If you have a 2004 TL, upgrade your HFL!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, called the dealer and they said just come on by and well take care of you. Will be great not having to shout out commands!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got the HFL replaced on Friday. It works much better now - no more adding numbers and stuff. They didn't know of any newer version or anything but they went ahead and just did it and it seems to have worked. I hope they installed the correct module!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum13
Got the HFL replaced on Friday. It works much better now - no more adding numbers and stuff. They didn't know of any newer version or anything but they went ahead and just did it and it seems to have worked. I hope they installed the correct module!
Can you please tell us if you have early 04 model or late 04 model? I have all these problems with HFL and tried to convince the dealer to fix, but they refused saying something like "the technology is not perfect but we cannot do anything about that". I have late 04 model though.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by avlcat
Can you please tell us if you have early 04 model or late 04 model? I have all these problems with HFL and tried to convince the dealer to fix, but they refused saying something like "the technology is not perfect but we cannot do anything about that". I have late 04 model though.
Don't take no for an answer from them. Print out this thread and hand it to them and/or call Acura client services.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by avlcat
I suggest you talk to a different service advisor or a different dealership altogether. If you're having a problem and your car is under warranty, it is their responsibility to try to fix it! While I do have an early 04 model, the fact that you're having the same problems speaks for itself.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The TSB above mentions HFL modules with a date prior to AUG 2004.. Look at your module, if you have issues and yours was manufactured prior to Aug 04, the TSB states to "REPLACE". If the module is newer than Aug I would say you're out of luck..

Looks / reads like it should be a done deal if you have an early 04 TL/HFL module..
Old 08-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Cruisin'

I got my replacement scheduled for next Monday, I'm hoping it fixes all of the above issues! Anyone ever have bluetooth probs with their blackberries?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by johnnybn
I got my replacement scheduled for next Monday, I'm hoping it fixes all of the above issues! Anyone ever have bluetooth probs with their blackberries?
I have an 8700c and once in awhile the phone does not get registered by the HFL. After restarting the car, it shows up.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Modeler
Don't know. Here's what I can tell you: my HFL now understands my accented English 100% of the time for voice tags (used to be about 60% of the time), 100% for "YES" (used to be about 60-70%), about 90-95% for digits when I ask it to Dial a new number (used to be about 10-20%; so a HUGE improvement here). And I can now speak commands in the normal voice, whereas I always had to yell before.

So if you have a 2005 and your performance is significantly worse than my new performance above, you may be able to claim bad HFL and request a new one.

One word of caution: I did not phrase my request to the service department as "upgrade". I have described the poor performance that I was experiences and then said something to the effect that I read that there is a "new version of the HFL module that addresses these issues." They didn't give me any grief over it.

By the way, I read about the upgraded module somewhere here on Acurazine awhile ago. I also read about the final fix for the engine dronning at low RPM here. The new HFL was installed on the same visit as they installed the new engine mounts to address the dronning. When I picked up my car, I couldn't believe it - the car was better than when I picked it up new!!!
Could you tell me about the motor mounts for the low RPM Droning? My dealer is saying "huh??" with the well-rehearsed mechanic's shrug, and I need to point him in the right direction. If nothing could you please tell what dealer knows about this procedure so that I could have him call that dealer? Thanks - Noel
Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 PM
04' TL Anthracite w/ NAVI

HFL replacment for certain 04 vin#'s

Had my HFL unit replaced three weeks ago - I learned about it on the AZ forum and it is considered a Service Bulletin and not a recall. My dealership gave me a slight hassle and I described the symptoms of the HFL locking up and having to pull over - to restart the engine in order for it to reset the HFL lock-up. It was such a nuisance especially when I had clients in the car or when travelling. I had all the symptoms described in the previous posts.

