I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa

Still waiting for santa to drop down my chimney with a present. I can't wait.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Addicted to boobs

so how long do these take to show up after ordered?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by playa4real
redfred - your picture is ridiculous!

looks like you guys won't need to reverse engineer now that peripheral is going to market 200 of the harnesses!
OCD meets MSPaint...

Good thing that we did reverse engineer it; I have had ipod tunes for the last five months (8,000 miles)!!! Beats waiting in line.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 AM
10th Gear

Question

How do I know if I have Nav Traffic capability? I have a 2007 TL (not type-s) w/nav and XM.
I subscribe to XM , I have never looked into Traffic as it is not available here in Canada. I just bought a PXAMG/PGHHD2 and can't get it to work, did I get the wrong harness?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fearless Fly
How do I know if I have Nav Traffic capability? I have a 2007 TL (not type-s) w/nav and XM.
I subscribe to XM , I have never looked into Traffic as it is not available here in Canada. I just bought a PXAMG/PGHHD2 and can't get it to work, did I get the wrong harness?
Nope, you have the correct harness. Are you installing it in the trunk per the instructions from Uncald4 in this forum?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
10th Gear

I tried installing at the head unit, with no success, and then in the trunk . In the trunk the iPod was recognized but I got no sound from iPod or XM.

Originally Posted by nalek
Nope, you have the correct harness. Are you installing it in the trunk per the instructions from Uncald4 in this forum?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried installing at the head unit, with no success, and then in the trunk . In the trunk the iPod was recognized but I got no sound from iPod or XM.
yes it should be wired in the trunk. did you connect everything as described on page 1? dipswitch 2 in the right position? do you have the latest firmware? is the headunit switched to "IPOD"? if not try that, if that doesnt work, try switching the headunit to "AUX" you should hear the ipod playing, but will not see the text.

yeah i know its a bunch of silly questions, but need to make sure all of this has been done.

your car does have NAVTraffic (if its available in Canada)
Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for trying to help, I think I've done everything right, maybe one of the "silly" questions will trigger a "doh!" moment for me ! Then they're not so silly after all.
I have tried the switch in the correct 2 down position, and all up when that didnt work. Everything connected as described (and rechecked numerous times) Latest firmware 36e in PXAMG and iPod, no matter what mode I get no sound.
The only thing that might be an issue is through this whole process I locked up my nav , it wanted my PIN code and I didn't have it at the time, so I could only go by the display up by the clock. Methinks I should still have had sound. Anyway my dealer gave me the code so the nav is up and working again.

Originally Posted by playa4real
yes it should be wired in the trunk. did you connect everything as described on page 1? dipswitch 2 in the right position? do you have the latest firmware? is the headunit switched to "IPOD"? if not try that, if that doesnt work, try switching the headunit to "AUX" you should hear the ipod playing, but will not see the text.

yeah i know its a bunch of silly questions, but need to make sure all of this has been done.

your car does have NAVTraffic (if its available in Canada)
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't think NavTraffic is available in Canada and would assume that the Canadian model TL would have the standard XM tuner. If that's the case then you'll need to install the PGHHD1 cable behind the radio. However, if you were able to plug the PGHHD2 harness in at the XM tuner then you do have setup for the PGHHD2.

I have had people plug the iPod cable into the wrong port on the PXAMG and there is no sound. The iPod cable needs to be plugged into the outside 8 pin port and not the inner port. The inner port is AUX2 as the outer port is IPOD and AUX1.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
10th Gear

I just went out to the garage and checked my cables - I have a PGHHD1 (my bad memory was telling me PGHHD2 - too much reading here I guess ). Everything plugs in fine. I redid it all (at the head unit, switch 2 up, 8 pin in the outside port) still no luck.
From what I think you're saying there is a physical difference in the plug- if I need PGHHD1 only that cable wil fit, not the PGHHD2 - am I correct? Maybe I should disconnect the battery but I'm afraid to do it as I don't have the radio code (bought the care 1 year old used).
This is extremely frustrating but I'm not giving up.
Originally Posted by uncald4
I don't think NavTraffic is available in Canada and would assume that the Canadian model TL would have the standard XM tuner. If that's the case then you'll need to install the PGHHD1 cable behind the radio. However, if you were able to plug the PGHHD2 harness in at the XM tuner then you do have setup for the PGHHD2.

