iPod Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Mount

What is the absolute best iPod mount for the TL - money is no object!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw this on ebay and fell in love. I haven't bougth it because I don't really want to mount my ipod in clear view. but if you have black leather interior I think this is tops! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=lembowski]I saw this on ebay and fell in love. I haven't bougth it because I don't really want to mount my ipod in clear view. but if you have black leather interior I think this is tops! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...spagenameZWDVW

OK, on lembowski's recommendation ( ) I ordered one of these directly from kuda today. (yes it was more expensive than the ebay alternative but it gets here faster and includes the correct part for my phone/ipod). The fact that they showed my interior along with the black unit made me order the black (I liked how it looked against the tan).

The direct website is http://www.kudausa.com (from the US). If you want to see more pix and the install guide.

I'll install it when it arrives and report back.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

WOW! That is way cool. I gotta get me one o' those!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=rspoppel]
Originally Posted by lembowski
I saw this on ebay and fell in love. I haven't bougth it because I don't really want to mount my ipod in clear view. but if you have black leather interior I think this is tops! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...spagenameZWDVW

OK, on lembowski's recommendation ( ) I ordered one of these directly from kuda today. (yes it was more expensive than the ebay alternative but it gets here faster and includes the correct part for my phone/ipod). The fact that they showed my interior along with the black unit made me order the black (I liked how it looked against the tan).

The direct website is http://www.kudausa.com (from the US). If you want to see more pix and the install guide.

I'll install it when it arrives and report back.
How much did the cost work out. what add-ons do you need. It really looks cool. I have a TLo4 Anthracite with black seats
Old 03-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harry2307
How much did the cost work out. what add-ons do you need. It really looks cool. I have a TLo4 Anthracite with black seats
It seems that its in 2 parts - the main arm that attaches to the console and then the part that holds the device. The main peice was $56.

It looks like either you can get a generic "clamp" type holder in a number of sizes. They have a number of choices for the part - you can get a small (phone), medium (larger phone like Treo, IPOD, smaller PDA), or large (larger PDA, PSP, GPS, XM/Sirius unit, etc). That was like $9-12 dollars, then shipping. I bought the medium. Should be fine for the Treo, or IPOD, or RAZR. I hope it doesn't block the compartment that contains the power-port. I'll still be needing that. This unit is really just a holder - not a powered unit.

They also seem to have cradles for specific devices - at least it looks that way, these are probably more expensive.

Turns out it was under $80.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have one that is parchment leather that matches my interior and I love it. What's especially cool about it is that you can mount any type of device on top of it (phone/ipod/GPS..whatever).... and the installation of it involves literally one screw to mount it onto the car. That one screw does not go into anything though, it sort of clips under the plastic, so if you ever remove it it will leave no holes or marks on your car anywhere.

To put the "mount" onto the "base" you do drill into the base part, which is basically made of fiberglass that is covered in leather.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
5mins2disney.com

Oh..also..for mounting an iPod everyone seems to get these things call proclips, which I thought were stupid and looked terrible for 2 reasons... 1 is they clip on the heater vents...which looks bad... and blocks the vent, and it's not that great an idea to have heat blowing on your ipod... (yeah or cool)...

I just think they look cheap and cheesy.. my 2 cents.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gqchicago
I have one that is parchment leather that matches my interior and I love it. What's especially cool about it is that you can mount any type of device on top of it (phone/ipod/GPS..whatever).... and the installation of it involves literally one screw to mount it onto the car. That one screw does not go into anything though, it sort of clips under the plastic, so if you ever remove it it will leave no holes or marks on your car anywhere.

To put the "mount" onto the "base" you do drill into the base part, which is basically made of fiberglass that is covered in leather.
Well can you elaborate on the last statement "To put the "mount" onto the "base" you do drill into the base part, which is basically made of fiberglass that is covered in leather.[/QUOTE]
Do you have any pics to show where exactly you made a hole. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Trucki!!

Well can you elaborate on the last statement "To put the "mount" onto the "base" you do drill into the base part, which is basically made of fiberglass that is covered in leather.
Do you have any pics to show where exactly you made a hole. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Meaning you don't have to drill the hole. It is predrilled, all you do is fit the adapter mount into place and screw it on.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:21 PM
ABP TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had that installed in my car, works perfect...GOOD BUY
Old 03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
5mins2disney.com

I could take some pics later and show you, but no, the BASE is not pre-drilled. You buy the mount from them as a separate piece, and just drill the base out where you want it mounted. I would mount the base in my car and then position the bracket where you like it, THEN drill the base (I did it the opposite way and now I wish my bracket were 3/8" to the right, but it's still ok).

Basically though, the base comes completely blank, and it's fiberglass underneath, so you drill it out whereever you'd like, which also means you could mount just about anything on it, 3rd party, non-kuda brand brackets, whatever you'd like.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gqchicago
I could take some pics later and show you, but no, the BASE is not pre-drilled. You buy the mount from them as a separate piece, and just drill the base out where you want it mounted. I would mount the base in my car and then position the bracket where you like it, THEN drill the base (I did it the opposite way and now I wish my bracket were 3/8" to the right, but it's still ok).

Basically though, the base comes completely blank, and it's fiberglass underneath, so you drill it out whereever you'd like, which also means you could mount just about anything on it, 3rd party, non-kuda brand brackets, whatever you'd like.

Well I am not too much into doing stuff myself. What did you use to drill a hole. Any particular tool you would recommend.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Trucki!!

Well I am not too much into doing stuff myself. What did you use to drill a hole. Any particular tool you would recommend.
Sorry not to be too sarcastic, but I would use a drill and a drill bit according to the size of screws you would be using.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know if you can use the swivel arm with the standard mounting base or is the swivle arm suction only?

Id like to add the swivel arm in between the device cradle and the base so i can raise my ipod and tilt it towards me.

Here is the page with the swivel arm on it, its 19.99.

http://www.kudausa.com/addons.php

Thanks!

John
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced

I have the black kuda mount against a quartz interior and I love the way it looks and supports my ipod.... well worth the extra shekels
Old 03-10-2006, 02:35 PM
5mins2disney.com

Here are some pics I took of the Kuda phone BASE and the smallest of the MOUNTS they sell. Note, the mount is adjustable width wise easily so i could put my phone or ipod in it and it "snugs" up to hold it in place.

The mount is actually 2 pieces, a base and the top of it... as you will see the base is screwed in, so you could use any Kuda mount on their base (I believe).

Also, the black mount piece has a nice "cutout" in the bottom that fits the charger plugin on the bottom of my cell phone, so it all sits in there nicely with the phone plugged into the car. I took a picture with my camera of the phone in the mount I will append later.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
yea i also love these when i saw them.....

but what happens if you have music link or the usa spec ipod???

the cable cant reach there
Old 03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
yea i also love these when i saw them.....

but what happens if you have music link or the usa spec ipod???

the cable cant reach there
Drill a small hole in the "top" of the little cubby hole in the lower console. Drop the cord there it is only a 1 1/2 - 2 foot span for the cord to reach. If you drill it in the top you won't be able to see the hole unless you feel with your hand up in there. This is also good cause you can just tuck the ipod and cord in there when you park
Old 03-10-2006, 07:19 PM
5mins2disney.com

Here are a few better pics of my setup.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Well I was going to take pictures of how I installed mine but I took it out of the box, and it just took like 5 minutes to get it into the car. You need to drill a total of 5 holes in the Kuda arm but none in the car itself.

There are 4 holds in the face where it mounts (someone showed a picture of the phone mount and then one in the bottom where it uses the clip to connect to the console.

The directions that they supply are substandard - fortunately you dont really need them. All in all I give it a

I selected the black on quartz, no problem closing any of the console compartments, selecting the radio station, accessing the power port, or even a passenger losing any space.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:08 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

After much consideration, I decide that the best moutn is no mount I wanted to keep clean OEM look and found that looking right and down is not very convinient, considering the small size of iPod fonts. So, my cable protrudes from the parking brake opening, and iPod lays on cupholder cover. I can pick it up and hold on the eye level if I need to see the screen, and any calbe slack can be tucked away by pushing it inside the center console.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I highly recommend ProclipUSA.com. They have two vehicle mounts for the TL. One is part of the center air vents and the other is the same place as the pics in this thread. It's somewhat on the expensive side, but doesn't require any screws. It's all double-sided tape and works great. The other cool thing is that you can hook up any of their device mounts to the vehicle mounts. I'll take a pic later tonight and put it on here for anyone thats curious. There are also good pics on their website.

Joe
Old 03-14-2006, 09:28 PM
P/T contract hitwoman

am i dumb or what about the dvd a/ipod thing

So....I'm reading this...and I LOVE the DVD-A thing. However, one of the main reasons I purchased an Ipod is so I didn't have to deal with cd's! Ive had thems stolen out of my car 2X. Not this one ....thank god. But, I love the way the dvd-a sounds. I have a kick ass h/k ipod hookup for my compy, not like the dvd-a but a close second. There is no way to get that sound out of my tl stereo with the ipod is there? I am not so down with the audio electronics and have bigger problems with my "new" TL. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
5mins2disney.com

Quake -

The Kuda doesn't really require any screws either...plus if you pull off 2-sided tape on your car you're going to have all kinds of residue to clean up, none with the Kuda.

I looked at Proclip and I really don't like the ones that clip on your vents, look cheap to me, not to mention they block the vents, and finally, it's not that great for an ipod or a hard drive to have stuff blowing on it all the time.

Not that I'm getting commission from anyone or anything, lol, just wanted to give people a decent alternative mount that has worked well for me.

Oh, you can mount anything you can imagine on these as well, yes you have to drill the Kuda base but not the car itself at any point.
For the price too I thought it was a great deal, guess it's just a matter of taste / opinion.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

for the money is no object here are the most stock looking ones available, they are built into were your cup holders are in the center console

http://www.jmlaudio.com/custom%20ipo...%20systems.htm

Old 03-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

for the money is no object here are the most stock looking ones available, they are built into were your cup holders are in the center console, they also have edgelit frosted plexiglass the match your factory guages the one shown is for a 2005 Infiniti G35

Old 04-05-2006, 09:24 PM
g-1
5th Gear

I just purchased this IPOD holder from KUDA to work with my IPOD Video and USASPEC.

I have already installed the USASPEC with the 'Head Unit' under my seat. I have hidden the wires and drilled a hold in the top cubby hold in the console area. Currenly my IPOD sits hidden in the top cubby. I've been looking for a good holder and came across this thread. I have also purchased the Swivel Arm as well. Hopefully this will help angle the IPOD up and towards me for better visibility. I will take pics and post them once I get it installed.

Here's the list of items and price. Kinda pricey, but hopefully it's worth it.

1 x 059042 ACURA - TL quartz 62.70
1 x 900003 Universal passive medium iPod/ 11.99
1 x 900005 Swivel mount for any of our ho 7.99
shipping + handling $ 9.50
total amount $ 92.18
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by JMLAudio
for the money is no object here are the most stock looking ones available, they are built into were your cup holders are in the center console, they also have edgelit frosted plexiglass the match your factory guages the one shown is for a 2005 Infiniti G35

WOW........that is by far the best intregation I've seen. Except for loosing the cupholders. If this is something that can be moved in and out easily, I would definately order one of these. i just emailed the guy there at jmlaudio to get pricing and some more information.