How much do you use your TL's navigation system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 07:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much do you use your TL's navigation system?

I'm looking to buy a new 2006 TL and am going back and forth on whether it's worth the extra $2K for the navigation system.

My wife & I don't hardly ever go on long car trips and we generally know where we're going around town. I like the idea of the voice control over the Stereo, XM and even the heating & cooling system. But I just don't know if it's worth the extra money. Plus I'll be doing a lease and the residual value on the TL with Nav is actually lower than the TL without (e.g. 48% vs. 49%).

For those of you who have the navigation system in your TL, do you use the actual navigation part that much? Do you think it was worth the extra money?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't use it too often, most of my driving is to places I know (friends, work, school) though it is nice in an unframiliar area to be able to easily find food and such.

Going to car meets around ehre, it helps also, and when I'm on vacation, a few times a year.

FWIW, mine is an aftermarket setup in my 1G that I spent about $1,000 on and does music and movies and any standard computer program also.

For me, it was worth it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zombieman
I'm looking to buy a new 2006 TL and am going back and forth on whether it's worth the extra $2K for the navigation system.

My wife & I don't hardly ever go on long car trips and we generally know where we're going around town. I like the idea of the voice control over the Stereo, XM and even the heating & cooling system. But I just don't know if it's worth the extra money. Plus I'll be doing a lease and the residual value on the TL with Nav is actually lower than the TL without (e.g. 48% vs. 49%).

For those of you who have the navigation system in your TL, do you use the actual navigation part that much? Do you think it was worth the extra money?

Thanks a lot.
It's my wife's car and she uses the navi all the time. I've had most of the systems and I think this is the most user friendly.

I have voice activated stuff on this and two other cars and never use it. Fun on the test drive though.

I think the only knock off on the nav is that you have to go through that screen to access the audio. Everytime you start the car the navi nazi makes you assure that you won't sue before you can see the radio stations.

You want really madening, try a Lexus.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

I use it for when I'm going to places I've never been. It's also been useful for navigating all the weird streets in Worcester - I've learned plenty of shortcuts even though I've lived in the area all my life! For my long-distance travels, couldn't imagine being without it
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
2016 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove from 1957 to 2005 without a nav system. Now I've had one for a year and so far it's been a waste of $2,000. I use it so little that when it might be useful I can't remember how to make it do what I need. It impresses the babes, though.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldB
I drove from 1957 to 2005 without a nav system. Now I've had one for a year and so far it's been a waste of $2,000. I use it so little that when it might be useful I can't remember how to make it do what I need. It impresses the babes, though.
wow... that's the first response I've seen that said the navi wasn't worth it. However, I know that there will be an overwhelming cencus who say that the navi is worth it, whether you use it or not.

For starters, the dash board without the navi in the TL just doesn't look as good as those with the navi.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got it only because there've been times prior to buying the car where I wished I had it. Now that I have it, I use it all the time. I rely on voice control for many things and I like being able to see the name of the street I'm on all the time and knowing immediately which side streets are possible detours to the one I'm on should traffic get too thick.

There have been enough times since I've gotten it that I say to myself, "I sure am glad I have this!"
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
User Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the Navi all the time. l will never buy another car without it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by GeraldB
Gerald you are a stud.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

Thanks a lot.
I actually use the expanded Audio info more than the NAV. In Audio mode you see all the XM info, channel, title, artist, etc all ata glance. The Nav i is cool but I use it maybe once a month. And honeslty, it is ok, but I find that it does nto always take me the best way.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its worth it....looking at the interior at night....with the screen on...blue accent lights...that shit is hot.

I use it for gas stations...restaurants. In the long run...i will have the car for 5-7 years...what is 2 grand over 7 years.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
信是寶

Thanks a lot.
This was one of my dilemmas when I purchased my 04 6MT TL ... I liked the Nav console look more and now that I have it - I LOVE IT!!! I will never purchase another car without it.

It is great on trips and finding my way around traffic jams. No more getting lost or pulling over trying to find my way on a map to wherever I am going. Sure I found my way with a map and I do not use it too often, but this saves me time and gives me the convenience of ETA, mileage, etc ... when I do use it and it just completes the TL. As far as the voice, I never use that except for the phone.

