I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD ready thanks to the peripherals control unit (don't think i'll ever want HD, but it's there if I want it
5) the unit also comes with a 6 foot cable that has a mini-stereo headphone male connector for non-IPOD mp3 players, laptops, basically anything that has a headphone jack -- you can concurrently have this installed to the HD radio plug (just to the right of the IPOD input).
How would you go about hooking up the HD radio?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
you need to purchase the HD radio unit separately from peripheral that comes with a linking cable. The Aux input will be your HD radio
Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Advanced

but does the HD tuner doesn't have to be connected to the car anywhere correct? you just hook up the peripheral unit to the XM module in the trunk and then plug the HD unit into peripheral and it just toggle through the XM button to get HD Radio input? Also, if I have the AUX input for the HD radio, do I lose the extra AUX cable for non-ipod MP3 players?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i was just visiting peripheral's website this morning and noticed they posted a .37 firmware update. Has anyone updated their unit with this yet?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
^ No but thanks for letting us know. I will do it this weekend
Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

I believe the x.37 updates the PXAMG to read from big IPODS .. (e.g. 20gig, 40gig, etc)
Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

Nope, I was wrong:

Date
Version

12-29-08

Adds Infiniti applications ...
Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 AM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought this unit today at Bestbuy. I just realized it's missing the auxiliary audio cable after reading this thread......Now I gotta go exchange it in the morning.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
is this part of the problem after installing a PXAMG with nav?

i just found out today that my voice command button doesn't work; or rather it LAGS and works 10% of the time.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my unit from BB came with .35 firmware and i've had no problems really yet, going on 5 days. The only problem i had was no audio coming out of the speakers. All i did was unplug the brain again and re plugged it back in and everything works agian..
Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JCL622
is this part of the problem after installing a PXAMG with nav?

i just found out today that my voice command button doesn't work; or rather it LAGS and works 10% of the time.
i dont think that has anything to do with the PXAMG unit....prolly a sticky or faulty button?

sometimes i forgget that the voice command function is even there...lol
Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Just went to Bestbuy and checked out the iSimple unit but the TL isnot list on the car manufacturer list. My bad if this has already been mentioned but I noticed the TSX listed on the list but not the TL. I guess this is another version or build than previous versions.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Instructor

this is probably a minor issue, but for those of you is running the peripheral in your TL, do you noticed that whenever you select ALBUM, the unit always starts playing songs alphabetically, instead of the actual track number.

I wished there will be a fix for this issue soon.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced

I am trying to use this for my Iphone, i know most people use thier ipod so this is a bit different. I know the isimple plug comes up from the arm rest and you basically keep the ipod inside your arm rest while driving right? Well since i would be using my Iphone, i woudl have to plug it in and i would like to leave it out on the cup holder cover but will my armrest close with the wire hanging out? has any one encountered this issue?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutronics33
I am trying to use this for my Iphone, i know most people use thier ipod so this is a bit different. I know the isimple plug comes up from the arm rest and you basically keep the ipod inside your arm rest while driving right? Well since i would be using my Iphone, i woudl have to plug it in and i would like to leave it out on the cup holder cover but will my armrest close with the wire hanging out? has any one encountered this issue?
so what's the issue with your scenario? i usually leave my ipod out in the same area when i'm driving.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Bought and put mine in today. SWEET! Moved from a USA Spec becasue of the skipping. It sound a hundred time better. Mine has .26 firmward. Is it really necessary for me to update to .37 since the only upgrade is the infinity software. If I do decide to upgrade the web site says I need a 12v power source. Can I just leave the unit pluged to the car and tap of the car that way or do i have to unplug the whole thing to find another source like the car battery itself. Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Forget the last post. I realize I don't need a power suply. I have a new issue in trying to update. I am running XP and it won't install the usb driver. Can anyone tell where where I can get the right driver. Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gumby430
Forget the last post. I realize I don't need a power suply. I have a new issue in trying to update. I am running XP and it won't install the usb driver. Can anyone tell where where I can get the right driver. Thanks

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/

I would just leave the .26 firmware if everything is going ok .. I don't think you need the update
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Instructor

All of a sudden the car will say IPOD disconnected and flash a bit and come back on. I figured a update might fix this.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tonester
so what's the issue with your scenario? i usually leave my ipod out in the same area when i'm driving.
Can you close your armrest with the wire sticking out basically
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
8th Gear

Why do some people say you install this unit in the trunk, while others say you install it at the back of the HU?

I'd get the isimple ver from BB with the TL harness already when I do buy it.

I have an 05 TL non-navi
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Yes you can close the center armrest lid with the wire sticking out -- why would you have the ipod sticking out -- leave it in the center armrest -- you have full control at the radio controls and steering wheels.

People with navi-traffic install in the trunk ..all others install at the back of the HU.

05 non-navi TL gets to install at back of HU
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Yes you can close the center armrest lid with the wire sticking out -- why would you have the ipod sticking out -- leave it in the center armrest -- you have full control at the radio controls and steering wheels.

People with navi-traffic install in the trunk ..all others install at the back of the HU.

05 non-navi TL gets to install at back of HU
i would be using my Iphone, not an ipod, which is why i would like to have it out to make calls etc.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutronics33
Can you close your armrest with the wire sticking out basically
yes, there's a built-in notch in the armrest that allows the wire to stick out while the armrest is closed
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Does anyone else have an issue with the unit flashing and skipping while playing. It will say No Ipod Connected and flash and come back on. Is there a fix for this?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gumby430
Does anyone else have an issue with the unit flashing and skipping while playing. It will say No Ipod Connected and flash and come back on. Is there a fix for this?
I have this issue occasionally to. The Peripheral representative on this board has said it is related to having a large number of songs on your iPod. The first person with this issue had something like 20,000 songs. I have about 7100. It sounds like there might be a firmware update in progress to fix the issue.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Yea I have about 1800 songs, I will just be driving down the road and it skips and comes back on. It may do it 2-3 times in a half hr and then not again for hours. Crazy. Hope a fix is coming!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^ have u tried the update? i dont have any skippin isues but, i do get that flashing msg while scroling thru songs....no biggie to me tho
Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Instructor

I updated to firmward .36 when I got it. I check with Peripheral and they said to try to reset the IPOD. Thisnk that might work?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Instructor

I tried to do a reset of the device. I pulled the black plug out for 5 mins and put it back in. I turned the car to the acc possition but it did not say dev init. Is that normal it just went right into the ipod mode and strated playing the song. Should I have waited longer?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
AWESOME iPod integration!

First, I wanted to thank you Peter for your advice and install tips. I picked this unit up at BB on Friday and just installed it using your behind the dash method. I too know I will be sore tomorrow (not sure the human body was designed to contort in some of the ways I contorted myself), but knowing that I didn't have to take apart my center console, etc to get to the XM harness is worth it's weight in gold.

SPECS: (what I am hooking the iSimple up to)
2005 Acura TL 6SP Non-Navi
3rd Generation iPod 60GB (White)
1st Generation iPod Touch

Hooked my iPod up and the first thing I noticed is the sound quality. I have never heard my iPod sound so good on a car stereo. Sounds great (coming from a cassette adaptor and FM transmitter). Next thing I am thrilled about is the song info (text) displayed on my radio and it charges my ipod ... what more could you want! To top it off ... XM still functions the same way it did before the iSimple install. Nothing is lost, but much is gained.

I just wanted to give you props Peter for inspiring me to do this. I am so glad I did. Anyone else considering this, I highly recommend it. I can't wait to take the TL out and try this out more. If I run into any issues from here on out (don't think that I will), I will post again.

The unit came with an instruction card to help you figure out how to use the controls. Takes a little getting used to, but I think in no time ... I should have it mastered.

First of all, thanks (as always) to the very informative, ethusiastic members of this forum that posted install pics, reviews, etc on this product.

My rating:
Ease of Install (depending on tools available): 5/10
Quality of construction: 8/10
Quality of digital sound: 10/10 (sounds EXACTLY like a burned *.wav extracted from a mp3 -- so... perfect digital sound)
Ease of use: 7/10 -- takes some getting used to the controls
Overall Impression: 10/10

So I reviewed the latest recommendations on this product comparing with all the alternatives, and from what I've gathered, this product is virtually flawless sound, flawless install, and no bugs (for people with TL non-navi that are NOT using iPhone).

I have an IPOD nano, and a 2004 TL non-navi with XM radio.

I decided NOT to take apart my dash (did NOT want to risk damaging any of the aesthetics, like the $100/piece brushed aluminum center console trim pieces...) therefore, thanks to a member on this board that posted pics, I did the following:

1) back up the driver's seat as much as possible for room
2) have a slim, MAG-like flashlight that can be maneuvered and pointed in tight spots
3) pull down the carpeting on the center console where it meets the center console plastic by the driver's R knee.
4) poking your head all the way to the accelerator and then looking to the right and BEHIND to the rear of the center console, you can see about a 4" by 4" opening where you'll visualize (with the flashlight) a white, 1"x 3/4" wiring harness (nearest you -- the ONLY visible white harness).
5) this is the XM input to the TL audio system
6) I used a long flat head screwdriver (about 3/4 foot long, 1/4" width flat head) that I BENT DOWN THE TIP (i used a vice grip to bend the very tip down so it had a 45 degree angle downward "tooth" with which to push down on the wiring harness clip and also to pull it out)
7) Using a LOT of contortion (and years of poor flexibility... for which I'll pay for in the morning tomorrow with LOTS of soreness), I wrangled the augmented flathead to THE TOP OF THE WHITE HARNESS and pushed down on the clip and pulled the harness out.
8) Then, I utilized the flathead once more to wrangle the now loose harness to the 4" x 4" opening so that I could now start making my connections to the Peripheral Electronics Y-harness.
9) I then used THE SAME augmented flathead, mounted the NEW PERIPHERAL harness to the flathead by wedging the flathead into a part of the harness that had no wires, and wrangled the harness into the back of the Acura TL audio system (same spot where we originally removed the OEM harness in the above steps)
10) I then MADE SURE TO FLIP ALL MY DIP SWITCHES TO THE OFF (DOWN) POSITION on the Peripherals control unti
11) I then plugged the black harness from the Y-adapter to the Peripherals control unit. I then plugged the IPOD wire (6 foot) to the very far left S-video-looking input on the Peripherals unit.
12) I then started testing (as per the instructions) and it worked right off the bat -- success!
13) I ran the 6 foot ipod cord under all the plastic along the driver's side to the center console, snuck it between the center arm rest base and carpet and then fed it into the top deck of the center console and VOILA!
An OEM sounding, perfect digital solution for IPOD in my car.. XM works great as it always has as well.

