Old 01-04-2006 | 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

Pics Posted

Pictures of my Drive + Play set-up are posted here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...45#post1360945
Old 01-04-2006 | 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

User Guide Warnings

Has any one run into the trouble talked about in the user guide about the iPod getting lodged underneath the brake and/or gas pedal? Seems like I'll need to be careful about that.

(ok, only joking - stupid lawyers)

Ok - real quesiton - if you don't install the TTS software, do only discs 5 & 6 work?

FWIW - the weirdness reported when on shuffle all of it playing the announcement tracks is not limited to the Music Link. Folks with the Griffen iTrip will tell you this. Since the 'Set Frequency' command is also a track, the iPod will sometimes randomly play that, which then changes the freq of the iTrip, renderign silence if that is your interface. Someone once told me there was a way around it (to make the 'special' tracks not be part of the play list) but I never looked into it (since I don't use an iTrip).
Old 01-04-2006 | 02:42 PM
Instructor

umm does the music link charge the ipod as well?
Old 01-04-2006 | 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustinZ
umm does the music link charge the ipod as well?
and is the US music link the same as the canadian music link?

im having trouble finding the part in canada - so im thinking about just ordering one from the US but i wanna make sure i dont get a useless 200 dollar brick
Old 01-04-2006 | 03:01 PM
Wants an M3 in

^
Old 01-04-2006 | 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
^
to both questions?
Old 01-04-2006 | 09:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ddysart
Ok - real quesiton - if you don't install the TTS software, do only discs 5 & 6 work?

Yes.
Old 01-05-2006 | 01:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustinZ
to both questions?
so do TSXs come with XM?

if not then i think its safe to assume that a music link from the US will work in a canadian TL
Old 01-05-2006 | 03:48 PM
Racer

The last two loaner TSX's I have had XM and it was even active on the cars.
Old 01-05-2006 | 11:54 PM
2nd Gear

Friend of mine did the following on his volvo: ipod should not fully charged, connect to the link, turn the key on. He can control from his ipod. Can someone try this and let us know.
Old 01-06-2006 | 02:23 AM
Instructor

hmmm...if that works, the ipod integration might be worth it! Good find!
Old 01-06-2006 | 09:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by paulacuratl
Friend of mine did the following on his volvo: ipod should not fully charged, connect to the link, turn the key on. He can control from his ipod. Can someone try this and let us know.

Doesn't work. You get the "OK to Disconnect" as soon as you attach the iPod, no matter what position the key is in.
Old 01-06-2006 | 10:01 AM
05 TL

http://ipodlinux.org/Apple_Accessory...e_.28Mode_4.29

Too bad there isnt a way to keep the Ipod out of mode 4. It doesnt use the advanced features... But there arent any wires to cut to make it work.

I think I'm going to write a letter; telling acura that their attempt to integrate an ipod was a joke. They could have done better selling Acura branded head phones.
Old 01-06-2006 | 10:43 AM
9th Gear

I think you guys are overreacting. I see a lot of people say it's terrible, but I bet most of you don't have it. It's not that bad. A few reworkings of the playlist, and I can search for items pretty easily. I search genres/albums no problem. Once you get used to the controls, I'm at my desired album in like, 25 - 30 seconds. AND I don't even have to take my eyes off the road to do it because it tells me the name of the album/genre/playlist.

The sound quality is the best there is out there.

I was thinking like all of you when it first came out too. I just decided to eat the $350 I paid for it and get it anyway to see for myself. While it's dissapointing to not be able to see the song tracks, I got over that pretty quickly. More bling to see the Nav unit anyway
Old 01-06-2006 | 10:47 AM
Instructor

I prefer to be able to navigate to my desired album/song/playlist using the ipod controls though. I'd rather do an AUX in solution to have the good sound quality plus you retain the great navigation features of the ipod AND you can still see what's playing (and what you're navigating to)
Old 01-06-2006 | 11:04 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by millerrh
I prefer to be able to navigate to my desired album/song/playlist using the ipod controls though. I'd rather do an AUX in solution to have the good sound quality plus you retain the great navigation features of the ipod AND you can still see what's playing (and what you're navigating to)
Sure, if you don't mind taking your eyes off the road. It's pretty dangerous and irresponsible to do so though. As long as you can do what you gotta do, that's good. For me, that ipod screen is way too small. I'll definitely take my eyes off the road for too long.
Old 01-06-2006 | 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by takuto
Sure, if you don't mind taking your eyes off the road. It's pretty dangerous and irresponsible to do so though. As long as you can do what you gotta do, that's good. For me, that ipod screen is way too small. I'll definitely take my eyes off the road for too long.
That's a good point. Usually I just mess with it at a stoplight or something. The ultimate would be the combination of ipod AND voice control. That way you could use the ipod if you wanted or if you wanted to keep your eyes on the road, you could do it the way it is now. Theres got to be some way to disable the "OK to disconnect" thing...
Old 01-06-2006 | 11:42 AM
Chief

