Image Dynamics CTX65CS. Anyone try these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
Actually, now that I reread it, when bridged at 4 ohms, it's 2 by 340 Watts...nevermind, I might have enough juice for these!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah, the hifonics will work.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM

sweet deal, man...didn't even realize I had that kind of power in that amp.

please post up the link of the ebay mdf rings that will work perfectly with these. I'd definitely pick the, and some molding clay up along with a little more dampener.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I'll post it up tomorrow. He's opening them for purchase tomorrow. 340 will be plenty. I wish I had the amp/ power to run active though. I'll be sending mine about 220 from my pdx100.4. Like I said though, it's all for nothing unless your fully deadened and sealed with MLV or Overkill
Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
I'll post it up tomorrow. He's opening them for purchase tomorrow. 340 will be plenty. I wish I had the amp/ power to run active though. I'll be sending mine about 220 from my pdx100.4. Like I said though, it's all for nothing unless your fully deadened and sealed with MLV or Overkill
Save up for one of these
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...amplifier.html
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
To be honest, I really didn't think the massive audio ebay people would accept such a low offer. I will likely resell them immediately because I've read they are SUPER power hungry, the tweeters might be too bright and the mid would require some serious cutting of the door.

So I'd still like to take IHC's offer up on these image dynamics and give them whirl.
Sorry, PM box is cleared. Offer is still good for the IDs, I'll get some pics tomorrow. I have them at work in a box because they almost went in the company vehicle but I decided against it. I haven't been able to get on here as much, my Droid II Global took a dump for the millionth time.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Mm. Yeah i wish! That new ZED Levanthian looks sexy though

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Sorry, PM box is cleared. Offer is still good for the IDs, I'll get some pics tomorrow. I have them at work in a box because they almost went in the company vehicle but I decided against it. I haven't been able to get on here as much, my Droid II Global took a dump for the millionth time.
That sucks

SENT FROM MY IPHONE4
Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 PM

So I got my RK6's on Wednesday. Had a chance to install today. Took 8 hours...and did it right the first time. A bit bigger than my Hifonics mids...was running these with no crossover and stock tweet. Here's the setThe tweeter, didn't want to cut up dash or go too crazy, with the bottom removed, I glued the top on with a hot glue gun. Looks weird from this angle, but I promise it looks good and doesn't draw attention, which is what I wanted. I had already prewired the passenger side once, and cut the metal opening bigger so that side went easy/smooth. Just added more deadener INSIDE the door skin as well as any bigger areas of metal that might reverberate. Not too difficult. Hoping it helps a little with road noise too. The rings I had jigsawed out of plywood for the hifonics got the job done without issue. Running the wiring thru kick area into the doors was interesting. Ended up using the dremel to cut a little channel to run the wire thru, cut it within the area where the rubber grommet covers so it's still weatherproof. Did solder and heatshrink on all connections. I'm too old to have to spend double the time looking for loose connections etc so I take a little extra and git er done right the first time. Also, didn't have any nonhardening clay, but I DID have a tub of plumber's putty so I shoved it all around the areas where air might escape. Should do the trick. IHC, if you're still into it, I would still be interested in checking out those ID's for the rear stage if you're still pretty sure you won't be using them. I tried bridging to the fronts, but I am too used to feeling surrounded by music, I don't like how just a strong front sounds. My infinity speakers are struggling to keep up and I think the ID's would be perfect.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Ok, my impressions...WOW. These speakers are LOUD and can take a lot of juice. I tried bridging 340 watts rms to them 2 channel, but was getting a high level whine and also I didn't like not having the rears. I kept the rears at the same level and juiced these up a bit using the amp and I have to say that my car sounds absolutely amazing, super crisp, clear and my ears are actually the limiting factor with turning the music up now. Usually, the speakers I've had in the past...I turn the gain up to whatever they can handle and they distort before they're uncomfortably loud. These speakers get crisp and clear and loud with no distortion and I have to turn it back down. MIds are STRONG and can take what you give em...highs are crisp and bright (turned treble down a bit to balance but it's perfect). Not tinny at all. Exactly what I wanted. Don't know why I was running such a ghetto setup for so long knowing my front speakers were my weakest link.

Last edited by rockstar143; 05-14-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: fixing my double post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, my impressions...WOW. These speakers are LOUD and can take a lot of juice. I tried bridging 340 watts rms to them 2 channel, but was getting a high level whine and also I didn't like not having the rears. I kept the rears at the same level and juiced these up a bit using the amp and I have to say that my car sounds absolutely amazing, super crisp, clear and my ears are actually the limiting factor with turning the music up now. Usually, the speakers I've had in the past...I turn the gain up to whatever they can handle and they distort before they're uncomfortably loud. These speakers get crisp and clear and loud with no distortion and I have to turn it back down. MIds are STRONG and can take what you give em...highs are crisp and bright (turned treble down a bit to balance but it's perfect). Not tinny at all. Exactly what I wanted. Don't know why I was running such a ghetto setup for so long knowing my front speakers were my weakest link.
How are the tweets?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM

I won't claim to be a huge audiophile...but they are the best, loudest, least painful and tinny, clearest I've ever put in my car.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Drifting

He's better off with the focals since he's going with the t400-2
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Hey IHC...tried PM'ing you but full.

Hey Matt,

Fair is fair...took the liberty of sending you an extra $11.80 to pay for the additional shipping to make sure you ended up with the $20 we talked about. I appreciate the deal you gave me and look forward to installing in the rear deck in the next few weekends.

Thanks again for a helluva deal.
Jeremy.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Hey IHC...tried PM'ing you but full.

Hey Matt,

Fair is fair...took the liberty of sending you an extra $11.80 to pay for the additional shipping to make sure you ended up with the $20 we talked about. I appreciate the deal you gave me and look forward to installing in the rear deck in the next few weekends.

Thanks again for a helluva deal.
Jeremy.
That's really awesome! I don't know what happened but I miscalculated shipping and ended up making about $8 off of them. Not your fault so I wasn't going to say anything. I really appreciate it, you didn't have to do that. Hope they work out well for you.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Brother, that happened to me once on ebay...forgot to specify continental US and ended up selling to Puerto Rico. Made like $20 on a brand new amp...I felt so stupid.

You had given me such a great deal, it was the least I could do.

Thanks again, take care. I'll let you know how I like it when I install.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Today I installed the Image Dynamic speakers I bought from IHC in the rear.

Great speakers, can take a bit less than the massive audio's as far as bass frequency before distortion and loudness, but they pair up very well with them for my rear fill now. Those, along with the 12's in the back, balance out very well to sound very nice, crisp, loud and clear.

Very very happy.

Install took me quite a while...put some focus into finding any and all rattles while I had the back out. Found the upper bracket for the center seat belt was rattling a bit, so added some deadener under it, also behind the headrests the the little doors to the anchor system were making noise so I opened them. And in the hole where the factory sub was there was a weird vibrating noise, shoved some slivers of wood in there to stop that.

Built some MDF baffles...not my best work, but got the job done. Mounted the MDF to the factor 3 holes, then filled in with plumber's putty, and predrilled the holes for the 4 screws that hold the speaker in. That way I could hand tighten with my stubby screwdriver in the limited space. Perfect fit.

tied the tweeters up using string and screws to the center hole where the sub used to be, didn't want to cut the rear shelf if I didn't have to, I know the imaging probably isn't perfect, but it puts the clear sound out where it needs to be, between the rear head rests.

cut away the extra plastic baffle as it wouldn't fit over my new mdf one

and here are the mids, installed...

Forgot to snap a pic, but I installed the crossovers between the rear seat and my sub box, won't move around there, accessible from the pass thru etc and didn't want anything extra to rattle up on the shelf up top.

Took about 6 hours to do everything, but well worth it, those 10 year old infinity entry level couldn't keep up at all with the massive's up front, even as rear fill. These image dynamics fit the bill perfectly. Thanks again for the deal IHC, much appreciated!

J.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Glad you like them. I was a little worried. Interesting the Massives take more bass without distortion. That makes me feel good because I'm starting to put some power to the SK-6 center and bringing the crossover point down around 63hz with mine and so far it's awesome. Those Massives are already earning quite a reputation for bass all over the internet. I didn't know that when I got mine but that's a big plus. I've heard great things about the bass ability of my SK-6, I have to assume that yours are quite a bit better still.

If you're not running the tweeter on the IDs I don't think you need the passives (not sure if you're using them or not). I'm pretty sure the passives just pass the full signal through to the woofers and they use the natural roll off up top.

I have to ask, how much power are you feeding them and what's the high pass? I was never able to distort them even with well past the rated RMS and full range. I actually tried to distort them and couldn't. Either way, sounds like they're a great fit for rear fill. Looking forward to any updates.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Thanks man, yeah, pic 2 above is my ghetto faulous way of holding them in place shooting thru the factory sub mesh area.

Well, in fairness to the speakers...I was playing Ludacris' "how low can you go" when that happened, and I have YET to find a speaker (mid) that won't distort to that. Every other song sounds splendid. I'm not TOO familiar with frequency yet, I do understand lower the frequency the more deep/bass etc. I'm running them ALL (the massives too) off of a 5 or 6 year old hifonics zeus amp. Rated at 4x170RMS at 4 ohms with gain about 5/8 of the way up. I'll tinker a bit, but I'm SUPER happy. Thanks again, Matt. I appreciate it.