for the life of me right now... 3am right now). It has special wiring holes in the the top level just for something like this.

Ok wrapping up this post up. Let me know if I missed anything or if you have questions. Sound quality was worth the 160 bucks. I purchase from gigharbour auto works via acurazine. Arrived quick (we are in same state). Best Ipod integration kit i have seen thus far (haven't seem many but the ones I have usually do not come close to integrating as well as the iSimple does).

sleep...
~
irishbloke
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The install is simple. The hardest part is running the iphone wire under the carpet/side molding. Too bad the isimple kit I ordered 2 months ago was doa. I am STILL waiting for a replacement. That was 150 bucks I wasted on my TL.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Is it okay to install adapter in Trunk? Cuz, that's what I have done and doesn't work.