Don't know if this helps but my friend has a 30G I pod with the Belkin FM tune cast transmitter. All you have to do is set a frequency on the FM dial and it works and transmits fine through the car system. No wires everywhere.
Old 01-06-2006 | 11:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
Don't know if this helps but my friend has a 30G I pod with the Belkin FM tune cast transmitter. All you have to do is set a frequency on the FM dial and it works and transmits fine through the car system. No wires everywhere.
Sound quality is horrible with FM transmitters though.
Old 01-06-2006 | 03:24 PM
?'s call me (480)538-4600

We also recieved six of the complete units with kits. All Acura dealers were automatically sent six without ordering. The kits are availabe.
The correct fitment for these kits are only for the 06' model TL, RL, and MDX.
We are currently working on istalling a kit in the TL, and MDX 05' models to see if there are any problems.
If you have any questions regarding these kits feel free to e-mail me and i'll do the best to produce an answer.
I will also post up the results of our test fits.
Old 01-06-2006 | 05:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tim@acuranorthscottsdale
We also recieved six of the complete units with kits. All Acura dealers were automatically sent six without ordering. The kits are availabe.
The correct fitment for these kits are only for the 06' model TL, RL, and MDX.
We are currently working on istalling a kit in the TL, and MDX 05' models to see if there are any problems.
If you have any questions regarding these kits feel free to e-mail me and i'll do the best to produce an answer.
I will also post up the results of our test fits.
Thanks Tim. Acura North Scottsdale rocks. I've purchased two TLs there...an 05 & an 06.
Old 01-07-2006 | 02:37 AM
Instructor

i should get my kit next week

anybody know where i can get a good tutorial of taking apart the console?
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:50 AM
Safety Car

Question..............do i have to have navi for the music link? or can i install the navi after the ipod setup?
Old 01-18-2006 | 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tripinbeats
Question..............do i have to have navi for the music link? or can i install the navi after the ipod setup?
You don't need the NAVI for the MusicLink. For the most part, you cannot install the NAVI on a non-NAVI vehicle, but someone here has proved that wrong. There is another thread showing how they accomplished this.
Old 01-18-2006 | 04:10 PM
Instructor

Ok, for those of you out there wondering about the IPOD adapter and if it's worth getting it. I recently installed it on my 05 TL. IT works perfectly fine with it without any complications. At first it was only playing about 15 secs. of the song. I then realized that I hadn't install the Acura Link CD. I then intalled it and works perfectly fine now. For anyone out there that has XM currently and wonder if they would be able to keep XM and also add the adapter the answer is YES! There is a extra piece you would have to buy which is around $15 and it adds a extra female connector that allows you to plug in the XM and adpater. I know some people think it's not worth it but, I just like it because it still allows you to use you steering wheel controls with the IPOD. And one of the post on here that I read earlier said that it doesn't play all the songs on the IPOD but, it acutally does. I currently have over 1000 songs on it and I was listening to song #832 on the IPOD. But, over all I LOVE the adapter. I just have to figure somewhere else to put the ipod connector other then the glovebox. I'm thinking about running the wires to the top part of the middle console where the coin holder is at and putting it there. If I do it I'll try and post some pictures up.
Old 01-18-2006 | 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Usalinh
Ok, for those of you out there wondering about the IPOD adapter and if it's worth getting it. I recently installed it on my 05 TL. IT works perfectly fine with it without any complications. At first it was only playing about 15 secs. of the song. I then realized that I hadn't install the Acura Link CD. I then intalled it and works perfectly fine now. For anyone out there that has XM currently and wonder if they would be able to keep XM and also add the adapter the answer is YES! There is a extra piece you would have to buy which is around $15 and it adds a extra female connector that allows you to plug in the XM and adpater. I know some people think it's not worth it but, I just like it because it still allows you to use you steering wheel controls with the IPOD. And one of the post on here that I read earlier said that it doesn't play all the songs on the IPOD but, it acutally does. I currently have over 1000 songs on it and I was listening to song #832 on the IPOD. But, over all I LOVE the adapter. I just have to figure somewhere else to put the ipod connector other then the glovebox. I'm thinking about running the wires to the top part of the middle console where the coin holder is at and putting it there. If I do it I'll try and post some pictures up.
I know some people have waxed negatively about the controls...how does the navigation of the ipod music and such stack up? Is it difficult to get used to or what? What does the display read when youre playing music etc? Sorry if these have been answered...I have an '06 TL and have been looking forward to this adapter...
Old 01-18-2006 | 06:00 PM
Racer

