iSimple in 07/08 TL - Steering Wheel Controls Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
iSimple in 07/08 TL - Steering Wheel Controls Question

I had a 2008 MDX Tech/Ent up until a couple of weeks ago. In that, I installed the iSimple PXAMG with the PGHHD2 harness. I had some issues with the text displaying on the screen correctly, but all of the functionality seemed to be fine.

When I traded in the MDX, I pulled the iSimple kit out, especially since I knew I was buying a 2008 TL NAVI which uses the same XM setup (and requires the same PGHHD2 harness for the iSimple).

I pulled the necessary panels and such last night, and I installed the iSimple into the TL. Between the pull from the MDX and the install into the TL, I updated the firmware to the latest version available (788b). After installing it into the TL, I fired it up and was able to play music.

Today, I discovered there are some anomalies in how this thing works when compared to the MDX.

First - The Channel +/- button on the steering wheel will no longer allow to select the next / previous song. Instead, the "+" will switch through the "Random" settings (Off, Song, Album, Off, etc). The "-" will bring up the "PL:" menu as if I pressed the "6" button on the head unit.

Second - When I had this unit installed in the MDX, I could simply press and release the "6" button to select the menus and options. In the TL, I have to hold the "6" button down for 3/4 of a second or more in order for the unit to recognize that I am sending it control commands to "do something".

I spoke with Peripheral support tonight, and the tech said that the steering wheel control might be "normal". He stated that, "typically", when the buttons on the wheel scroll through presets, you don't get track forward / back control on the iPod. I don't buy this since the deck in the MDX worked exactly the same way this one does and used the same selection system as this one from the steering wheel controls (and the track selection worked fine on the MDX as well).

He also stated that the "lag" in the button presses wasn't something he was sure about. He took a bunch of information to send to engineering to see what they say.

My unit is still under warranty, so I'm turning to the world's best resource (you guys!) for some input.

Who out there has this setup in their 07/08 TL (I don't know if the deck in the TL-S is identical, but I would expect it is)? Can you please tell me how yours functions?

I have read through a lot of threads about these devices, but the vast majority of the installs seem to be using the PGHHD1 harness and/or installed in a pre-07 TL (which won't have the real-time traffic component).

When providing info, please tell me the following:

Year, Model (TL / TL-S), your harness type, whether it's installed in the trunk or not, whether your XM is active or not, whether your Real-Time Traffic is active or not.

Then, I'm interested in knowing if you can skip tracks from the steering wheel control and whether or not you have to hold the buttons on the deck to control the menus (or if it will respond to press-and-release "clicks" of the buttons).

Thanks, gang!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

BUMP: Come on, gang... I know there are a number of folks that have this setup, and I could use the information.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
They seem to work different in every car. I have 2 units in my 2004 and 2006 and both work nearly the same. XM is fine. I have the older harness wired under the dash. My steering wheel controls work fine.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
13203!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
per our PM, I figured i'd chime in.

I have a PX-AMG, PG-HDD2 harness

08 TL-S, installed in the trunk, I do have an XM subscription, no traffic updates.

Using an iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 firmware, if it matters.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Ok... An update...

I PM'ed a couple of users that had threads citing that they had the same general setup as myself. I also dug a little deeper into some threads outlining this exact sort of install. And, I talked more with the technical support folks at iSimple. Here's what I found...

If you press and *hold* the Channel +/- button on the steering wheel, it will skip forward or backward a song. If you press and release the button quickly (akin to skipping up or down a preset), you will either configure the Repeat function (+, same as the "1" preset button) or enter the menus (-, same as the "6" preset button).

I had read some information that alluded to changing the operation of the button from "Channel" mode to "Station" mode (or something similar). That has no effect.

The end result is this: While it works differently than it did in my MDX (and not different in a way that I like), it *does* work.

I received some older firmware files from iSimple that I will be loading to see if they make any difference (I loaded the newest firmware onto the device after removing it from the MDX and before installing it into the TL). I will be reporting that information back to iSimple and will post notes here as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for checking this out. It has always been a frustrating thing for me to have to hold the steering wheel button. I normally just use the +/- key on the radio face, next to the right big knob.

I would think they could change the function of that button. They just need a TL to test with. That steering wheel button has to send a specific signal back to the PXAMG, they just have to figure out what that signal looks like, then remap it on their PXAMG software to change the track, instead of doing the 'random' thing.

Thanks
Let us know what they say.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

nalek: I "sort of" agree.

I agree with what you're driving at, in principle. Here's where we deviate: The PXAMG is not a TL device, it's a device that works in the TL. To that end, they have to program the code in more general terms.

My understanding, after talking with tech support, is that the device requires a "tune" signal to change tracks as opposed to a "go to the next / previous radio preset" signal. While I certainly have not driven every kind of car out there, every vehicle that I have driven with steering wheel radio controls seems to use a "go to the next preset" as a short preset. So, I'm back in agreement with you that they could certainly have written the firmware to look for this code.

Or, at the very least, it seems they could have made that particular option programmable via a dip switch setting and allow the end user to decide how it would operate in THEIR particular vehicle.

Believe me - I want the short press to skip tracks. It's how it worked in my MDX, and it's the option that makes sense to me. And, I hate the long press that I'm required to use now in the TL.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I see what you're saying. I really have no idea, but that was my best guess..

I know the DIP switches can be used to tell it that I use a different cable than the base TL (since mine is a TypeS), so I agree, they should be able to program it differently if that is how they wanted to go about it.

if nothing else, I cant imagine *any* steering wheel control that doesn't have the same sort of function (changing presets).. So maybe all they need to do is remap the "Change preset" signal from Random/playlist browse to changing tracks..

Hopefully they will still consider implementing a fix for this...
Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by meburdick
nalek: I "sort of" agree.

I agree with what you're driving at, in principle. Here's where we deviate: The PXAMG is not a TL device, it's a device that works in the TL. To that end, they have to program the code in more general terms.

My understanding, after talking with tech support, is that the device requires a "tune" signal to change tracks as opposed to a "go to the next / previous radio preset" signal. While I certainly have not driven every kind of car out there, every vehicle that I have driven with steering wheel radio controls seems to use a "go to the next preset" as a short preset. So, I'm back in agreement with you that they could certainly have written the firmware to look for this code.

Or, at the very least, it seems they could have made that particular option programmable via a dip switch setting and allow the end user to decide how it would operate in THEIR particular vehicle.

Believe me - I want the short press to skip tracks. It's how it worked in my MDX, and it's the option that makes sense to me. And, I hate the long press that I'm required to use now in the TL.
Quick quesiton: did loading any of the older firmware files make this behavior change?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

I never got around to trying any of them. I've been so busy with things that are more important, I've just learned to live with the way that it works (for now, anyhow).
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

Hey meburdick...have you tried those old firmware files peripheral sent you yet? I'm having the same frustrations w/ the steering wheel controls (wanting the skip track function like normal) and wanted to see if I should backdate my software or not. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

I haven't, and I won't be able to.

I got sick of the TL and it's now gone, too. My 2006 (bought new) was an awesome car. I traded it for a new 2008 MDX and that was pretty good to. As a cost-cutting measure, I decided to pick up a used 2008 TL and get rid of the MDX. While my car payment went down, my operating costs basically didn't change. So, what was the point of going to a used car, that someone else had NOT taken care of, and not actually like driving it?

My local dealer has gone to hell in a handbasket as well, so I won't be buying Acura again any time soon.

iSimple for sale... comes with the cable for a NAVI Traffic Acura...