I have had people plug the iPod cable into the wrong port on the PXAMG and there is no sound. The iPod cable needs to be plugged into the outside 8 pin port and not the inner port. The inner port is AUX2 as the outer port is IPOD and AUX1.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

I just went out to the garage and checked my cables - I have a PGHHD1 (my bad memory was telling me PGHHD2 - too much reading here I guess ). Everything plugs in fine. I redid it all (at the head unit, switch 2 up, 8 pin in the outside port) still no luck.
From what I think you're saying there is a physical difference in the plug- if I need PGHHD1 only that cable wil fit, not the PGHHD2 - am I correct? Maybe I should disconnect the battery but I'm afraid to do it as I don't have the radio code (bought the care 1 year old used).
This is extremely frustrating but I'm not giving up.
Ahh ha! The PGHHD1 needs to be installed behind the radio. All the dips on the PXAMG need to be up.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

BTW... Peripheral has sent me 3 more PGHHD2's that are not spoken for. I have 3 of them ready to ship.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

Bahhh, still no joy. Doesn't see the iPod at all, as if it's not even connected, except that the stereo is very slow in processing whatever button I push.
Ahh ha! The PGHHD1 needs to be installed behind the radio. All the dips on the PXAMG need to be up.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Bahhh, still no joy. Doesn't see the iPod at all, as if it's not even connected, except that the stereo is very slow in processing whatever button I push.
Bah! Bring it down to me and I'll have it up and running in 5 minutes! Dip switches are all up right? And you're using the PGHHD1 harness? Installed behind the radio?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:38 AM
10th Gear

Haha, yes, everything is (as far as I can see) correct, and, although I would enjoy a cross-country drive , it's not really practical. Thanks for trying, maybe I'll give it one more shot tomorrow. There has to be one dumb thing I'm missing, unless one of the pieces is defective and if that's the case I have no way to find out.

Bah! Bring it down to me and I'll have it up and running in 5 minutes! Dip switches are all up right? And you're using the PGHHD1 harness? Installed behind the radio?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 AM
10th Gear

Fearless, I do not know how the radio is in a 2007 TL, but this sounds like how mine acted in my 2006 Accord. I had a quick reference card that did not show my radio layout. My radio did not have a tuning dial, it had a tune up and down button. I called Peripheral tech support and they told me to hit the XM button and then push the tune "up" button until Ipod showed on the screen. The PAC Audio site had a quick reference card for my stereo layout but the Isimple site did not. This may not be your problem but I thought I would try to help, good luck.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all, i bought the Isimple kit for the 2007 TL with nav/traffic; from Uncald4. i know this is simple plug and play application; but does any one know if Acura could void my warranty if i install this divice? i probably should have asked before i got it; but i still want it any ways.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that no dealer can void a warranty because an aftermarket product was installed. They can void the warranty if the dealership can prove that a fault on the vehicle was caused by the installation of the aftermarket product. From my experience a consumer level installation can be blamed very easily by the dealership.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have an 08 tl-s and was wondering when will I be able to get the correct harness?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 AM
10th Gear

display issue?

I got my harness and unit last week and installed today. Travis you're the man for getting these out to us; playa4real your write up helped me every step of they way (literally had the laptop in the car with me).

I've got a question for all of you, does the song title and artist name remain displayed in the small upper screen? As of right now, the song title and artist name scrolls and then goes away and all I see is "XM-1 CH001" displayed. The same thing happens when I'm listening to XM. The song title used to stay displayed in the small upper screen but now it just says XM1-(which ever preset channel) CH 66. Its not a huge deal but I did like being able to see the song title displayed up there so that when I was looking at the nav screen I could still get song info.