If you look at page 2 of this thread, it shows the display and lists the controls
Old 01-19-2006 | 11:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bretter
I know some people have waxed negatively about the controls...how does the navigation of the ipod music and such stack up? Is it difficult to get used to or what? What does the display read when youre playing music etc? Sorry if these have been answered...I have an '06 TL and have been looking forward to this adapter...
On the steering wheel controls it is set-up like a regular cd is. Volume buttons for volume and the up and down channel are for the songs. You have to kind of remember what each disc # stands for. The disc numbers go from 1-6 an each number stands for something different. Song List, Albums, Genres and such. I'm still trying to get use to it but, in time I guess I'll figure it out. Just the cool factor of not having to have the IPOD out in plain sight in order to use the controls on the IPOD itself is well worth the $195 I spent on the whole IPOD intergration kit. For anyone out there that doesn't want to pay the dealership the $180 or so dollars they charge to instad the kit, you can take it to any qulified autoshop to have it installed for about $50. Since the kit is basicly plug and play all you have to do is get to the back of the radio.
Old 01-20-2006 | 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

Wow I wished I had known about this forum before I purchased my TL last week. I posted this earlier and went back to review it and was informed to repost. It looks like I'm may being redundant but to be honest I've spent to much time on this already so Other than I just talked to the ACURA service and customer service people who informed me I knew more than they did. Nothings changed. I did have some fun though. I informed them I was a pilot and would he (the company rep) go for a flight with me if I prepared for the flight and was as knowledgeable as he was. Silence. Click, If you'd like to make a call please hangup..... imagine that for customer service.

OH! Well enough whining here is the original post:
just purchased a 2006 Acura TL. I was excited about getting the Acura Music Link and it was as much of a sale closer as the car itself. My impression was voice control, and on screen views of artist, genre, songs, etc.

My dealer wasn't aware the product even existed. I went back to parts and lo and behold they had one in stock. Again no knowledge of how it works. The installed price was $350.00 considerably expensive especially considering my video iPod only cost $299.

Well here's the skinny. There is no display of artist genre songs just the same display you would have for a CD changer. It only works with 3rd and 4th generation iPods. And controlling it with voice is truly misleading. First you can't even select CD changer mode by voice. You add a iTunes add in and it searches the music titles and finds the first letter of the song, play list, genre, etc. You have to select the letter immediately after it is read. By the way it’s the Microsoft voice which it is barely intelligible. Then it begins with the first song genre album etc beginning with that letter. The play back through the audio system is phenomenal and you can change selections with CD radio and steering wheel controls.

Well I have 855 items and 20 days of music how useable is that. I've got to tell you how disappointing this is. The solution I‘ve come to is to blow off the audio read backs. I have a older 3rd generation iPod I only download one audio book from audible.com and just a small selection of music and that way I have some control over what I’m listening to.

This really took the shine off buying the new car. Which I've grown accustomed to dealing with Acura dealers. I have gone to the local dealer here in New Orleans with cash in my wallet 6 times in the last 4 years to buy an Acura for either myself of my family only to walk out and buy a different car. I even drove 3 hours to another dealer to experience just a slightly improved customer experience. I have been disappointed with every Acura dealership that I have walked into. I was told I had to buy $2500 worth of trunk trays paint protection locking wheel nuts etc. It wasn’t until I walked out the door was I run down and given the car for the price I wanted. It took 9 hours to install the iPod link and prepare the car for delivery.