Example, trip to new city nav right to hotel, check-in. Nav right to Koi show complex. Back to hotel, Nav to sushi place and back home ... time and stress saved = wonderful day! Yes I would have found it, but with no wrong turns, no asking for directions, no difference of opinion with wifey because she cannot read a map, no etc ...

Plus you are in new city and need a Best Buy or whatever store ... nav right in and mapped. Going out to dinner Nav system hooked to bluetooth = reservation in seconds! You find the place and hit the phone icon and it dials the number SWEETNESS! We have the technology, why not use it.

Yet I guess if you never leave your town, then it would be a waste of $$$. Maybe with the nav system you might get out more. ;-)

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xtin
Gerald you are a stud.
Especially at the age of 65!

Been playing around with a portable Nav in my girfriend's car before I bought the TL. So when it came time to buy it, I knew I wanted the Nav. I take frequent 1-2 hour trips north on weekends and its nice to have the Nav show me the time and distance I have left.

With a recent trip downtown, the Nav pointed me straight to the location. No hassle with one way streets. No matter where I go, I'll always know how to get home.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:50 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I also use it like a yellow pages book in my car. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for something at an auto parts store. I used navi to get me to the nearest Kragen as I've not been to one in my area. They didn't have the part I was looking for, so I used the navi to list all the nearest car parts stores and I called them to find what I was looking for. When I found that the third one had what I wanted, I just hit "OK" on the screen and the navi guided me right to it and through an area I've never been in before.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Advanced

If you are thinking that you might miss it...then get it.

To me it really puts a nice finishing touch on the TL interior and driving experience.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't use it all that often as most days I don't venture too far from my house/work area , but there are plenty of times that we are in one of our other cars and both of us keep saying damn wish were in the TL so we could have the navi.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't use it to lead me to a destination all that often, but when I have needed it I have been glad I've had it. There was one place I went to in Maryland that I never would have found even with printed directions, simply because some of the turns were so easy to miss on the back roads.

I do use the voice controls fairly often when I'm in traffic, however. I tend to change the channel on the radio CONSTANTLY, and when I want to switch bands (AM/FM/XM) I find it a lot easier to use the voice control than to hit the "Mode" button, especially if it's rush hour. Part of this may also be that in traffic I wind up shifting a lot more than when I'm on the highway. I almost always find the voice commands easier to use for controlling the tape player and the CD changer.

Ultimately I agree with the theory that if you're already going to spend upwards of $30,000 on a car, another $2,000 is not that much extra. The Navi is one of those things where if you have it, you don't have to use it, but if you don't have it and you find you need or want it, you're out of luck.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I don't use it to lead me to a destination all that often, but when I have needed it I have been glad I've had it. There was one place I went to in Maryland that I never would have found even with printed directions, simply because some of the turns were so easy to miss on the back roads.

I do use the voice controls fairly often when I'm in traffic, however. I tend to change the channel on the radio CONSTANTLY, and when I want to switch bands (AM/FM/XM) I find it a lot easier to use the voice control than to hit the "Mode" button, especially if it's rush hour. Part of this may also be that in traffic I wind up shifting a lot more than when I'm on the highway. I almost always find the voice commands easier to use for controlling the tape player and the CD changer.

Ultimately I agree with the theory that if you're already going to spend upwards of $30,000 on a car, another $2,000 is not that much extra. The Navi is one of those things where if you have it, you don't have to use it, but if you don't have it and you find you need or want it, you're out of luck.
I use it even when I know where I am going as it does a reasonable job of estimate time to destination. It suggests some routes that I would not normally drive, keeps the driving interesting.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Instructor

I use it all the time. I just like keeping the map on in general (if I turn on the TV I get distracted). I find that if I have the map on I can easily see alternate route; there's way too much traffic in LA. Besides it looks better than a black screen or the audio menu. I forked out an extra 2g for this gotta make the most of it.