After the unit was replaced - it works flawlessly. Definitely worth it......I use Bluetooth religiously in my TL.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Cruisin'

I have an 8700c and once in awhile the phone does not get registered by the HFL. After restarting the car, it shows up.
I've got the new 7130c model through Cingular, and I have all kinds of problems. Almost every other time I initiate a call through HFL, it drops off of HFL and continues on the phone. Needless to say, it's extremely annoying. I've ordered a warranty replacement for the phone and set up a replacement for my HFL. Hopefully the nuke-and-pave of both systems will fix it.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

DONE !!

1st thing I notice is faster voice feedback response time.
Made 4 calls and it hasn't messed up yet!

You have re-enter your phone book all over again, but the improvement I've observed so far is worth it.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:31 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

4 Days After HFL Replacement

Still good to go! Always understands my call commands, and it definitely responds faster than before. There was one occassion where I made an outgoing call and simultaneously coincidentaly had an incoming call from the same # I was calling where the HFL disconnected itself from the phone and the phone icon dissappeared from the display on top of the dash. The connection restored itself after about a minute or so.

In re-entering the phonebook however, I did notice a real annomoly. There were several instances where it mysteriously 'self-added' a number. For example: the last 4 digits of a # came up on the voice feedback and MID as 20002 wherein I recited 'two zero zero two'. In 2 other other instances, it added a 5 in the middle of a phone number where the phone #'s didn't have a 5 anywhere in them to begin with. Had to hit the Back button and re-recite the same phone # several times in both situations before it got it right, something that never happened with the old HFL module. In the end though, all was well.

I definitely recommend replacement of the HFL module to anyone whose having the problems outlined in this thread.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Outta my way!!

The TSB says if HFL system does not lock up, then this TSB does not apply.

I have all the symptoms described in this thread and my VIN falls within a range of this TSB. Could someone explain if I am still covered please? My car is still under original warranty, and then I have extended too..

Or do I have to fake and lie to a dealer that my systems locks up all the time?

I noticed it locks up only sometimes while driving i.e. I am trying to dial and screen says "The system is being used by NAVI" or something to that effect, but in a few minutes it seems to reset itself after I switch between nav and audio mode.. Anybody seen that ?

But I have a big problem dialing numbers with my voice - I mostly use my phone to dial to avoid embarrasment..
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We went into Radley Acura in falls church VA today. We had scheduled a service for today becuase of HFL problems working with our phones and having trouble working properly, dropping calls, locking up etc.

They told us this morning when we came in that there was no TSB, no update for the HFL and no newer unit to install. We pressed them, and the service manager also said there was nothing they could do and no TSB.

I am really starting to get angry at Acura sometimes!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 PM
8th Gear

I did my wife's last Saturday and she likes it. No more repeating number 5 times. I called the dealer, told them the HFL had trouble recognizing numbers and that I understood there is an upgrade and bingo. It took 1 hr including the free car wash.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by tzakiel
We went into Radley Acura in falls church VA today. We had scheduled a service for today becuase of HFL problems working with our phones and having trouble working properly, dropping calls, locking up etc.

They told us this morning when we came in that there was no TSB, no update for the HFL and no newer unit to install. We pressed them, and the service manager also said there was nothing they could do and no TSB.

They probably were telling the truth. Unless your TL was built prior to August 2004 the TSB really doesn't apply.. That's basically the way it read.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Pro

It's not Acura, it's the crappy dealer! Go to Pohanka in Chantilly and talk to Jason McColough.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:14 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

that may be your cell phone...which model?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 AM
WDP Director of R & D

It's not Acura, it's the crappy dealer! Go to Pohanka in Chantilly and talk to Jason McColough.

Your missing the facts.

A dealer service department cant apply a 2004 TSB to a 2005/06 etc. and expect Acura to pay for the part/labor. I'm not sure what year tzakiel's TL is but given the info in front of me, I doubt its an 04 built prior to Aug 04.....
I hardly ever stick up for the dealership but manufacturers are getting extremely selective when it comes to warranty and "dealership leeway". If a dealership steps outside the required parameters they just don't get paid for the warranty repair - period!! Not many dealerships will blindly risk that over such a black and white TSB..

