iPhone 5/USA Spec/Lightning Plug Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Chapter Leader (Arkansas)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
iPhone 5/USA Spec/Lightning Plug Adapter

If you have a USA Spec in your car and recently transitioned to the iPhone 5 (or plan on it), read on.

I have the USA Spec PA15-HON3 Interface w/Text Display. The charge/play iPod plug (shown below) is for the iPhone 30-pin connector (iPhone 3 and 4 models).

Name:  Lighteningadaptor4.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  84.7 KB

As most of you know (at least the Apple folks), the new iP5 no longer uses a 30-pin. I finally received my iPhone 5 "lightning" adapter yesterday (technically referred to as the "Lightning to 30-pin Adapter"). Below, you can see a comparison between the two.

Name:  Lighteningadaptor1.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  Lighteningadaptor3.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Lighteningadaptor2.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  66.2 KB

Below is the set-up now. My primary concern was making sure I didn't lose any functions (e.g., HFL; music muting when call is received or made; phone still charging; text display still working; controlling functions using steering wheel buttons, etc.). A few positive things: 1) Because of the design of the USA Spec plug, the lightning adapter is "locked" to the original plug; therefore, when you disconnect the iP5 from the adapter, the adapter remains connected to the Spec plug rather than staying connected to the phone, and 2) the new lightning adapter connects to the phone without having to remove the Otterbox (in case you use one like I do). So, if you were curious about the iP5 and the ability to continue using the USA Spec with all its original functions, it works.

Special note: This only addresses the USA Spec model listed above. I am also using iOS 6.0.1 on my iP5.

Name:  Lighteningadaptor.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  72.3 KB
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Im curious to see how long these last before they break.

The old design seems more stable.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
I got my 30-pin to lightning cable adapter yesterday. I was concerned about fitting through my case so that's why I got the cable adapter instead of the one you got.

did you notice a change in sound quality? it's not a good as it was before since the D/A converter is in the adapter. I'm playing around with the EQ settings and the sound check switch, but it's still nowhere near as clean as it sounded with my Blitzsafe adapter and my iphone 4.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewA
I got my 30-pin to lightning cable adapter yesterday. I was concerned about fitting through my case so that's why I got the cable adapter instead of the one you got.

did you notice a change in sound quality? it's not a good as it was before since the D/A converter is in the adapter. I'm playing around with the EQ settings and the sound check switch, but it's still nowhere near as clean as it sounded with my Blitzsafe adapter and my iphone 4.
For me, the sound is exactly the same...crystal clear...cd quality. While you would have to fork over another $29.99, you may want to try the 30-pin lightning adapter vs. the cable. If you ordered the Apple cable, I would simply return it and request a swap. Keep in mind that you would have to compare apples to apples (pun intended). This assumes you are running the same exact set-up as me. If not, the variables change, which could (and probably does) explain why your sound has diminished. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone 5 behaving wildly?

Hello! My iPhone 5 PA15-HON3 and lightning adapter were functioning great until recently. Now, playback gets stuck in a continuous "Next" cycle, bouncing from track to track very fast.

Has anybody else experienced this and found a solution? So far, a new cable has not done the trick.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bshafiei
Hello! My iPhone 5 PA15-HON3 and lightning adapter were functioning great until recently. Now, playback gets stuck in a continuous "Next" cycle, bouncing from track to track very fast.

Has anybody else experienced this and found a solution? So far, a new cable has not done the trick.

Thanks!
I've not experienced this personally. With that said, if you've already replaced the cable, you could probably rule that out as the cause. Unfortunately, when dealing with technology, there are just too many potential culprits. So, here are a few things I would check, if I were you:

1) I don't know where you placed the box itself, but you may want to check the settings (perhaps the box got hit and one of the switches moved).
2) When your phone is not plugged in to the car, does it mimic the symptoms you describe when listening to music?
3) Perhaps you should probably wipe clean your iPhone and reload from scratch (easy to do). Believe it or not, I do this about once a month. It takes me about 30 minutes to do this. I feel more comfortable working with a "newer" phone without potential issues with bugs, viruses, or even malware/sypware. Smartphones are susceptible to the same problems as other computers.
4) If you rule out everything above and issues persist, it may be the box unit itself or even the head-unit, though I doubt the latter.
5) One last thing just hit me, have you adjusted the phone settings recently, such as "Music?" There is a setting under "Music" that allows you to "Shake to Shuffle." If the phone is bumped while listening to music, it will automatically change songs. I leave this option off for annoyance reasons, particularly when working in my yard while listening to music.

Just trying to help...
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you purchase an OEM lighting adapter? I purchased a cable from ebay that that connects to the old school plug on one end and at the other end it has the lighting charge cable plus the aux cable and it didnt work. It was a couple of bucks so i went for it.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JorEL1719
Did you purchase an OEM lighting adapter? I purchased a cable from ebay that that connects to the old school plug on one end and at the other end it has the lighting charge cable plus the aux cable and it didnt work. It was a couple of bucks so i went for it.
I purchased the lightening adapter directly from Apple.