Okay enough whining I still love the car there are complex workarounds for the iPod music link and the sound is phenomenal. But if you think your getting “seamless integration” will be sadly disappointed. If I had to do it over again I would buy the monster FM modulated attachment for $75 and buy another iPod with the left over money. If you look at the earlier post showing the installation manual for this kit is at best $20 dollars worth of cables
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:19 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Question for everyone: where is the cheapest place to by Music Link? I wanted to wait until spring, but decided to take advantage of a warm winter while it lasts.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gt1
Question for everyone: where is the cheapest place to by Music Link? I wanted to wait until spring, but decided to take advantage of a warm winter while it lasts.
I got mine from here: Acura of Escondido 205 shipped.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:45 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Thanks, but they closed their shop for a while
Old 01-20-2006 | 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gt1
I got mine for around 190 shipped from Tim at www.hondaacuraworld.com It was the best price I could find.
Old 01-20-2006 | 02:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gt1
Thanks, but they closed their shop for a while
They are re-opening on the 23rd or 24th. But it looks like hondaacuraworld beat their price. Dan did that include the install kit and Y harness or was that just for the Music Link? I got all three items for 205
Old 01-20-2006 | 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by peterbanks
They are re-opening on the 23rd or 24th. But it looks like hondaacuraworld beat their price. Dan did that include the install kit and Y harness or was that just for the Music Link? I got all three items for 205
I haven't recieved it yet. It should be here today. I was told by Tim that all three items were included in that price.
Old 01-21-2006 | 05:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan.....k
I haven't recieved it yet. It should be here today. I was told by Tim that all three items were included in that price.
Dan...did you receive it yet ? Let us know how the install goes.
Old 01-21-2006 | 12:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Usalinh
I then realized that I hadn't install the Acura Link CD. I then intalled it and works perfectly fine now. For anyone out there that has XM currently and wonder if they would be able to keep XM and also add the adapter the answer is YES! There is a extra piece you would have to buy which is around $15 and it adds a extra female connector that allows you to plug in the XM and adpater.
does the cd need to be in the dash radio? i don't understand what it's for...
...what's the xtra piece look like? do u have a part#? i just recieved 3pcs fro AofE and want to make sure i've got what i need to keep XM..
-thnx
Old 01-21-2006 | 01:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mbwmn
does the cd need to be in the dash radio? i don't understand what it's for...
...what's the xtra piece look like? do u have a part#? i just recieved 3pcs fro AofE and want to make sure i've got what i need to keep XM..
-thnx
The CD is for your COMPUTER. It is a TTS (Text-to-Speach) plug-in for iTunes that updates your iPod for use with the Music Link.

You should have 3 pieces.

Music Link Adapter Kit - P/N 08A28-1H2-100

Attachment Kit - P/N 08A28-1H1-800

Bus Cable 2 Port - P/N 08A31-0F1-000

Installation Instructions here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mwyche...od_Install.pdf

This will allow you to add the iPod interface and keep your XM as well.

This install is not for everybody. You should look at the instructions very carefully to determine if you are up to the task.

jjh1234
Old 01-21-2006 | 06:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjh1234
The CD is for your COMPUTER. It is a TTS (Text-to-Speach) plug-in for iTunes that updates your iPod for use with the Music Link.

You should have 3 pieces.

Music Link Adapter Kit - P/N 08A28-1H2-100

Attachment Kit - P/N 08A28-1H1-800

Bus Cable 2 Port - P/N 08A31-0F1-000

Installation Instructions here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mwyche...od_Install.pdf

This will allow you to add the iPod interface and keep your XM as well.

This install is not for everybody. You should look at the instructions very carefully to determine if you are up to the task.

jjh1234
thnks for posting the instructions, but i got those. they didn't indicate the TTS feature...
...i'll be cracking the dash/console for the musiclink + comptech shifter install soon. looks time consuming; perhaps 1-2 hrs first time around.

thnx again
Old 01-21-2006 | 08:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mbwmn
thnks for posting the instructions, but i got those. they didn't indicate the TTS feature...
...i'll be cracking the dash/console for the musiclink + comptech shifter install soon. looks time consuming; perhaps 1-2 hrs first time around.

thnx again

Depending on your skill level, you may need more than 1-2 hours. One member of this board has been PMing me for hints for the last 12 Hours. LOL.

jjh1234

Quick Reply: IPod integration kit available!!!