This is a great thread for folks with TL's manufactured prior to Aug 04 with possible HFL issues. Anyone with a newer TL most likely needs their service dept to look else where for the problem - at least not expect this TSB to cover their car with an automatic HFL module replacement.

Just the facts.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 AM
never stops!

Originally Posted by vash68
The TSB says if HFL system does not lock up, then this TSB does not apply.

I have all the symptoms described in this thread and my VIN falls within a range of this TSB. Could someone explain if I am still covered please? My car is still under original warranty, and then I have extended too..

Or do I have to fake and lie to a dealer that my systems locks up all the time?

I noticed it locks up only sometimes while driving i.e. I am trying to dial and screen says "The system is being used by NAVI" or something to that effect, but in a few minutes it seems to reset itself after I switch between nav and audio mode.. Anybody seen that ?

But I have a big problem dialing numbers with my voice - I mostly use my phone to dial to avoid embarrasment..
Thanks!
If you fall within the VINs then you are covered. Tell you dealer that is has locked up in the past. Also give your service rep TSB # to look for. All the best.

Since I changed this HFL it's a total new system for me. No problems whatsoever.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KJSmitty

This is a great thread for folks with TL's manufactured prior to Aug 04 with possible HFL issues. Anyone with a newer TL most likely needs their service dept to look else where for the problem - at least not expect this TSB to cover their car with an automatic HFL module replacement.

Just the facts.
I'm pretty sure that I have a post-August 04 model and hence wouldn't qualify for the TSB treatment. But I never mentioned the TSB when I came to the dealer with the problem. I simply described all the problems I was having with the HFL and they replaced it.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

I just dropped off my car to the dealers to get my window fix and the HFL. I told the service advisor that the HFL would give me the 888,088,028 etc. when i would try to dial. So he hopped in the car and tried calling a number and gave me the 088,888 etc.....The service advisor said that was odd, but he tried calling a number and worked for him the first try and the second. I asked if their was an updated version and he told me "NO" they are all the same. What else can i say for them to update the HFL?

JoganJani....Where dealer did you go to?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Instructor

If my car has over 50,000 miles on it, will I still be able to replace the unit for free?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by rubberduckee30

JoganJani....Where dealer did you go to?
I went To Pleasanton Acura.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by noah82
If my car has over 50,000 miles on it, will I still be able to replace the unit for free?
If it's one of the cars that qualify for the TSB, then "yes".
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I can handle that there's no update for me becuase my car is newer. However, I am still angry that radley told me I could get a new unit, scheduled it, I showed up, taking time out of my day and then they tell me no way when I walk in the door.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
WDP Director of R & D

I guess I can handle that there's no update for me becuase my car is newer. However, I am still angry that radley told me I could get a new unit, scheduled it, I showed up, taking time out of my day and then they tell me no way when I walk in the door.
That would be/was inappropriate and inconsiderate to say the least.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

So this is what HFL is meant to be like

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Thanks to the information I was able to request that I have the new version installed to rid me of the common problems outlined above. Night and Day difference
I don't have to close the sunroof, turn off the A/C to either enter prompts or carry a conversation. I am finally able to enjoy this feature on my car.
A little frustrating though that our Dealers nor Acura let us know there was this fix for our problem. Oh well at least it is fixed.
Thanks again to the one who started this thread and communicated the fix. This forum is great
Old 09-02-2006, 05:14 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by brucedeb1
Night and Day difference
I don't have to close the sunroof, turn off the A/C to either enter prompts or carry a conversation. I am finally able to enjoy this feature on my car.
D I T T O !!!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys going to have to get this done to my car. Maybe this will get me to start using the HFL again.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had mine replaced last week. WOW! The response time is a lot quicker and she understands me all the time. No more *88 and *808. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had mine replaced last week. WOW! The response time is a lot quicker and she understands me all the time. No more *88 and *808. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:00 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

They probably were telling the truth. Unless your TL was built prior to August 2004 the TSB really doesn't apply.. That's basically the way it read.
The TSB reads :
'04 TL's up to Vin 69734 or HFL units themselves manufactured prior to August 18, 2004

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=35
Old 09-19-2006, 05:23 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by DMZ
The TSB reads :
'04 TL's up to Vin 69734 or HFL units themselves manufactured prior to August 18, 2004

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=35
Doesn't say "or",,, but who's quibbling..

