ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ipod

Anybody found a really good fm transmitter for the ipod that works with absolutely no distortion and frequency disturbances. I have a griifen that I bought a year ago and it worked great on the default 87.9. Then something changed and I can't seem to make it work very well at the best of times. I find everytime I pick up the ipod my body seems to make a better connection, but the moment I put it back down I get the background noises. I want to buy a newbfm transmitter but am leary of BS salespeople. Also can the ipod be hooked up direct to the sound system easily?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Wireless fm modulators are never going to work "with absolutely no distortion and frequency disturbances."

If that's your goal, try a hard wired modulator. Those plug inline between your antenna and stereo. I used one on my old Maxima (which had no ability to add a direct aux input), and it worked fine. The sound quality was better than good fm stations.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by barry stevens
Anybody found a really good fm transmitter for the ipod that works with absolutely no distortion and frequency disturbances. I have a griifen that I bought a year ago and it worked great on the default 87.9. Then something changed and I can't seem to make it work very well at the best of times. I find everytime I pick up the ipod my body seems to make a better connection, but the moment I put it back down I get the background noises. I want to buy a newbfm transmitter but am leary of BS salespeople. Also can the ipod be hooked up direct to the sound system easily?
Tape's sound better than FM transmitters if you wanna try that route.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lembowski
Tape's sound better than FM transmitters if you wanna try that route.

Except for the click-clacking that you almost always get when using tape adapters. I've tried to find one that doesn't do that, but I've never had any luck.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 PM
7th Gear

Can you hard wire the ipod in?

I am looking to hook up my ipod. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
just browse this audio forum... many options; there are many "hardwire" solution such as the USA spec way or even some bluetooth transmitters (dont recommend).... there are many solutions
Old 05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

MusicLink is my first choice. It's an option from Acura to connect your iPod. The cheesy voice-activated navigation can go, but it's direct connected and sounds great.

Second choice is a tape. Definitely sounds better than those FM transmitters.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 PM
7th Gear

MusicLink?

Is that done by the dealership? If so do you know how much?

Thanks

Kinger
Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Many members will tell you that you should stay away from the MusicLink. Do a search for "USA Spec PA11-HON2," which has really gotten a lot of attention lately.

Even better, here is the main thread for the USA Spec PA11-HON2.

Another product that people like is the BlitzSafe HON/M-Link1 V.2X, but currently people are having unresolved issues with it and the '06 TL.

Many threads on here about them guys. Welcome to the forum but please try searching first.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Hello,

I researched this issue not too long ago. Yes, people said the Acura Music Link was horrible, because:

1) It does not display iPod track information on the navigation screen (or even radio screen); and
2) It's hard to navigate through songs.

Nonetheless, I found a good deal on eBay and bought it. Installation cost me $200.00 at the Acura dealership, for a total cost of about $350.00.

I must say, the sound quality is incredible... much better than the FM modulator I had used earlier. It's true that the USA Spec and other products compete with the Acura Music Link, but I've read about some major problems with those products, such as lack of compatibility with the Acura TL (a current thread discusses this), bleeding of XM sound on the iPod connection, and more.

In the end, I have a factory-installed solution that produces no bleed or compatibility issues. I retained my XM radio subscription. It sounds incredible. My warranty is intact. I can remove it when I want to (assuming something better comes along.) And best of all, it wasn't too expensive.

So, needless to say, I am a fan of the Acura Music Link. Once you get used to navigating your music, it's not a bad solution.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
7th Gear

thank you

I appreciate the input.

Kinger