Interference with Aftermarket Amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interference with Aftermarket Amp

I hooked up two LOC and noticed that i have a buzzing noise with the engine off mainly through the components. When the car is turned on its worst and you can here it whine when you press the gas. With the gain turned up, it gets louder. Do you think a ground loop adaptor on the LOC's will fix this? Any advise?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Instructor

no one?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
It should. But it is really a symptom of another problem. You need to check to make sure your amps are grounded correctly and very solid.
You need to make sure your RCA's are as far away from the power wires as possible (other side of car)

Stuff like that.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Instructor

amp ground was mounted in the rear with a OEM ground. Power wire was run along the drivers side and rca on the passengers side
Old 09-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's something else to check...

I recently did a stereo upgrade in my TL-S (Rockford amp and Focal components).
When I first completed the job, it sounded like absolute crap...

After 3 hours of troublshooting, I found a handful of issues;

1. One of the LOC units had a loose connection in , and was grounding-out. I had to take it apart and re-solder the line-in plug.

2. One of the Rockford RCA cables I was using had a short in it, and was causing my right channel to ground-out (check your cables, even if they're brand new and good quality ones).

3. After I fixed the two above issues, it sounded great... until I started the car, and got the annoying alternator whine. I had the power wires running down the drivers side and the RCA's on the passenger side. I had the amp well grounded to the chassis, but I just couldn't get the whine to stop. After buggering around with it for a while, I was moving some of the wires around right near the amplifier. I guess I must've had one of the RCA's crossing directly over top of (or too near to) the power wire when I brought them all into the amp. As soon as I separated them... problem gone. My system sounds wicked now. No distortion, no whining.

Just some ideas to check...

Jimmy