iPod Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPod Clarification

Ok,

After reading through a bunch of iPod threads . . . I'm confused. For a TL with Navi . . . If you don't want to use the XM radio, can you directly connect an iPod using one of the 3rd party adapters? Or do you lose the touchscreen functionality of the Navi?

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 03-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

No. I have a TL with nav. No one (that I know of) has any adapter that will connect an iPod through the nav system. The nav system stays unchanged.

You will connect the iPod through (1) a cassette adapter or (2) an FM transmitter you attach to the iPod.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

The cassette adapter is easy to install - you just stick the adapter into the cassette slot. But the connecting wire is unsightly. You do get a pretty high fidelity. I've used this approach for almost two years.

The FM transmitter sounds like the perfect compromise. But it can be hard to find an unused FM frequency. Plus, you have to have a line-of-sight picture to your FM antenna. It doesn't matter that the FM radio is inches away. For reasons that I don't quite understand, the FM approach doesn't work out well in the real world. The signal fades in and out. And, the fidelity is limited to that of the built-in FM radio - which isn't that great.

Whatever you do, only the Acura's built in volume control will work with the iPod. For everything else, you will use the iPod's controls. You will use the iPod's controls to start and stop the playing, change songs and change albums.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks,

That's pretty much what I thought. I just wanted to be sure.

I think I'll wait until someone makes an adapter, be it Acura or any other manufacturer, before I go the cassette or FM route.

Oh yeah, I have to actually buy a TL first too.

-Brian