But in general the navi system is well worth it. My GF got her 06 civic with the navi too and she loves it.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
As much as I can...

Originally Posted by vandido626
I forked out an extra 2g for this gotta make the most of it.

But in general the navi system is well worth it.
Now use it just about every day for alternate routes in case traffic jams up here in Southern California, and for climate control. Also useful to make phone calls to places I am headed to confirm they are open.
Oddly enough, I generally use console buttons for the audio system functions.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by vandido626
I use it all the time. I just like keeping the map on in general (if I turn on the TV I get distracted). I find that if I have the map on I can easily see alternate route; there's way too much traffic in LA. Besides it looks better than a black screen or the audio menu. I forked out an extra 2g for this gotta make the most of it.

But in general the navi system is well worth it. My GF got her 06 civic with the navi too and she loves it.
Maybe I should clarify—I interpreted "using" it to mean that I have a destination programmed and the Navi guiding me down a route. I always have the map turned on unless I'm only going a really short distance. I sometimes put on the audio screen for XM information (usually if I turn to baseball, hockey, or one of the ACC channels and I want to see the score and period without waiting for the announcers), but I normally display the map.

Guess that's a question of how one interpreted the original question.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Look Mean, Play Nice

Here we go again...

I think the vast majority of people who don't buy it say something like... I have been driving for 10 years mostly traveling between work and home and I haven't really needed it then; therefore its a waste of money.

For the vast majority of peole that did buy it say something like... I wasn't sure how much I would use it, but now that I have it, I will never buy another car without it. Its that good.

I, for one, bought it and I can honestly say it changes your life (like TIVO for cable). You no longer feel like a complete idiot calling up your friend sixteen times for directions. You no longer stop at a gas station to ask some guy you don't trust anyways for directions. You no longer drive around for half an hour trying to find the stupid gas station. The list goes on and on...

My prediction: every car will have it in ten years.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Maybe I should clarify—I interpreted "using" it to mean that I have a destination programmed and the Navi guiding me down a route. I always have the map turned on unless I'm only going a really short distance. I sometimes put on the audio screen for XM information (usually if I turn to baseball, hockey, or one of the ACC channels and I want to see the score and period without waiting for the announcers), but I normally display the map.

Guess that's a question of how one interpreted the original question.
Well that's my use of it. Since it allows me to see alterate routes I see the navi system as useful. Now the guided directions, sure when ever I go to a new place. But since I normally travel to familiar places (work, school, home, friends home, etc) I dont use it the majority of the time. I dont think anyone does if thats the case unless youre a delivery person or have a job similar to that.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Most weekends I load up the NAV and pick a restaraunt at complete random and go there to eat with turn by turn instructions. Its fun to try new things
Old 03-03-2006, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

Bought an 05 TL in late Dec for my wife, with NAV.

She loves it.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
It's my wife's car and she uses the navi all the time. I've had most of the systems and I think this is the most user friendly.

I have voice activated stuff on this and two other cars and never use it. Fun on the test drive though.

I think the only knock off on the nav is that you have to go through that screen to access the audio. You want really madening, try a Lexus.
how so??? you can access the audio by just uding the buttons..... do you mean a visual aid and the special commands ie rpt track, rpt disc, etc???

but we love the navi and it has saves us many times

wish it were a little faster but you can get a computer nav for that
Old 03-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Cruisin'

Navi Nazi

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3

I think the only knock off on the nav is that you have to go through that screen to access the audio. Everytime you start the car the navi nazi makes you assure that you won't sue before you can see the radio stations.
There are ways around the Navi Nazi - as you refer. Check the blog. Not for the faint of heart, but doable - and you can even add your own new message or picture!

BTW - I had an 02 Toyota with nav before my 04 TL and liked it better, except the Acura nav allows you to operate it while driving - a big plus over the Toyo/Lex system.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:49 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Navi is the only way to go. Highly accurate, even in the woods of New Hampshire.

More importantly, this will increase your value and help during resale/trade in. It's a no brainer.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:46 PM
4th Gear

okay, I've been trolling this board trying to get info on TL's with NAV and I came across this. The one thing I'm surprised is that someone hasn't metioned the BEST reason for having a NAV system... "Where do you want to eat?"