So basically is this the way its supposed to be or is there something wrong?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Instructor

how did you remove the interior trim/wire router lining?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Docnito
I got my harness and unit last week and installed today. Travis you're the man for getting these out to us; playa4real your write up helped me every step of they way (literally had the laptop in the car with me).

I've got a question for all of you, does the song title and artist name remain displayed in the small upper screen? As of right now, the song title and artist name scrolls and then goes away and all I see is "XM-1 CH001" displayed. The same thing happens when I'm listening to XM. The song title used to stay displayed in the small upper screen but now it just says XM1-(which ever preset channel) CH 66. Its not a huge deal but I did like being able to see the song title displayed up there so that when I was looking at the nav screen I could still get song info.

So basically is this the way its supposed to be or is there something wrong?
Try scrolling through the "Display Mode" options... button's just above the tuner knob, if I recall.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM
05 TL, AT, Blk/Blk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I've asked this question before, but didn't really get what I'm looking for. From what I read, the peripheral unit is the best around for the TL with regards to playing music from an ipod or iphone with the most function (song display, steering wheel control, etc).. I think I'm ready to do the install, but I'd love to go ahead and install the back up camera and video from my iphone to the navi screen.

My question for those of you that have this set-up, do you have two different plugs/harnesses to plug into your iphone/ipod? It doesn't appear that the peripheral unit allows video to pass through. So, do you use the ipod plug from the peripheral unit for music, then something else, like the apple composite cable to Doms unit, to play video?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
10th Gear

ohhhh

Thanks JB! Damn that was simple.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Docnito
Thanks JB! Damn that was simple.
No problem! It got me too when I first installed it.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Not in Canada, eh?

Below is copy of "form" I submitted to Peripheral Electronics. I have no confirmation that they received it so I am also submitting it here. Any help would be appreciated.

"I have a CANADIAN 2008 Acura TL-S. Bought PXAMG and PGHHD2 harness from GIG Harbor Autow Works (and was assured that this is what I needed for my car). Went to Future Shop to have it installed, and after 2.5 hours they could not get it to work. Installer called you [engineer at Peripehral Electronics] who said Canadian 2008 TL-S has older tuner and requires PGHHD1 harness, that needs to be connected to tuner, not sat box. I would like to confirm this with you before this turns into a $500 project.
Which harness? Where to connect? Dip switch settings?
(My PXAMG is serial number PX0409.36)
Will it still charge my iPhone?
Anything else I should know?
Do I send wrong cable back to Gig Harbor Auto Works for replacement? (Assuming that's the only issue?)"

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rgr
Not in Canada, eh?

Below is copy of "form" I submitted to Peripheral Electronics. I have no confirmation that they received it so I am also submitting it here. Any help would be appreciated.

"I have a CANADIAN 2008 Acura TL-S. Bought PXAMG and PGHHD2 harness from GIG Harbor Autow Works (and was assured that this is what I needed for my car). Went to Future Shop to have it installed, and after 2.5 hours they could not get it to work. Installer called you [engineer at Peripehral Electronics] who said Canadian 2008 TL-S has older tuner and requires PGHHD1 harness, that needs to be connected to tuner, not sat box. I would like to confirm this with you before this turns into a $500 project.
Which harness? Where to connect? Dip switch settings?
(My PXAMG is serial number PX0409.36)
Will it still charge my iPhone?
Anything else I should know?
Do I send wrong cable back to Gig Harbor Auto Works for replacement? (Assuming that's the only issue?)"

Thanks for your help.
I've seen both the NavTraffic tuner and the standard XM tuner in the 2007/2008 TL's with NAVI. I guess the best way to know is to pull back the carpet on the passenger side trunk and look at the tuner plugs. I'll send you a PGHHD1 cable ASAP in exchange for the cable you have. Once I have the PGHHD2 cable back I'll refund the diff.

I like that the installer had a solution instead of just saying that it won't work.

For other Canadian TL owners.... Both the PGHHD1 and PGHHD2 kits have been installed in your cars. There is really no way to tell which tuner you have without pulling the carpet back and verifying the plugs on the XM tuner.