You are correct though, my wording was inappropriate because the 18 Aug 04 date corresponds to the HFL module and "replacement criteria", not the manu date of the TL. Tis true I was strictly going from my memory on the TSB.

From all my dealings with manufacturer TSB's though, the 18 Aug 04 HFL manufactured date probably correlates to the 69734 TL vin number. IE - Larger or newer vin #TL's had a "newer" HFL module. Given the fact Acura had to specify the HFL date along with the vin # range, it's also evident that vin numbers prior to 69734 could actually have a newer HFL module all ready. Thus, you could fall in the tail end of the listed vin #s and still not actually qualify for the TSB..

Either way, as written, the TSB only applies to "some/most" 2004 TL's.

- Does that imply that your dealership would refuse to swap the module if your TL didn't fit the TSB? Not in every case, but does explain why some dealerships would say "your 2004/05/06 TL does not have a TSB for HFL module replacement" etc..

Question though...... Anyone actually know how many TLs were produced as "2004's"?? I'm curious as to where the 69734 vin number falls in the 04 batch....?

Thanks for the correction DMZ

Cheers

Smitty
Old 09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

with the Nextel 870, is it blurtooth compat or did you buy the extra hook-up. I have a blackberry that I use, but I also have an i-850, but it isn't bluetooth ready. Just wondering if anyone has used that type adapter
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by flip_man
make sure you get the 04 specific BT module. The TSB published has an error on it and it is for 05 and up. If you get the 05 and up module (you will see FRENCH language set as well), the CID will not work.

OK, mine is at the dealership and they are addressing this as I type. Now, what EXACTLY is a CID?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Doesn't say "or",,, but who's quibbling..

You are correct though, my wording was inappropriate because the 18 Aug 04 date corresponds to the HFL module and "replacement criteria", not the manu date of the TL. Tis true I was strictly going from my memory on the TSB.

From all my dealings with manufacturer TSB's though, the 18 Aug 04 HFL manufactured date probably correlates to the 69734 TL vin number. IE - Larger or newer vin #TL's had a "newer" HFL module. Given the fact Acura had to specify the HFL date along with the vin # range, it's also evident that vin numbers prior to 69734 could actually have a newer HFL module all ready. Thus, you could fall in the tail end of the listed vin #s and still not actually qualify for the TSB..

Either way, as written, the TSB only applies to "some/most" 2004 TL's.

- Does that imply that your dealership would refuse to swap the module if your TL didn't fit the TSB? Not in every case, but does explain why some dealerships would say "your 2004/05/06 TL does not have a TSB for HFL module replacement" etc..

Question though...... Anyone actually know how many TLs were produced as "2004's"?? I'm curious as to where the 69734 vin number falls in the 04 batch....?

Thanks for the correction DMZ

Cheers

Smitty
Hmm, seems a simple enough querie. Since 2004 was the first year, wouldn't the first one have been 00001? If so, then it looks like you might have just unknowingly answered your own question....69734 units produced? I know that I bought my 2004 in November of 2003. My production number is 14667.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Got mine replaced on my 04 TL today. It works great even with the stereo and a/c on! Thanks for hookin us up with this info.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Hmm, seems a simple enough querie. Since 2004 was the first year, wouldn't the first one have been 00001? If so, then it looks like you might have just unknowingly answered your own question....69734 units produced? I know that I bought my 2004 in November of 2003. My production number is 14667.
If the number produced was/is 69734 then yes, that vin is the last 04.. The way they worded the TSB had me curious though....

Quick Reply: If you have a 2004 TL, upgrade your HFL!