I dunno about everyone else. But, that question is the ONE question that drives me and everyone else NUTS! Why? Cause then it's inevitably followed by the next question, "... I dunno... What's close to us?" Even in the city that I've grown up in all my life I don't know the names AND phone numbers to every restaurant. Now, that I'm married and have two young sons THAT question isn't so easily answered. Plus I've got to take into account what my sons will or won't eat. Then my wife puts in her two cents... Several minutes later it just causes me and my wife to be frustrated with one another. Having a NAV system just simplifies things SOOOOO much... Now when this comes up we look at the list of what's near us and BAM! the question gets answered relatively painlessly. I love it!

Every car I get from now on will have one of these. It's for this very reason that I'm looking for a TL (my wife has an 2002 MDX w/NAV). Also, I just love how you can find a phone number while driving cause it helps us to call ahead. Whether we call ahead to order food, ask if something is in stock, what a store's hours might be, whatever. Having the NAV system is just so convenient. Especially when my sons are napping in the back. Anyways, that's my two cents.

now back to my trolling for more info on how upgrading the stereo will affect a NAV system....
Old 03-05-2006, 06:41 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by xtin
Most weekends I load up the NAV and pick a restaraunt at complete random and go there to eat with turn by turn instructions. Its fun to try new things

It's been mentioned, and agreed, it is a great idea/excuse for navi as well.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
10th Gear

Plus the '07 TL will

have Zagat ratings for restaurants just like the '06 TSX and MDX
Old 03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The best part of the Navi is that you'll never be one of the 1000's of those banging their heads into the wall looking back wishing they HAD gotten it.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 PM

Last night a friend and I were driving home from Charlottesville after the basketball game and started playing with the Navi for fun. "Find nearest titty bar" doesn't work. Neither does "Find nearest gentlemen's club."

It interpreted "Find nearest brothel" as "Find nearest hotel" and gave directions to a Super 8 in Fredericksburg.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Advanced

I think Charlottesville get's shipped the "conservative" TL Navi system where those destinations are omitted.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Cruisin'

Use the Navi

I am so glad I got it for my wife (I never expected I would use it, nor ask for directions). Ah, who am I kidding?!?! It helps ME find those places she wants to go to, even local places. I meet a friend who invite us over and they issist on giving directions... but all I need to do is ask for his/her address and I am there. It's great for when the kid asks "Are we there yet?"... "Not for another 3 minutes... can you count to 60 three times?"

And if you are looking for a place when you are away from home; you can simply ask for it by type "find nearest seafood restaurant". Or, you can type it in. And when the map is a bit out of date, (i.e. a store you are looking for has moved), you can just use your bluetooth connected cell phone to call the number on the display. (done that enough times to pay for itself... don't have to go back home and use dexonline.com).

Get it! It is so worth it! You won't believe how much you will actually use it.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Advanced

I use mine constantly but I'm always off driving to new locations in NJ. I like to explore and see different things on the weekends so I just plug the place I want to see in the system and I go see it. It also provides a good measure of comfort in that if you ever did get lost you have something to get you unlost or find a hospital or police station. I would never get a car again without it but would be nicer to see it not be a $2,000 option. I think that will come down in time like other options once it's more mass produced.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Racer

I use the Navi quite often when I go to new places... And its also cool to have the voice commands and additional features that come with the Navi..
Old 03-09-2006, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

I don't necessarily think I NEED the Navi...but then again, all we really need is 4 wheels and and engine to get where we are going. Why did we all buy the TL?...because it rocks and when you are already shelling out 33k, what's another 2k...right? I like the screen on sometimes even if I am not using it...kind of like when you have the TV on just for some background. Just my

JT
Old 03-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Undercover Slacker

i have a tsx no-navi, if i could do it all over again, it would be a tsx WITH navi!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Cruisin'

my wife uses it to find patients

Hospice Nurse that has to make the last visit. much easer for her to program address , then "go home"

Quick Reply: How much do you use your TL's navigation system?