The older XM tuner will have a WHITE plug. The newer NavTraffic tuner will have BLACK plugs.

rgr : could you please shoot me a PM with your email address and shipping info? Thank you.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
rgr : could you please shoot me a PM with your email address and shipping info?
PM sent. Thanks for quick reply.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just a heads up for all Canadian TL-S owners, mine also has the white plugs as mentioned above which means it needs the older cable. Guessing from this I think the majority of them have the older XM box
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Comprehensive Install Description

So, this looks like it is exactly what I am looking for but after reading all 6 pages of this thread I am unsure as to what I need exactly. If someone could please give me a list of parts, and where I can get them, that I will need to purchase (I have a 05 navi) and a description of how it needs to be installed, that would be great.

Thank you for all your help
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Instructor

took me an hour to install, i spent most of the time trying to unplug the trunk liner pins. works great!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tyintegra
So, this looks like it is exactly what I am looking for but after reading all 6 pages of this thread I am unsure as to what I need exactly. If someone could please give me a list of parts, and where I can get them, that I will need to purchase (I have a 05 navi) and a description of how it needs to be installed, that would be great.

Thank you for all your help
There is a vendor that posted a couple lines above your post. There is a line in his sig that says.... CLICK HERE for the Peripheral iSimple Group Buy (2004 and up Acura)

Click that link. For the 2005 TL w/NAVI you'll need the PXAMG and the PGHHD1. Nothing else. The kit comes with install instructions. Holler!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

So, I live about a half hour from you. Is there any way that I can just come and pick it up from you? That way you wouldn't have to worry about trying to ship it and I wouldn't have to pay for the shipping.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tyintegra
So, I live about a half hour from you. Is there any way that I can just come and pick it up from you? That way you wouldn't have to worry about trying to ship it and I wouldn't have to pay for the shipping.
No! You can't come pick it up! No soup for you!

j/k.. Thanks for coming down to grab that today. Let me know how the install goes.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

!! TO EVERYONE !!

In the last month I sent out 3 replacement PXAMG's and 12 replacement harnesses. Whether it was a defective replacement or you ordered the wrong parts I expected the original part to be returned. I have received none of these parts back. WTF?

I'll be going though my invoices to find each person that has failed to return their part. If you're returning an exchange to me and it's on the way please let me know. I will not send you the nasty email reminder.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

I'm having trouble installing on my 06 TL w/Nav and XM. I have the PGHHD1 harness I tried installing it in the back. The ipod cord is connected to the right plug and I have dip switch 2 on and I disconnected the battery for 10 min. However when I turn on the ignition it goes straight into NAVI code input. Once I put the code in and press XM nothing shows up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When i put all dip switches up, the ipod shows up.. but there is no sound even when a song is playing. AND the xm does not work. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Do i have to install it into the HU?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yohannus
I'm having trouble installing on my 06 TL w/Nav and XM. I have the PGHHD1 harness I tried installing it in the back. The ipod cord is connected to the right plug and I have dip switch 2 on and I disconnected the battery for 10 min. However when I turn on the ignition it goes straight into NAVI code input. Once I put the code in and press XM nothing shows up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When i put all dip switches up, the ipod shows up.. but there is no sound even when a song is playing. AND the xm does not work. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Do i have to install it into the HU?
You PGHHD1 comes with install instructions. You did not use them. This thread is for the install of the PGHHD2 harness which is completely different.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Does this Isimple unit hook up to the back of your factory radio, or the xm tuner in the trunk? 2006 TL with NAV
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lawrencesharma
Does this Isimple unit hook up to the back of your factory radio, or the xm tuner in the trunk? 2006 TL with NAV
on the 2004 to 2006 tl's the isimple hooks up in back of the radio.you only hook it up at the xm tuner if it's a 07/08 type s.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

Ahh ok, that clears it up for me, thanks!

Quick Reply: I-058: playa4real's Peripheral PXAMG Install for a 3G Type S