I welcome any questions comments -- this thing is really flawless... i've been listening to it over 3 hours, here are the features I love:

1) time song has been playing, ALL text (song name, artist, album) all accessible and can be toggled via "DISP" button on center console
2) Surf by artist/album/alphabet/etc .. PERFECT!
3) VERY FAST SURFING with the Right toggle knob of the center console and JUST AS FAST surfing with the channel button on the steering wheel -- kick ass!
4) HD ready thanks to the peripherals control unit (don't think i'll ever want HD, but it's there if I want it
5) the unit also comes with a 6 foot cable that has a mini-stereo headphone male connector for non-IPOD mp3 players, laptops, basically anything that has a headphone jack -- you can concurrently have this installed to the HD radio plug (just to the right of the IPOD input).

No regrets, cost me $150 shipped from an online vendor recommended on this forum by the Peripherals representative that posts here often. (I opted not to go with Ebay as I heard they have some techinical flaws).

Oh, and my unit came pre-loaded with the latest firmware, but the process to check the firmware with the online free software from Peripheral's website was SIMPLE.

Love this product.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

Pianoman--

Congrats!! isn't it awesome?

iSimple integration kit: $150.00
Four advil for the soreness and a bottled water: $3.50
Future visit to the chiropractor for back issues: $500.00
Not having to disassemble your entire TL dash and cause more rattles:

P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S

Thanks so much for the props, but I'll re-direct them to Crook who came up with this brilliant method. Isn't the sound great? I seriously believe this to be the superior iPod unit on the market for the TL. Don't know why people are still looking to USASpec, DICE, etc.

Enjoy and congrats -- you'll get used to the center console radio controls so fast that you'll never recall when you DIDNT' have full ipod control.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Safety Car

oh, and just wanna post my near 4-week report on this ipod controller -- FLAWLESS operation and no XM issues -- even in our sub-zero (sitting in a lot outside ALL DAY) chicago weather...

And, the funny thing is, now that i think about it -- my ipod fires up right away too, even though I'm supposed to let it sit in frigid weather. oh well
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so there are way to many isimple threads so I am posting this info in this thread aswell. With Circuit City going out of business you can pick up the isim71 for $105 since it is 30% off during the liquidation sale. My Circuit City only had 1 available so you may want to check it out if you are interested and this is the least expensive I have seen it for.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
You know, it's funny, I went to Circuit City on Sunday and they just flat out said they don't carry those. Oh well...ordered one from Amazon for 145 bucks...I've had good experience with being able to return things with them, etc, if there were an issue. I'm installing in an 04 non navi...so I think i'll be shipshape. I'll give the non removing panels thing a try.

Wish me luck!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
oh, and just wanna post my near 4-week report on this ipod controller -- FLAWLESS operation and no XM issues -- even in our sub-zero (sitting in a lot outside ALL DAY) chicago weather...

And, the funny thing is, now that i think about it -- my ipod fires up right away too, even though I'm supposed to let it sit in frigid weather. oh well
yeah i dont know why you were having that issue before. it works now so no worries
Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

iSimple Cradle

Hey Guys:

I have an '05 non-Navi 6Sp. I just bought the PXMAG and the 5v charging cable for my 3G iphone, but I haven't done the install yet. I'm looking for some kind of cradle that would hold the phone so I can see the screen if necessary.?

Not sure the best place to put it if I do locate one. Any ideas??
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Placement of the iSimple

I was just curious as to where everyone is mounting their iSimple. I have mine mounted in the same place and "tonester," but I am having an issue with my right foot hitting it when I am accelerating. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by tonester
i just finished my install today also and i ended up mounting the peripheral box at the foot well location using velcro. I mounted the box as high as possible where it won't interfere with my right foot. This way, i can also have easy access to it when i need to update the firmware. i'll test out this location with a few days of driving and let you guys know how it feels.

as for charging the ipod touch 2gen or iphone 3g, i contacted peripheral about the issue and they sent out a newer 5v cable to me that will charge my 2gen Ipod touch.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I would find an alternative...ANYTHING possibly blocking/interfering with the accelerator is a NO NO! Picture you're crossing an intersection...semi runs light and is coming at you at 65mph...you gun it and the accelerator won't go down....

you get the picture, with a slight James Cameronesque twist.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Is anyone else have trouble when they start their car with the radio lagging to turn on and then when its left on XM the radio skipping for about 5 mins and no buttons respond?

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips