I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Peripheral is shipping out the new cables now? Is it just a new cable from the unit to the iPhone itself?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
congrats on the install -- what generation/type of ipod do you have .. iphone,and late gen itouch are not supported for charging.
I have a 4G nano, i updated the firmware on the peripheral box and no luck, it is still not charging. I'm gonna search around for some answers
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tonester
i just finished my install today also and i ended up mounting the peripheral box at the foot well location using velcro. I mounted the box as high as possible where it won't interfere with my right foot. This way, i can also have easy access to it when i need to update the firmware. i'll test out this location with a few days of driving and let you guys know how it feels.

NICE! I have mine in the same spot for the same reason
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
I have a 4G nano, i updated the firmware on the peripheral box and no luck, it is still not charging. I'm gonna search around for some answers
4G Nano's are in the same boat as the iPhone 3G. I'm running the passPORT piece that plugs between your iPod/iPhone and the Peripheral cable to allow it to charge. However, it sounds like Peripheral might be shipping out the new cables already...
Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i got the new cable directly from peripheral.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eluzion
4G Nano's are in the same boat as the iPhone 3G. I'm running the passPORT piece that plugs between your iPod/iPhone and the Peripheral cable to allow it to charge. However, it sounds like Peripheral might be shipping out the new cables already...
DAMMIT! I should have known this!! Oh well, I just emailed peripheral for a new cable, we'll see what they say....
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
10th Gear

In Canada?

I'm sold, anyone in Canada know where I can get one ?
I'm near Barrie, Ontario.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Fearless Fly
I'm sold, anyone in Canada know where I can get one ?
I'm near Barrie, Ontario.
Read this thread about ipod adapters on a Canadian TL
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/06-tl-nav-no-xm-radio-there-ipod-hookup-702525/

Basically they should work but since you don't have an XM button you will have to use the mode button to cycle through modes to get to the ipod instead of just pressing the XM button like we do.

I don't have a canadian TL so I have not tested it personally so don't quite me on that, but it should work. You can buy the iSimple kit (Peripheral unit) at Best Buy and Circuit City.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

ah screw it I just bought the scosche passPORT charging adapter from ebay $21 shipped, simple fix I'll let everyone know how it works
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Racer

It works well. That's what I'm running right now. They sell it at the Apple store as well.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I might actually have to replace my DICE unit with this one, it seems like a much better solution (wish it was around back when I got the DICE unit)
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The passport is a simple solution to the "my XXXX doesn't charge my ipod" .. it's a no brainer ..get the passport, done.

Yeah, DICE seems VERY buggy lately, at least by what i'm reading in the azine posts/threads...

it's $150 (or cheaper) shipped (the peripheral) .. just go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Can you control the ipod directly from the ipod screen? I find this to be allot easier than the current setup I have with this system where it locks the ipod and I can only go forward and backwards.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Racer

If you are connected with the iPod connection (in iPod "mode"), then no. If you hook it up to the headphone port through the Aux connection, then yes (but obviously you won't get any text displayed on the navigation and you can't control the iPod through the steering wheel/radio buttons). Personally, I find controlling the iPod/iPhone through the steering wheel/radio buttons on the car pretty easy.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Advanced

My install wasn't as successful. All the wires are hooked up Y Cable has XM plugged in and hooked into the back of the headunit. The other cable is going to the PXAMG. iPod cable plugged into the iPod. Dipswitches are up. I'm getting power to my iPod but I'm still only getting XM1/XM2 when I press the XM button. Any suggestions or clues? It got too dark for me to continue working on it, so maybe you guys can give me some help before morning :P. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got mine installed yesterday. Hubby and I worked on it for quite sometime. We had to abandon the no-panel removal method and ended up having to take off several panels which made it much easier. Had a few glitches today, though. After connecting my ipod the display kept flipping back and forth between ipod connected/no ipod connected. After resetting my ipod, it was still doing it and then I just left it connected for a couple of minutes and it righted itself. Not sure what was going on. I also hear some static in the background. It is very noticable when there is nothing connected. I do have the latest firmware.

I got the new ipod cable and my husband connected his iphone 3G and it seemed to work fine and charge it too.

Originally Posted by AaronChiles
My install wasn't as successful. All the wires are hooked up Y Cable has XM plugged in and hooked into the back of the headunit. The other cable is going to the PXAMG. iPod cable plugged into the iPod. Dipswitches are up. I'm getting power to my iPod but I'm still only getting XM1/XM2 when I press the XM button. Any suggestions or clues? It got too dark for me to continue working on it, so maybe you guys can give me some help before morning :P. Thanks!
I would disconnect the unit fron the harness, wait 5 minutes and then plug it back in and make sure to follow the instructions about turning the car to the accessory position and waiting 3 minutes. We found out it is important to make sure the car is in accessory and not "on".
Old 12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Can you control the ipod directly from the ipod screen? I find this to be allot easier than the current setup I have with this system where it locks the ipod and I can only go forward and backwards.
Originally Posted by eluzion
If you are connected with the iPod connection (in iPod "mode"), then no. If you hook it up to the headphone port through the Aux connection, then yes (but obviously you won't get any text displayed on the navigation and you can't control the iPod through the steering wheel/radio buttons). Personally, I find controlling the iPod/iPhone through the steering wheel/radio buttons on the car pretty easy.
Actually that's only half-true. You do not need to connect the ipod through the AUX jack to have control of your ipod. Once in Ipod Mode, hit the FM input button and then hit the AUX/XM input button. As soon as you are in the XM input, turn the tune knob until you see AUX. At this point either press 6 (for enter) or just wait a couple of seconds and it will lock into this mode. Now you can control you ipod through the ipod, but as with the AUX jack you lose display of track info and any controls from the HU/steering wheel.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? I believe it is .26. If this is true then as the above poster said, unplug it and leave the module off for 10 minutes to reset it, then plug it back in and try again. Let us know what happens
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

had the exact same problem when i first installed mine:

1) disconnect the black harness (biggest harness on the PXAMG module) (leaving all y-harness connections connected/intact).

2) make sure your dip switches are in the operating position (upgoing), re-plug the black harness to the PXAMG brain/module and turn key to acc or ON (shouldn't matter which one it's on) .. you shoudl then see: "DEV INIT" for a handful of seconds... then you're in business.

You should note that you cannot flip the dip switches WHILE the black harness is connected to the PXAMG module .. you must REMOVE the harness first, then flip dip switches.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AMIC
I also hear some static in the background. It is very noticable when there is nothing connected. I do have the latest firmware.
At what volume level do you hear static?

I don't have any static during audio playback, I know this for a fact b/c during lows in songs, or between songs, I have cranked the volume to 35 and no significant static...

I do notice some static when the ipod is disconnected and the display says "NO IPOD CONNECTED.." but i don't listen to my stereo with my ipod disconnected
Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I too thought my unit wasnt working when this same situation happened to me BUT u do have to remember in order to get to the peripheral devices input (i.e sat (xm), ipod, aux1 & aux 2) you HAVE TO press the "am/fm" button then depress the "XM" button and as soon as you depress it, turn the "TUNE" knob (knob on radio closer to passenger seat) to toggle the inputs of the device. Also make sure you update the firmware too! Let me know if this helps...
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At what volume level do you hear static?

I don't have any static during audio playback, I know this for a fact b/c during lows in songs, or between songs, I have cranked the volume to 35 and no significant static...

I do notice some static when the ipod is disconnected and the display says "NO IPOD CONNECTED.." but i don't listen to my stereo with my ipod disconnected
Volume level around 20-22. It could be the crappy MP3s I have on there. I will try to find some songs I know have crisp sound and test it with those.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Advanced

I got it working! Thanks for all the help...it sounds wonderful. Much better than the cassette adapter. How are your iPods setup? I want to just leave mine in the car and not worry about turning it on or off, etc...Anybody have any settings for this, or am I going to have to power it off so it doesn't kill my battery?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the Ipod will turn off after you turn the car off. at first it will pause itself then it will automatically shutdown. Not sure of other ipods but mine does this and i have a 30 GB classic
Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Mine shuts down, but is constantly charging -- this is very little current draw on your battery, I have left my ipod in for 4 weeks now (in terribly cold weather) for days at a time sometimes and now problems....
Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Instructor

after doing my install a few days ago, i would definitely recommend removing the driver side trim and 2 panels to do the install. Not only will it make removing the XM harness much easier, but also allows you to run the wires neatly behind the panels in the center console.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So does this new harness solve the problem of muting and pausing the iPod when the HFL rings?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 2008 MDX with the tech/entertainment package. I contacted one vendor of this product and they said it would not display text if you have the rear entertainment system (which I do). Does anyone have any experience with this product and my vehicle config?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mglax13
So does this new harness solve the problem of muting and pausing the iPod when the HFL rings?
yes, but the new harness (per the peripheral rep on this azine board) is for navi TL's WITH navi-traffic...

there may be a new cable in the works for non-navi TL's to pause on HFL.

bummer
Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

after doing my install a few days ago, i would definitely recommend removing the driver side trim and 2 panels to do the install. Not only will it make removing the XM harness much easier, but also allows you to run the wires neatly behind the panels in the center console.
Whatever works for you -- i just know that if you're ABLE to .. the method first posted and detailed by Crook is the LEAST INVASIVE... so to speak and for me, was perfect -- didn't have to remove one single panel and with the right tools, flexibility, and patience, it can be done in under 10 minutes.

That being said, removing a couple panels isn't a big deal either.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 AM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, but the new harness (per the peripheral rep on this azine board) is for navi TL's WITH navi-traffic...

there may be a new cable in the works for non-navi TL's to pause on HFL.

bummer
I got the Nav-Traffic so I'm G2G sweet
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Racer

Is the Peripheral PXAMG the same thing as the ISimple ISIM71? Best BUy has the Isimple ISIM71 which is made by peripheral, but on that box it says it does not work with Nav systems. The PXAMG DOES work with Nav systems, though. I would like to get the ISim71 since the Best Buy is close to me, and easy access.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cotmfk
Is the Peripheral PXAMG the same thing as the ISimple ISIM71? Best BUy has the Isimple ISIM71 which is made by peripheral, but on that box it says it does not work with Nav systems. The PXAMG DOES work with Nav systems, though. I would like to get the ISim71 since the Best Buy is close to me, and easy access.

Thanks for the help!
I'm not sure -- if they'll let you, open the box and look at the firware number on the sticker on the brain unit, and look for the PXAMG identifier -- if it's PXAMG, you can flash to the latest firmware at home and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Racer

Thanks for the help. I'll see if they let me open it up!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

Firmware update to 0.26

Anyone can help me out and tell me where and how I can do the firmware update?

I just bought the iSimple for my '07 TSX w/nav, but the firmware (as stated on the unit) is 0.25.

Also, can I reconfirm that cars w/ navs will also display text such as artist/song name?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Instructions on how to remove panels?

Any one have user manuals or visual instructions on how to remove driver side panels and NAV?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Instructor

you can download the instructions posted on this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/i-160-usa-spec-install-633080/

remember, if you've never taken the panels out of your car before, you should keep have a digital camera with you to take pictures of the parts before you remove them in order to keep track of which screws goes where.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Taking the panels off is relatively straightforward -- just remember:

1) Never tug at something that is giving you resistance unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you've removed all screws.

2) Use of very slim trim tools (available CHEAP, brand "Husky" at home depot) are ideal and great for removing the aluminum trim (even a slim butter knife is good).

3) If you ever strip a screw hole, you can use epoxy (JB weld, avail. cheap at home depot) to load the screw hole and then once it starts to set you can screw into the hole again

4) before you put panels BACK after your install, make sure all NEW wires you've run are protected by soft padding or are secured to a solid wall such that you will not incur NEW RATTLES!!

5) and PLEASE TRY the simple 15 minutes method outlined initially in this post first.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LexLuminati
Any one have user manuals or visual instructions on how to remove driver side panels and NAV?
you don't have to remove the nav, just need to get to the back of the headunit
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced

i know it doesn't charge the iphone 3g but does it put the iphone into airplane mode?

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips